Default Suzuki engines?

Hi-

I'm looking at a boat advertised in craigslist that looks to be very
close to what I want. However, the motor is a 15hp Suzuki outboard.
According to the owner it is a 89 or 90, 2 stroke, pull start. He
claims it ran fine until last year when he "put some bad gas thru it".
So my question for y'all does this sound worth pursuing anyway? The
price he is asking for the boat, trailer and motor is less than the
new price of the boat alone, and about 1/2 what I've seen competitive
listings for the same boat go for. For example, I talked to one fellow
yesterday who wanted $5k for the same model boat with a equally old
25HP merc on it. This fellow is only asking $2k. So I think I could
put some $$$ into engine servicing and still be ahead.

I don't know anything about Suzuki outboards, what their rep is, or
how many $$ a major servicing (for example, carb rebuild) would take,
so any net.wisdom is appreciated.

Thanks,

-dm
Tim Tim is offline

wrote:
Hi-

I'm looking at a boat advertised in craigslist that looks to be very
close to what I want. However, the motor is a 15hp Suzuki outboard.
According to the owner it is a 89 or 90, 2 stroke, pull start. He
claims it ran fine until last year when he "put some bad gas thru it".
So my question for y'all does this sound worth pursuing anyway?

Eh, I don't know. of course, it's up to you. I wonder what he meant by
"bad gas" . Was it old? could be the carbs are gummed up. did he mean
"bad gas" because he didn't ahve the oil mixed or mixed with it
properly? Could mean the engine is toast.
Would it insult the guy if you asked him to let a reputable mechanic
look it it?

If it would, then I'd back out of the deal. pronto. best to be
doubtful and be money ahead, then buy now only to find out you got
junk.

On Mar 18, 12:52 pm, Tim wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Oh I haven't entered into any deal yet. Just exchanged one email with
the guy. I'm trying to determine whether it is even worth going beyond
this. I would probably make a condition of any deal that (1) the
engine has to start, even if it runs badly and (2) we do a compression
check.

As I said, at the price he is asking he is probably giving the motor
away for free. I just don't want to find myself with a $2k repair
bill. Even with a $1k repair bill, I would probably be ahead.

-dm

wrote in message
[...]

Assuming the boat and trailer are also late 80s'........ I'd be interested
in what kind of boat it is.
What would a new version of this package go for this time of year?

Tim Tim is offline

wrote:
On Mar 18, 12:52 pm, Tim wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Well, when yoou look at it like that then you're probably doing OK.
Yes, I'd at least ask what he meant by "bad gas" before I made the
consideration though. i wonder what a new power head would cost?

Suzuki 2hp Tell Tale Johnny General 5 October 24th 06 02:12 AM
1985 Suzuki DT 25 Barny General 0 November 5th 05 04:48 PM
200 hp Suzuki Mike Loran General 0 April 27th 04 04:47 AM
150 HP Suzuki Steven General 0 April 14th 04 09:26 PM
Suzuki Outboards Messing In Boats General 19 February 21st 04 02:53 AM