Default Rotten Apples (Ghost Ships, part II)

A preview of my column for the March 19 issue. Thought I'd do my bit
to help spread the word about this guy.....

Rotten Apples

A "mirage" is something that appears very real, but upon closer
inspection proves to be only an optical illusion. Likewise, hunters or
nature photographers tracking down an elusive cat in an Asian jungle
might rely on "tiger tracks" to help locate a predatory animal laying
in ambush along a trail. The Hollywood version of a pirate flag,
(black with skull and crossbones), is often referred to as the "Jolly
Roger". What do these terms for a false impression, the sign left by a
deadly predator, and a reference to thievery on the high seas have in
common? Mirage, Tiger Trax, and Jolly Roger are trademarks used by
boat manufacturing companies owned by Phillip Warnock.

Public records reveal that in 1985 Phillip Warnock entered into a
consent agreement with the Washington State Attorney General. The AG's
office accused Warnock of collecting money for boats he never intended
to deliver, and to avoid prosecution Warnock agreed to abstain from
such practices in the future. The Attorney General kept a watchful eye
on Warnock's subsequent non-compliance with the consent decree, and in
1993 filed a134-count indictment charging Phillip Warnock with
defrauding customers, suppliers, and employees. Warnock pled "guilty"
to at least some of the charges and was sentenced to prison.

By 2002, Warnock was out of prison and building "Tiger Trax" ski
boats. At least he appeared to building boats. An investigation by
Seattle television station KING 5 at that time alleged that Warnock
was once again promising deep discounts to any buyers willing to pay
for a boat before it was manufactured. Some of the unlucky would-be
purchasers expressed frustration with what appeared to be total non-
performance. One individual complained that he brought a boat to one
of Warnock's companies for repair, and was unable to get the boat
returned. This missing boat was eventually discovered abandoned in a
field, stripped of the engine, the outdrive, and everything else of
value that was removable from the hull. It has been alleged (but not
in the 2002 KING 5 broadcast) that this particular vessel was
originally built by another manufacturer, and illegally "splashed" by
Warnock to create a mold for a new model of Tiger Trax ski boat.

In the last several years, Warnock's manufacturing business has been
located for various intervals in Auburn, Union, and Tacoma.
Allegations of overdue rent, unmet payrolls, and unpaid suppliers seem
to follow Warnock's operations wherever he goes. Bankrupt marine
companies associated with Warnock include Gaelic Marine, Sunday's
Marine Corp, Fibertech, and New Jolly Roger Marine.

A KING 5 newscast early in 2008 revealed that Warnock's previously
admitted and recently alleged misdeeds may not be entirely behind him.
A former manager at Warnock's freshly shuttered Tacoma plant claimed
that the company "never finished a single boat." A woman who paid
$25,000 for a Mirage boat at a charity auction has an almost-finished
boat, parked outside a Tacoma area upholstery shop. The shop claims
that Mirage owes $6000 in unpaid upholstery charges, and will not
release the boat until either Warnock or the customer clears the bill.
The customer also states she learned that the charity (Ronald McDonald
House) was slated to receive only $3000 of her winning bid- and that
to date the charity has not seen a dime.

Sad as this continuing drama may be, for everyone fortunate enough to
avoid being among Phillip Warnock's alleged victims there's a sterling
silver lining. The very few rotten apples in the boating business
absolutely have not spoiled the barrel. Well over 95% of the
individuals and firms with whom we are in regular contact are honest
and ethical. We do not knowingly accept advertising from any who are
not. It's an easy standard to uphold, due in part to the unique nature
of boating related businesses. "Get rich quick" schemers aren't
generally attracted to boat selling or the marine trades. Some
fortunate folks may indeed wind up relatively rich after a lifetime of
hard work- but it tends to be a long, slow, legitimate process based
upon delivering outstanding customer service rather than a short
interval of slick con jobs and broken promises. Others will never
accumulate incredible financial wealth, but are content to earn a
modest living in a "people business" career that dovetails with their
personal recreational interests.

