Default Help needed - Computer stuff

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 08:35:55 -0500, wrote:

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 08:07:52 -0500, John H.
wrote:

I have a 160 GB external hard disk to which I tried to back up my documents
and settings using the Windows backup system.

After about a half hour, I get a message saying there's not enough room for
the backup, and that if the hard disk is FAT 32, the backup can be no
larger than 4 GB. So I checked, and sure enough, the external HD is FAT 32.

Now what? I already have about 50 GB of stuff on the external HD that I
don't want to lose by reformatting (if that's what's required).

You have a couple of options.

If there is enough room on your computer's harddrive, copy the
archives there temporarily while you work on the external drive. Then
you can use a program called "Partition Magic" to do the
reconfiguration without risk to your archives. Partition Magic "could"
do the conversion with the files in place, BUT: No matter what method
you use to convert the disk to NTFS, the only way to guarantee your
files will be safe is to back them up somewhere else.

The other option is to buy another external hard drive. They are dirt
cheap these days. Newegg is very reliable to deal with and has a ton
of external drives to chose from. They even have a no name 160gb drive
for less than $70 including shipping. I've got several Maxtor's and
they have been great. Still relatively cheap.

I also HIGHLY recommend that you do NOT use Windows Backup for
anything you care about. The reason is simple: When you want to
recover those backups a couple of years from now, you will find that
every new version of Windows has a new version of windows backup, and
they are NOT compatible! Use a separate backup program.

Good info. Thanks Salty.
--
John H

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 09:27:43 -0500, Gene Kearns
wrote:

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 08:35:55 -0500, penned the following
well considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

|I also HIGHLY recommend that you do NOT use Windows Backup for
|anything you care about. The reason is simple: When you want to
|recover those backups a couple of years from now, you will find that
|every new version of Windows has a new version of windows backup, and
|they are NOT compatible! Use a separate backup program.

Suggestion:
http://www.superflexible.com/

Thanks Gene. There are so many different backup programs around, I don't
know which to get. What I'd like is a program that's nice and simple, only
for backing up.
--
John H

wrote:

I have a 160 GB external hard disk to which I tried to back up my documents
and settings using the Windows backup system.

After about a half hour, I get a message saying there's not enough room for
the backup, and that if the hard disk is FAT 32, the backup can be no
larger than 4 GB. So I checked, and sure enough, the external HD is FAT 32.

Now what? I already have about 50 GB of stuff on the external HD that I
don't want to lose by reformatting (if that's what's required).

I think your problem is file size. If I recall correctly, a Fat32 file
can be no larger than about 4 gigs.

I think the Windows utility made one giant file.

The Windows backup system sucks.

Get something like Second Copy....

http://www.centered.com/

A good freeware...

http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp

You're correct about the file size and the making of one giant file. Once
the size hit 4gigs, the backup stopped.

Thanks for the freeware site. That looks inter4esting. Have you used it
(the karenware)?
--
John H

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 00:55:04 -0500, WaIIy wrote:

wrote:

[...]

No, but the people in the Freeware group recommend it highly.

I use Second Copy and it has been very reliable. I have two drives and
backup my important stuff to it.
It's not a perfect system, but I backup documents to CD once in a while.

Thanks, Wally. I've downloaded and installed Karen's Replicator. Seems to
be exactly what I was looking for. Now I have to decide what, besides my
documents, I want to back up.

I appreciate the assistance.
--
John H

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 16:57:28 -0500, WaIIy wrote:

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 07:14:24 -0500, John H.
wrote:

Thanks, Wally. I've downloaded and installed Karen's Replicator. Seems to
be exactly what I was looking for. Now I have to decide what, besides my
documents, I want to back up.

I appreciate the assistance.
--
John H

Hey John, no problem. If I remember correctly, you live in AL and I'm
glad to help out a neighbor.

That's my southern accent comin' out. Actually I live in Virginia.
--
John H

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 20:21:20 -0500, WaIIy wrote:

Sorry John, I got you mixed up with Jim H.

Jim H is an Ohhhhie from near Lake Eerie, and Lake Eerie is a very
strange place. I'm surprised he's not down here in Florida right now
driving slowly in a white Cadilac like all the other Ohhhhies.

WaIIy wrote:
On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 21:23:14 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 20:21:20 -0500, WaIIy wrote:

Sorry John, I got you mixed up with Jim H.

Jim H is an Ohhhhie from near Lake Eerie, and Lake Eerie is a very
strange place. I'm surprised he's not down here in Florida right now
driving slowly in a white Cadilac like all the other Ohhhhies.

I do believe Jim H and I live in the same town.

Avon Lake?

wrote:

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 20:21:20 -0500, WaIIy wrote:

Sorry John, I got you mixed up with Jim H.

Jim H is an Ohhhhie from near Lake Eerie, and Lake Eerie is a very
strange place. I'm surprised he's not down here in Florida right now
driving slowly in a white Cadilac like all the other Ohhhhies.

I do believe Jim H and I live in the same town.

My condolences.

Eisboch

wrote:

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 20:21:20 -0500, WaIIy wrote:

Sorry John, I got you mixed up with Jim H.

Jim H is an Ohhhhie from near Lake Eerie, and Lake Eerie is a very
strange place. I'm surprised he's not down here in Florida right now
driving slowly in a white Cadilac like all the other Ohhhhies.

I do believe Jim H and I live in the same town.

If Lorin Maazel used to conduct your local orchestra, then you are indeed a
lucky man!
--
John H

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 20:21:20 -0500, WaIIy wrote:

wrote:

Thanks, Wally. I've downloaded and installed Karen's Replicator. Seems to
be exactly what I was looking for. Now I have to decide what, besides my
documents, I want to back up.

I appreciate the assistance.
--
John H

Hey John, no problem. If I remember correctly, you live in AL and I'm
glad to help out a neighbor.

That's my southern accent comin' out. Actually I live in Virginia.

Sorry John, I got you mixed up with Jim H.

Now that *really* hurts my feelings!
--
John H