Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Bill has lost touch with reality

He still has no idea what he said and why he turned off the voters.
It had nothing to do with misquoted, it was videos of his complete
comments that turned voters off.

(CNN) — Bill Clinton says he's learned his lesson.

Speaking with a Maine television station Thursday night, the former
president said the fallout from his comments ahead of the South Carolina
primary last month proved he should only promote his wife’s presidential
candidacy, not defend her.

"Everything I have said has been factually accurate, but I think the
mistake I made was to think I was a spouse just like any other spouse
who could defend his candidate," Bill Clinton told Portland television
station WCSH. "I think I can promote Hillary but not defend her because
I was president." (Watch Bill Clinton's comments)

"I have to let her defend herself or let someone else defend her," he
continued. "But a lot of things that were said were factually
inaccurate. I did not ever criticize Sen. Obama in South Carolina. I
never criticized him personally."

Clinton faced criticism over his seemingly aggressive campaigning in
South Carolina ahead of that state's crucial primary last month, with
charges from some that he had made racially insensitive and divisive
comments. Several prominent African-American leaders took aim at his
remarks, most notably House Majority Whip James Clyburn — the South
Carolina Democrat who has remained neutral in the presidential race but
told CNN the former president needed to "chill."

Exit polls taken on primary night seemed to indicate Bill Clinton's
remarks may have turned off some voters. Obama easily won the primary,
and captured nearly 80 percent of the African-American vote — a group
that had originally supported her candidacy.

Since South Carolina, the former president has kept a lower profile on
the campaign trail, strictly sticking to his talking points and rarely
mentioning Obama by name. He's currently on a swing through Maine and
Louisiana — two states which are set to vote this weekend.

"I think whenever I defend her, I risk being misquoted, and I risk being
the story," Clinton also said in Thursday’s interview. "I don't want to
be the story. This is her campaign, her presidency and her decisions.
And so even if I win the an argument with another candidate, its not the
right thing to do. "I need to promote her but not defend her."

"I learned a very valuable lesson from all that dustup."