I worked in the automobile business for about 15 years, beginning as a
salesman on "the line" and progressing until I was a partner in a new
car dealership and owner of an independent used car lot. The long
immersion in an industry with a checkered reputation clearly
demonstrated that in some dealerships and among some individual auto
salespeople the bad press is definitely deserved. Automobile dealers
are used to beginning every turn at the plate with two strikes already
called and a defensive, (likely even hostile), umpire looking for any
excuse to toss the batter entirely out of the game. (The secret to
success in the auto business is to disarm the customers by dealing
honestly.)

It would be a shame to see the antagonistic attitude of so many car
shoppers become commonplace in the boat business, and with alleged bad
actors like Phillip Warnock representing only a tiny minority of boat
builders and dealers there is no need to turn the purchase of a
pleasure boat into an unpleasant experience. Buyers are well advised
to exercise normal prudence, carefully consider any and all sales
claims, do at least a little comparison shopping, and bear in mind
that anything that sounds "too good to be true" likely is not. While
one should be wary of accidentally selecting a random rotten apple,
the very good news is that the barrel consists of an overwhelming
number of decently firm and delicious choices unwilling to compromise
integrity or be spoiled by the rare exceptions to the rule.

"Tim" wrote in message

Don White wrote:
As one who got burned on a small scale buying a new boat trailer from a
backyard operation, I agree with you.
If you have an active Better Business Bureau in your area, it would be
best
to checkout if the seller/dealer/manufacturer is a member and if there
are
any complaints lodged against them.
This would have saved me a highway breakdown and a $600.00 loss.

Don, was that the new trailer you bought last year or so?

If so, what happened?

Yup Ordered from Shipright Trailers... right here in Nova Scotia.
Here's my complaint to the Better Business Bureau.
I mailed similar complaints about the important safety issues to the Highway
Safety offices of the three provinces affected by this and also to Transport
Canada because their 'compliance label' was affixed to the trailer.

"Better Business Bureau
Of the Maritime Provinces Inc.

I would like to lodge a complaint regarding a Shipright boat trailer vin #
2M9BT211430157013

I purchased from Main Street Woodworkers & Marine Supply

RR #2 Cole Harbour, Guysborough Co 902 358-2979

Web site: http://shiprighttrailers.com/

This custom built trailer was ordered in April of 2006 with clear
instructions that it must have a capacity to hold 2000 pounds.

Letter re-stating specifications with $600.00 downpayment sent to Mike
VanDer Putten on April 04 2006 (see copy)

On April 09 additional three items in specification e-mailed to VanDer
Putten. (see copy)

The only change after this was instructions by phone to upgrade to 13"
tires, rather than the smaller 12" ones that VanDer Putten insisted were
fine.

Received call that trailer was ready and made arrangements to meet at
shopping mall parking lot outside Antogonish on Wednesday, June 13 2006.

Accepted the trailer and paid the remainder of the $2645.00 (includes HST)
total price.

On the way home I stopped at a highway weigh station and dis-connected the
trailer from my truck to weigh the trailer. To my surprise it weighed 280kg
or 617 pounds....

So the trailer was actually 37% heavier than stated on the 'New Vehicle
Information Statement'.

The first signs of unsatisfactory design became apparant when I transfered
my sailboat from the original trailer to my new Shipright trailer.

Even at the new ramp in Bedford, I couldn't 'float my sailboat onto the rear
bunks. I had to force the boat up onto and over the bunks by winching every
step of the way.

The 'loading guides' were just welded steel re-bar on a small square tubing
base, covered by a foam cover. The square tubing wasn't long enough to
properly secure when set at the 7' 1" width required at the widest point on
the hull and the foam kept slipping down, exposing the boats rubrail to the
protuding metal...eventually gouging it.

The telescoping tongue I ordered to help in launching only added 18" and
when the boat was properly set up re tongue weight, a u-bolt had to be
un-fastened each time to use this feature besides the two connecting bolts.

