Roger

Default How do I find out what year my Merc is?

Hi all, how do I determine what year my Mercury motor is? There's no
year printed on it anywhere; I need to buy a book on it. Is the year in
the serial number by any chance?

Thanks
Rog
Gfretwell

Is the year in
the serial number by any chance?

Sort of, the year can be termined by the serial number. Outboards really don't
have a "year" like cars but they do know which year any given motor was made at
the dealer.

Tony Thomas

Not sure what you mean by "Outboards really don't have a "year" like cars".
They certainly do. The model year changes in July of each year.
I would want to know what year the engine was if buying.

--
Tony
My boats and autos - http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"Gfretwell" wrote in message
Is the year in
the serial number by any chance?

Sort of, the year can be termined by the serial number. Outboards really

don't
have a "year" like cars but they do know which year any given motor was

made at
the dealer.

Gfretwell

Not sure what you mean by "Outboards really don't have a "year" like cars".
They certainly do. The model year changes in July of each year.

That is purely marketing hype. If you go looking for parts or anything relating
to technical details you better take a serial number. The "year" is
meaningless.

Tony Thomas

That is how the books are laid out. GM could do the same thing on their
350 engine. Same engine from say 196x to 197x. Just a matter of how they
keep up w/ it. On the other hand - OMC don't need the serial number. The
model number tells them what year.

F/S MERC PARTS C/D RWells1442 General 0 August 13th 03 04:53 PM
Merc. Parts C/D ver 4.1 and Price List on C/D -- F/S RWells1442 General 0 August 1st 03 04:29 PM
Merc 4 Cylinder I/O Charging System Conversion? WBucha General 1 July 28th 03 11:40 PM
Merc outboard leaks oil Ty General 0 July 24th 03 09:05 PM
Merc dies shifting into reverse - help plz LeeC General 2 July 15th 03 02:23 PM