Default Vista SP1 available in March

http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/006433.html

"One small catch is that Microsoft will not offer the update to a small
subset of Vista PCs that have been found to have "problematic" device
drivers. Those drivers, Microsoft says, were not installed properly
initially and when Vista SP1 is installed OS problems ensue. For those
systems, "if Windows Update determines that the system has one of the
drivers we know to be problematic, then Windows Update will not offer
SP1," according to the Windows Vista Team Blog. "

LOL, I wonder how one incorrectly installs a device driver?

HK HK is offline

D.Duck wrote:
"Reginald P. Smithers III" "Reggie is Here wrote in message
. ..
http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/006433.html

"One small catch is that Microsoft will not offer the update to a small
subset of Vista PCs that have been found to have "problematic" device
drivers. Those drivers, Microsoft says, were not installed properly
initially and when Vista SP1 is installed OS problems ensue. For those
systems, "if Windows Update determines that the system has one of the
drivers we know to be problematic, then Windows Update will not offer
SP1," according to the Windows Vista Team Blog. "

LOL, I wonder how one incorrectly installs a device driver?

Backwards?

D'oh.

There are ways to *force* installation of device driver code by
inserting certain files into certain directories and by adding or
changing certain registry entries, or by unassembling code and making
changes there.

BTW, by "not offer" doesn't mean those few who messed with device
drivers will not be able to install SP1.

March GLC [email protected] General 0 February 29th 04 10:17 PM
March GLC [email protected] Tall Ships 0 February 29th 04 10:15 PM
March GLC [email protected] Crew 0 February 29th 04 10:15 PM
March GLC [email protected] ASA 0 February 29th 04 10:13 PM
March GLC [email protected] General 0 February 29th 04 10:13 PM