When he arrived at my house later that summer to but my old trailer, I
pointed out the problems and asked advice. He said he would fabricate a new
trailer in the fall and exchange it for mine. That was the last I heard from
him. When I asked him what happened to the replacement trailer this August
(2007) he said I had 'badmouthed' him on he CL boatsite by reporting the
facts so he didn't feel he should help me.

Serious problem....

When I took the trailer to be safety checked at the end of July 2007, the
mechanic told me the rear U bolts holding the angle iron part of the
suspension assembly was right up against the spring shackle. He said this
didn't allow the shackle to pivot and the springs to flex. I had to move the
U bolts back before he would pass the trailer. (see scrape marks just
forward of the U bolt in the photo.)

On the first road trip I took with the boat loaded on the trailer (2nd
actual usage), The suspension collapsed somewhere between Salisbury and
Hartland in New Brunswick.

After stopping for gas, we discovered that the rear shackle had flattened
out up against the frame allowing the fenders to drop down onto the tires.
This wore a hole through the heavy steel fender and took approx 2/3rds of
the thread on the right side. The left tire lost about 1/3rd of its thread
due to the friction at highway speeds.

Note: see photo

We overnighted in the Hartland area and left the boat/trailer at TC Trailer
& Welding Services at Jacksonville NB. They tried a shorter, heavier 23.5"
spring, but that was too short, so they ended up installing heavier 26"
springs (same length as original) but questioned the way the trailer was
fabricated. We left but only got about 100 kms down the road where a visual
inspection showed the same shackle problem developing. Next, at Jasons (TC
Welding) suggestion, we went to L.C.D. Entreprise Ltee in St-Jacques, NB

The manager there was advised by the TC people of the problem and he
immediately assigned his people to weld new spring pivot points on the
trailer.

The original piviot points were 25" center to center for 26" springs.

The new points are 26.25" center to center.

I was able to continue on to Ontario and the trip was uneventfull from that
point on.

When I arrived back home I contacted Mike VanDer Putten and explained the
problem and the costs I incured.

After numerous calls and e-mails, it was obvious Shipright was not going to
take any responsibilty for the shoddy workmanship on the trailer.

In fact he was very irrational, more upset (badmouthing he called it) that
my travelling partner was posting a 'travelogue' of our trip on the CL
Boatworks forum and dared mention our problem than the potential accident
that could have happened. He decided it was the fault of the spring
manufacturer, claiming that the 'cheap made in India' springs weren't up to
standard.

This went along for a month and a half while he tried to convince his
supplier .. Max at Morko in Kingston Ontario, ( 1 800 267-7827) that they
should make good on the damages.

VanDer Putten continually tried to remove himself from the proceedings and
finally I said I'd talk to Morko directly. It took about 5 minutes to
discover that VanDer Putten had been feeding them incorrect information
leading Morko to chase down a manufacturers rep for some potential
compensation.

I informed Morko that the springs did not break as claimed and when I
provided the stamped numbers on the bands, we found out the springs were
1150 pound capacity ones that were made in Calgary. Morko was quite upset by
this revelation.

To summerize...

A: The true weight of the trailer was under-reported by over a third on
official documents.

B: The trailer is listed as G.V.W.R. of 2000 lbs. As I understand this..when
the 617 pound trailer is subtracted, the boat is limited to 1383
pounds...far short of the 2000 carrying capacity I ordered.

C: U-bolts were installed in a way that restricted the free movement of the
springs and I'm told could have caused the springs to break if I hadn't
moved them

D: The pivot eyes were welded too close together, causing the rear spring
shackle to flatten out and stay pinned against the frame... which lowered
the fenders on top of the tires, a potential tire blowout almost assured if
it hadn't been caught at re-fueling time.

This put my safety, my passengers and every driver we passed on the road at
risk.

Morko said the pivot points for the 5015 springs should have been 25.75"
center to center.. not the 25" fabricated by Shipright.

