Default $100.88

The price of a bbl of oil last night.

Average retail price for a gallon of unleaded regular, in this state,
is now $3.35. That's up 85-cents from the same time last year. Premium
typically runs about 30 cents more. The annual spring price gouge we
have endured each of the last several years should be getting underway
very soon, as the
refiners all claim to be passing along the costs of converting from
winter to summer formulations.

The challenge for boaters who don't care and say, "We can afford to
pay for fuel, regardless of the cost", will be the disappearing
infrastructure.

When the working man has to give up boating because he can't afford to
fuel up for a weekend's outing, it guts the infrastructure that
everybody depends on. Without the critical mass of the small boaters,
many of the service businesses and retailers upon which the entire
boating community relies cannot remain in business. There is less
justification for the state to set aside marine parks or otherwise
prioritize boating recreation.

I wish I had a solution. I don't. But when poor families are facing a
"heat or eat" decision every week while BIGOILCO makes $40-billion
profits
it's possible to see the human tragedy in play, even without being
able to identify a solution.

"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
The price of a bbl of oil last night.

Average retail price for a gallon of unleaded regular, in this state,
is now $3.35. That's up 85-cents from the same time last year. Premium
typically runs about 30 cents more. The annual spring price gouge we
have endured each of the last several years should be getting underway
very soon, as the
refiners all claim to be passing along the costs of converting from
winter to summer formulations.

snip..

Wow...wish I could buy regular self serve for that price.
At 1.18 per liter... we pay at the rate of $4.46 per US gallon

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 08:12:53 -0800 (PST), Chuck Gould
wrote:

I wish I had a solution. I don't. But when poor families are facing a
"heat or eat" decision every week while BIGOILCO makes $40-billion
profits it's possible to see the human tragedy in play, even without
being able to identify a solution.

Don't think there is a "solution". There is a built in speculation
factor which is based on too much free cash looking for a profit which
has migrated out of normal channels and moved into commodities.

It's a bubble and like all bubbles, it has to work itself out.

It will, but it will take time.
Tim Tim is offline

Chuck Gould wrote:

I wish I had a solution. I don't. But when poor families are facing a
"heat or eat" decision every week while BIGOILCO makes $40-billion
profits

40 Bil.

is That all?????

[...]

And this is with a gasoline surplus.. Just wait till supplies run low.

Ouch.

db

D-unit wrote:
[...]

No mystery here...just bend over for Big Oil and its facilitators in the
Bush Administration.

"Chuck Gould" wrote in message

I wish I had a solution. I don't. But when poor families are facing a
"heat or eat" decision every week while BIGOILCO makes $40-billion
profits.......................

A few things to remember:

1. You are not entitled to anything... cheap gasoline included.

2. The point of setting up a for-profit business is TO MAKE A PROFIT.

3. Exxon does not set the price of oil.

4. Exxon's profit margins are around 10%, not unreasonable when you compare
it to Pfizer, which manages to make 17% on the backs of the sick and dying.
Exxon also paid 30 billion in corporate taxes last year which is more than
the combined total income tax paid by the bottom 50% of tax payers in the
US.

Total taxes paid by Exxon exceed 120 billion if you include all taxes
(franchise, payroll, property, severance and excise taxes). Their total
corporate tax was over 300k per employee.

5. If you are unhappy with the price of gasoline, you may, at any time, take
a train, ride a bike, walk, or ride the bus. All of these options will
reduce your energy costs.

Full disclosure- I am a shareholder of Exxon :-)

Senior Member

On Feb 27, 1:00*pm, hkrause wrote:
D-unit wrote:
[...]

Bush Administration.- Hide quoted text -

Did you ever think our enemies who seem to control the oil and
terrorism have nothing to do with this? It is a fact that you can not
dispute that these terrorist regimes want to raise the prices and make
the repubs look bad and get voted out of office. After all, repubs
shoot back when we are attacked, dems talk....

"hkrause" wrote in message ...
D-unit wrote:
[...]

I've managed to "stick it to them" by:

1. Buying a beater 4-cylinder Honda for my running around. (which amounts
to about 90% of my travel. Im considering putting a 2" receiver hitch on
the Honda and buying a lightweight trailer for light hauling. This will
eliminate another 5%. About the only time I'll need my truck is for heavy
hauling, RV duties, etc.

2. Managing my trips into town better. i.e. Waiting to go to the DMV until my
prescription is ready. 2 for 1 trips, as it were.

3. Selling my Mako (twin yamy's) and purchasing a skiff. Its really all I need.

Unless someone invents/discovers a cheap clean source of energy, Many wars
will be fought over what little we have. We should do all we can to curb our
appetite for petroleum. If we can cut our use by 5-10% and continue finding
alternate sources to further this trend, we may avoid the impending doom that
surely awaits when so called "peak oil" ...er....peaks.

Its coming soon. We should postpone it.

db out.