Default Way OT, but a "cold war" question. who were the "Pinkos?"

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 07:20:56 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:

My dasughter asked me this last night and I realy didn't know how to
answer her.

since the Russian Revoloution in 1917, and the overthrow of the Czar,
the US refered to the C.C.C.P. an the "Reds".

OK, where did the "Pinko" term come into effect?

Was it the eventual Eastern Bloc nations? or say , Castro's Cuba?

I'm curious, who were the "Pinko's?

Probably somebody already answered this correctly, but I don't care.

It comes from the term "parlor pink" which basically referred to who
believed in the communal concept of social engineering, but were
largely products of western style capitalism. To put it another way,
"parlor pinks" were of the elite intellectual who benefitted from the
capitalist system, but were enamoured of the communist concept.

Think limousine liberal as an analogy.

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 10:25:45 -0500, "Reginald P. Smithers III"
"Reggie is Here wrote:

Tim wrote:
My dasughter asked me this last night and I realy didn't know how to
answer her.

since the Russian Revoloution in 1917, and the overthrow of the Czar,
the US refered to the C.C.C.P. an the "Reds".

OK, where did the "Pinko" term come into effect?

Was it the eventual Eastern Bloc nations? or say , Castro's Cuba?

I'm curious, who were the "Pinko's?

Pinko refers to any communist, as in "You Commie Pinko F*g"

That's Long Haired Hippy Type Pinko Fag.

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 17:00:15 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Tim" wrote in message

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Like I said, I'm rusty on the subject. But, corruption isn't the point,
since our economic and political system is also rife with corrupt
characters, some of whom make no effort to hide it.

Well, to a degree it actually is.

When you are supposed to develop a working class euphoria and end up
being one of the "have all's" and everybody else is a "have not". I
really wouldn't say thats a good form of leading by example.

But true, I suppose we do have more than our share of bilkers.

Be prepared to puke:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/15/us...th&oref=slogin

More worthy of a puke:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/29/us...29oppo.html?hp

No reading necessary.
--
John H

HK HK is offline

wrote:

"Tim" wrote in message

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Like I said, I'm rusty on the subject. But, corruption isn't the point,
since our economic and political system is also rife with corrupt
characters, some of whom make no effort to hide it.
Well, to a degree it actually is.

When you are supposed to develop a working class euphoria and end up
being one of the "have all's" and everybody else is a "have not". I
really wouldn't say thats a good form of leading by example.

But true, I suppose we do have more than our share of bilkers.

Be prepared to puke:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/15/us...th&oref=slogin

More worthy of a puke:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/29/us...29oppo.html?hp

No reading necessary.

It isn't going to be that difficult to defeat a Republican candidate who
wants a "forever" war, says he has no real understanding of economics,
and is the standard bearer of a political party that brought us the
current recession, ignored the looming housing crisis, did nothing to
even try to alleviate rising energy prices, is vehemently anti-science,
and wants to deport 12 million Latinos.

McCain is a decent man, and he is going to be slaughtered at the polls
this November.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/28/us...er&oref=slogin

wrote:

"Tim" wrote in message

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Like I said, I'm rusty on the subject. But, corruption isn't the point,
since our economic and political system is also rife with corrupt
characters, some of whom make no effort to hide it.

Well, to a degree it actually is.

When you are supposed to develop a working class euphoria and end up
being one of the "have all's" and everybody else is a "have not". I
really wouldn't say thats a good form of leading by example.

But true, I suppose we do have more than our share of bilkers.

Be prepared to puke:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/15/us...th&oref=slogin

More worthy of a puke:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/29/us...29oppo.html?hp

No reading necessary.

Of course, that article is not relevant to the concept in the article I
posted. But considering what you are, this isn't surprising.

wrote:

"Tim" wrote in message

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

[...]

Harry, go back to playing with JimH.
--
John H

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 18:08:45 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Tim" wrote in message

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Like I said, I'm rusty on the subject. But, corruption isn't the point,
since our economic and political system is also rife with corrupt
characters, some of whom make no effort to hide it.

Well, to a degree it actually is.

When you are supposed to develop a working class euphoria and end up
being one of the "have all's" and everybody else is a "have not". I
really wouldn't say thats a good form of leading by example.

But true, I suppose we do have more than our share of bilkers.

Be prepared to puke:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/15/us...th&oref=slogin

More worthy of a puke:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/29/us...29oppo.html?hp

No reading necessary.

Of course, that article is not relevant to the concept in the article I
posted. But considering what you are, this isn't surprising.

Oh, I thought you were talking about puking.
--
John H

Senior Member

wrote:

My dasughter asked me this last night and I realy didn't know how to
answer her.

since the Russian Revoloution in 1917, and the overthrow of the Czar,
the US refered to the C.C.C.P. an the "Reds".

OK, where did the "Pinko" term come into effect?

Was it the eventual Eastern Bloc nations? or say , Castro's Cuba?

I'm curious, who were the "Pinko's?

Probably somebody already answered this correctly, but I don't care.

It comes from the term "parlor pink" which basically referred to who
believed in the communal concept of social engineering, but were
largely products of western style capitalism. *To put it another way,
"parlor pinks" were of the elite intellectual who benefitted from the
capitalist system, but were enamoured of the communist concept.

Think limousine liberal as an analogy.

I was right, I was right!
Senior Member

"Reggie is Here wrote:

Tim wrote:
My dasughter asked me this last night and I realy didn't know how to
answer her.

since the Russian Revoloution in 1917, and the overthrow of the Czar,
the US refered to the C.C.C.P. an the "Reds".

OK, where did the "Pinko" term come into effect?

Was it the eventual Eastern Bloc nations? or say , Castro's Cuba?

I'm curious, who were the "Pinko's?

Pinko refers to any communist, as in "You Commie Pinko F*g"

That's Long Haired Hippy Type Pinko Fag.

Hey, I resemble that remark! Well except for the pinko and fag
parts..