: My financial loses on these events $282.73 in repairs

$200.00 allowance given to purchaser of boat/trailer

to cover severe wear on new tires and holes in

metal fenders.

$172.00 flush transmission of burned fluid (at 14000 KM)

due to strain hauling trailer with fenders sitting

on tires.

Please see attached copies of e-mail specification list, New Vehicle
Information Statement, photo, invoice and repair information."

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...dezvous004.jpg

"Tim" wrote in message
I'd say that was an thourogh write up. Don, did you finally get some
type of satisfaction? Or any type of investigation by the BBB?

No..i knew the BBB was next to useless. They wouldn't process my complaint
because I had sold the boat/trailer.
I really just wanted them to keep the complaint on file in case someone else
was smart enough to call them before buying a new trailer.

The transport canada people wanted photos of the compliance plate. What a
hassle... the nitwit had mounted in on the aft side of the 1st cross member.
vvery hard to get a clear look at it with the boat on the trailer. I don't
know what kind of etcher/engraver he used to enter the data, but it was hard
to make out looking directly at it let alone photographing it. I sent them
the best clearest picture I could manage.

I got a call from the office of the provincial vehicle Safety Inspection
people. They were more interested in going after the mechanic who declared
it inspected and affixed the 1st yearly safety sticker.

That's it so far. This province is a bit rinky dink and backwards
concerning consumer protection.

My only option to try and recover money was to throw another couple hundred
at the Small Claims Court system and hiring sheriffs to deliver documents at
$80 a pop. Even they are very weak at enforcing judgements. It would be
up to me to keep chasing the idiot down to try and collect.
i haven't totally written it off, I have to tre and decide if my chances of
collecting are worth further investment of money.

Tim Tim is offline

Don White wrote:
i haven't totally written it off, I have to tre and decide if my chances of
collecting are worth further investment of money.

Eh, at this venture, if it was my situation, I think I'd cut the loses
and chalk this one up to experience and move on. But I'd rememeber
that this is the last time it would happen to me.

Tim wrote:

Don White wrote:
i haven't totally written it off, I have to tre and decide if my chances of
collecting are worth further investment of money.

Eh, at this venture, if it was my situation, I think I'd cut the loses
and chalk this one up to experience and move on. But I'd rememeber
that this is the last time it would happen to me.

I would definitely take them to small claims court. If Don has stated
the facts correctly he would win. The problem is too often the consumer
assumes some facts, that are proven to be incorrect in court.
Tim Tim is offline

On Feb 20, 5:00*am, "Reginald P. Smithers III" "Reggie is Here
wrote:
Tim wrote:

Don White wrote:
i haven't totally written it off, I have to tre and decide if my chances of
collecting are worth further investment of money.

Eh, at this venture, if it was my situation, I think I'd cut the loses
and chalk this one up to experience and move on. But I'd rememeber
that this is the last time it would happen to me.

I would definitely take them to small claims court. *If Don has stated
the facts correctly he would win. *The problem is too often the consumer
assumes some facts, that are proven to be incorrect in court.

I know it wold probably be different under canadian law, but here' we
would have the extra fees, + time from work +the courts will allow
only an award amout up to and not exceeding $1500.00 If you want more
you have to take it to civil court.

Even if you do get a judgement, you still may not get satisfaction. If
the guy refuses to cooperate, then back to civil court you go. this
time hiring a lawer etc. andyou can get a judgement there too! But no
garentee that you'll come out a head...

been there.

wrote:
Tim wrote:

Don White wrote:
[...]

In my county it is $5000 for Magistrate (small claims) Court.

On Feb 19, 12:25*pm, Tim wrote:
Looks good to me, Chuck. *I'm no legalist, but it looks like a good
article. I'd run with it.

Maybe it will help others from sinking their hard earned dollars into
a bottomless bog.

Chuck Gould wrote:
[...]

integrity or be spoiled by the rare exceptions to the rule.- Hide quoted text -

Like a Zimmerman like lobster boat?