Default GI Bill

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 16:01:14 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 08:22:34 -0600, Vic Smith
wrote:

Saw Jim Webb on C-Span a while ago talking about his and Chuck
Hagel's attempt to get the GI Bill back to where it was before Reagan.
I think the guys putting their lives on the line for us in Iraq and
Afghanistan deserve that. Webb said the educational benefits of that
bill returned 7 to 1 (tax revenues vs costs.)
I'm sure it did in my case. Probably more.
Republicans in the Senate are generally not supporting it.
Creeps.

Once again, the Korean and Vietnam vets get it tucked straight up the
ass.

Moron.

By now, I'd think the Korean and Vietnam vets would have used whatever GI
Bill education benefits they wanted to use.

Webb makes it sound as though the current crop of folks leaving the
military get nothing. They will receive about $1100 per month. Tuition at
George Mason University is $3420 for a full time student taking 12-16
hours. That doesn't seem like such a bad deal to me.
--
John H

wrote:

[...]

My understanding of current GI bill is that you have to contribute if
you want ed benefits. I seem to remember when they changed it
it was quite a downgrade from what I had. Of course pay was quite a
bit higher too, so the bite maybe wasn't as bad as it looked to me.

--Vic

wrote:

[...]

Yes, the contribution is $100 per month for the first 12 months. That was
instituted to get soldiers 'vested' and interested so they would actually
use the benefits. So they pay $1200 and in return get a little over
$39,600. Not a bad investment, if they use it.
--
John H

wrote:

My understanding of current GI bill is that you have to contribute if
you want ed benefits. I seem to remember when they changed it
it was quite a downgrade from what I had. Of course pay was quite a
bit higher too, so the bite maybe wasn't as bad as it looked to me.

--Vic

Yes, the contribution is $100 per month for the first 12 months. That was
instituted to get soldiers 'vested' and interested so they would actually
use the benefits. So they pay $1200 and in return get a little over
$39,600. Not a bad investment, if they use it.
--
John H

I have a hazy memory of it working that way when I entered the service, so
it was in effect in 1968.
We signed some paperwork (with significant encouragement to do so)
authorizing the deduction from our pay when we entered boot camp.

Eisboch

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 11:57:19 -0500, John H.
wrote:

Yes, the contribution is $100 per month for the first 12 months. That was
instituted to get soldiers 'vested' and interested so they would actually
use the benefits. So they pay $1200 and in return get a little over
$39,600. Not a bad investment, if they use it.

That's a lot better than I understood it to be back when.

--Vic

BAR BAR is offline

wrote:

[...]

$1200 buys a portion of a car, lots of beer, some tattoos and you can
date the colonel's daughter.
Tim Tim is offline

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
..

Once again, the Korean and Vietnam vets get it tucked straight up the
ass.

Moron.

Tucked?

how about "CRAMMED!"

.

Once again, the Korean and Vietnam vets get it tucked straight up the
ass.

Moron.

Tucked?

how about "CRAMMED!"

Or replace the "t" with an "f"......

Bill the new guy Joe ASA 63 May 15th 07 01:47 PM
S-786 NWS bill krj Cruising 31 August 8th 05 10:48 PM
Hey, Bill Bobsprit ASA 1 January 21st 04 05:15 PM
Hey Bill Simple Simon ASA 1 August 22nd 03 02:22 PM