BoatBanter.com

-   -   How do I find out what year my Merc is? (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/914-how-do-i-find-out-what-year-my-merc.html)

Roger September 1st 03 10:41 PM

How do I find out what year my Merc is?

Hi all, how do I determine what year my Mercury motor is? There's no
year printed on it anywhere; I need to buy a book on it. Is the year in
the serial number by any chance?

Thanks
Rog

Gfretwell September 1st 03 10:51 PM

How do I find out what year my Merc is?

Is the year in
the serial number by any chance?

Sort of, the year can be termined by the serial number. Outboards really don't
have a "year" like cars but they do know which year any given motor was made at
the dealer.

John Wentworth September 2nd 03 12:59 AM

How do I find out what year my Merc is?

Go to http://www.marinshopen.se/ , click on Modellguide, then select Mercury, then find your Hp and serial number. The site is
non-English speaking, but you'll figure it out.

Tony Thomas September 2nd 03 02:58 AM

How do I find out what year my Merc is?

Not sure what you mean by "Outboards really don't have a "year" like cars".
They certainly do. The model year changes in July of each year.
I would want to know what year the engine was if buying.

--
Tony
My boats and autos - http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

Gfretwell September 2nd 03 04:41 AM

How do I find out what year my Merc is?

Not sure what you mean by "Outboards really don't have a "year" like cars".
They certainly do. The model year changes in July of each year.

That is purely marketing hype. If you go looking for parts or anything relating
to technical details you better take a serial number. The "year" is
meaningless.

Tony Thomas September 2nd 03 12:32 PM

How do I find out what year my Merc is?

That is how the books are laid out. GM could do the same thing on their
350 engine. Same engine from say 196x to 197x. Just a matter of how they
keep up w/ it. On the other hand - OMC don't need the serial number. The
model number tells them what year.