Default GI Bill

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 16:01:14 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 08:22:34 -0600, Vic Smith
wrote:

Saw Jim Webb on C-Span a while ago talking about his and Chuck
Hagel's attempt to get the GI Bill back to where it was before Reagan.
I think the guys putting their lives on the line for us in Iraq and
Afghanistan deserve that. Webb said the educational benefits of that
bill returned 7 to 1 (tax revenues vs costs.)
I'm sure it did in my case. Probably more.
Republicans in the Senate are generally not supporting it.
Creeps.

Once again, the Korean and Vietnam vets get it tucked straight up the
ass.

Moron.

Guess you don't know much about it, or just have jerking knees.
From right after WWII until sometime in the 80's, maybe late 70's,
ALL vets were eligible for state school tuition, and a monthly
stipend.
I served 64-67 and that's how - and WHY - I attended college.
What's your beef? Don't like Jim Webb?

--Vic

I don't know how or when the benefit package changed, but I was active duty
from '68 to '77. Continued school after I got out with full GI benefits
and purchased my first house with a VA backed loan.

Eisboch

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 11:38:45 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

I don't know how or when the benefit package changed, but I was active duty
from '68 to '77. Continued school after I got out with full GI benefits
and purchased my first house with a VA backed loan.

As I recall reading it, the change was something like a 100% match of
what you contribute for tuition. So you'd have to contribute $1000 to
get $2000 back.
My tuition was paid in full, no contribution from me. Besides that I
was getting a gov check for $400 a month while in school.
There was a maximum, and I hit it as I finished school.
I doubt I would have attended college without that GI Bill, because
I started late and already had kids.
Didn't use a VA backed loan for my first house as I had 20% down,
which used to be the standard. I recall hearing the VA loans
sometimes were a hassle in Chicago, because an inspection had
to find the house up to all codes, which often required the seller do
some work, making VA buyers less desirable.

--Vic

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
[...]

My experience with the VA backed loan program was different. The guy
showed up, asked me what the house was selling for, then asked if I thought
it was worth it. I said yes, and he signed off on it.

Eisboch

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 10:59:00 -0600, Vic Smith
wrote:

[...]

Vic, the numbers I used in an earlier post are accurate.
--
John H

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 11:38:45 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

I don't know how or when the benefit package changed, but I was active duty
from '68 to '77. Continued school after I got out with full GI benefits
and purchased my first house with a VA backed loan.

Yes you could, but you could get a commercial loan for .25% less than
what the VA authorized and there was considerably less paperwork.

And it wasn't a full "loan" - it was a security backed loan with a
guarenteed down payment - not the full loan like WWII vets got.

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 11:38:45 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

I don't know how or when the benefit package changed, but I was active
duty
from '68 to '77. Continued school after I got out with full GI benefits
and purchased my first house with a VA backed loan.

Yes you could, but you could get a commercial loan for .25% less than
what the VA authorized and there was considerably less paperwork.

And it wasn't a full "loan" - it was a security backed loan with a
guarenteed down payment - not the full loan like WWII vets got.

It really wasn't a loan at all. The VA simply "co-signed" in a way, my
application for a mortgage.

Eisboch

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 10:22:40 -0600, Vic Smith
wrote:

What's your beef? Don't like Jim Webb?

I served '66 to '72 and know full well what $238/month did - squat.
Might have paid for books if you had a light semester. And it did
nothing for out-of-state tuition if you were living somewhere other
than your home state of enlistment.

Do a direct comparision of benefits from WWII and Vietnam. WWII vets
to this day can get totally free education paid for by the VA - can
you?

I don't give a rat's ass about Jim Webb.

Don't even get me started on Veterans Health care.

wrote:

What's your beef? Don't like Jim Webb?

I served '66 to '72 and know full well what $238/month did - squat.
Might have paid for books if you had a light semester. And it did
nothing for out-of-state tuition if you were living somewhere other
than your home state of enlistment.

I got 400 a month with 2 kids and it made all the difference in the
world. State school was fine for me, and books weren't nearly as
expensive as they are for kids now. It really ****es me off when my
kids are forced to pay OVER 200 BUCKS for a book, and there is no
"used book" option. The book/author/teacher scam was alive when I
went to school, but didn't hurt like it does now.

Do a direct comparision of benefits from WWII and Vietnam. WWII vets
to this day can get totally free education paid for by the VA - can
you?

I do recall Webb mentioning WWII vets going to Columbia and Harvard
on the bill, so I see your point. Doubt there was the huge cost
difference then for the WWII vets then though, since those schools
weren't so hoity toity. And Webb did mention what he's pushing for
applies to state schools only.

I don't give a rat's ass about Jim Webb.

Given what John said about current benefits, I'm starting to question
Webb's motives. Since I don't know the details of what Webb wants,
I'll reserve judgement. One thing I don't like about the current
system is opting in, since the enlisting kid might make an error
about needing it in his future. Post-service education wasn't a
thought in my mind when I enlisted. Should be automatic.

--Vic

"Vic Smith" wrote in message

Post-service education wasn't a
thought in my mind when I enlisted. Should be automatic.

--Vic

I hear you.

I also preached to my three kids that "what" school you get your degree from
is nowhere as important as getting a degree. The few exceptions are for
those with career goals in politics or law.

Maybe it's because I was always more tuned into technical disciplines where
a school's "philosophy" had little to do with the laws of physics.

Eisboch

wrote:

What's your beef? Don't like Jim Webb?

I served '66 to '72 and know full well what $238/month did - squat.
Might have paid for books if you had a light semester. And it did
nothing for out-of-state tuition if you were living somewhere other
than your home state of enlistment.

I got 400 a month with 2 kids and it made all the difference in the
world. State school was fine for me, and books weren't nearly as
expensive as they are for kids now. It really ****es me off when my
kids are forced to pay OVER 200 BUCKS for a book, and there is no
"used book" option. The book/author/teacher scam was alive when I
went to school, but didn't hurt like it does now.

You think that's expensive - HA!! Try medical books. :)

Do a direct comparision of benefits from WWII and Vietnam. WWII vets
to this day can get totally free education paid for by the VA - can
you?

I do recall Webb mentioning WWII vets going to Columbia and Harvard
on the bill, so I see your point. Doubt there was the huge cost
difference then for the WWII vets then though, since those schools
weren't so hoity toity. And Webb did mention what he's pushing for
applies to state schools only.

I went to a state school - the problem was that it wasn't the state in
which I enlisted.

Fortunately, after my first semester, I received an academic
scholarship which paid for the tuition - books and living expenses
were still mine.

I don't give a rat's ass about Jim Webb.

Given what John said about current benefits, I'm starting to question
Webb's motives. Since I don't know the details of what Webb wants,
I'll reserve judgement. One thing I don't like about the current
system is opting in, since the enlisting kid might make an error
about needing it in his future. Post-service education wasn't a
thought in my mind when I enlisted. Should be automatic.

I agree with that. I mean, I don't begrudge the current veterans
their due - good for them.

It just annoys me that Korean and Vietnam vets weren't given the same
status as WWII vets.

Sorry if I sounded a little strident. I have issues with Jim Webb
that go back a few years.

Bill the new guy Joe ASA 63 May 15th 07 01:47 PM
S-786 NWS bill krj Cruising 31 August 8th 05 10:48 PM
Hey, Bill Bobsprit ASA 1 January 21st 04 05:15 PM
Hey Bill Simple Simon ASA 1 August 22nd 03 02:22 PM