Default 720p vs 1080p

"John H." wrote in message
On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 07:19:09 -0500, "Reginald P. Smithers III"
wrote:

A few weeks ago, someone asked about the difference between 720p and
1080p HDTV. CNET has an article discussing the differences and gives
the authors recommendations.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-...ml?tag=nl.e497

He states that this is the final word. Somehow, I just don't think
this will not be the final word. You heard it here first.

What I think is interesting, when my wife and I were looking at the 50"
720 vs 1080, she actually preferred the 720p I preferred the 1080p. We
both preferred the plasma vs LCD.

I spent a couple hours in Best Buy with son-in-law as he was shopping for
new HDTV. We compared a lot of LCD to Plasma TV's and I've decided I like
LCD better.

Bought this one for the wife for Christmas - to use in the bedroom.

http://tinyurl.com/2ldpnm

She best like it.
--
John H

Due to the excessive florescent lighting in most big-box stores, LCD's and
DLP's will almost always look better than the Plasma's. The brightness is
usually maxed out on all display TV's (torch mode) to try and compensate for
the lighting. Under these conditions the LCD's and DLP's will *seem* to look
better since they can be set to a higher brightness.
Viewed at home under normal lighting conditions the difference's between the
technologies can be startling. I have yet to see any LCD TV come close to
the picture of a higher end (Pioneer or Panasonic) Plasma TV (though the
DLP's seem to be catching up).

As to 720p or 1080p there's really not much difference at normal viewing
distances.With a 50" TV at 1080p you would not *start* to see advantage over
720p until you are around 9' away. The full benefit of 1080p is not visible
until you view the same 50' TV at 5'.

"Reginald P. Smithers III" wrote in message
. ..
jamesgangnc wrote:
I thinlk there are questions about the life expectancy of plasma sets.

"Reginald P. Smithers III" wrote in
message . ..
A few weeks ago, someone asked about the difference between 720p and
1080p HDTV. CNET has an article discussing the differences and gives
the authors recommendations.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-...ml?tag=nl.e497

He states that this is the final word. Somehow, I just don't think this
will not be the final word. You heard it here first.

What I think is interesting, when my wife and I were looking at the 50"
720 vs 1080, she actually preferred the 720p I preferred the 1080p. We
both preferred the plasma vs LCD.

JamesG,
This was a problem when Plasma original came out. Today, with
improvement, they expect the plasma to last 60,000 hrs., longer than a CRT
TV. I think that means it will be the last TV I buy.

Problem with Plasma is uses 4x the power of an equal CRT TV. About the same
as a refrigerator.

"Reginald P. Smithers III" [email protected] wrote in
message ...
wrote:

A few weeks ago, someone asked about the difference between 720p and
1080p HDTV. CNET has an article discussing the differences and gives
the authors recommendations.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-...ml?tag=nl.e497

He states that this is the final word. Somehow, I just don't think this
will not be the final word. You heard it here first.

What I think is interesting, when my wife and I were looking at the 50"
720 vs 1080, she actually preferred the 720p I preferred the 1080p. We
both preferred the plasma vs LCD.

I spent a couple hours in Best Buy with son-in-law as he was shopping for
new HDTV. We compared a lot of LCD to Plasma TV's and I've decided I like
LCD better.

Bought this one for the wife for Christmas - to use in the bedroom.

http://tinyurl.com/2ldpnm

She best like it.

I think I like the "blacks" better with HDTV, it makes the colors "pop",
but when I was in the store, I noticed everyone had their own preferences.

My wife won't let a TV in the bedroom. I think that must be because I am
such a stud, she doesn't want anything to distract me.

More likely you boor her to sleep... no need for late night tv.

jamesgangnc wrote:
[...]

wow, I am glad we don't watch much tv.

wrote:

[...]

yeah, that's the ticket.

wrote:

A few weeks ago, someone asked about the difference between 720p and
1080p HDTV. CNET has an article discussing the differences and gives
the authors recommendations.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-...ml?tag=nl.e497

He states that this is the final word. Somehow, I just don't think
this will not be the final word. You heard it here first.

What I think is interesting, when my wife and I were looking at the 50"
720 vs 1080, she actually preferred the 720p I preferred the 1080p. We
both preferred the plasma vs LCD.

I spent a couple hours in Best Buy with son-in-law as he was shopping for a
new HDTV. We compared a lot of LCD to Plasma TV's and I've decided I like
LCD better.

Bought this one for the wife for Christmas - to use in the bedroom.

http://tinyurl.com/2ldpnm

She best like it.

I think I like the "blacks" better with HDTV, it makes the colors "pop",
but when I was in the store, I noticed everyone had their own
preferences.

My wife won't let a TV in the bedroom. I think that must be because I
am such a stud, she doesn't want anything to distract me.

Real studs don't get distracted!

My wife spends a few extra hours every Sunday morning in bed, watching
whatever she watches. I fetch her a cup of coffee, and then I go do
whatever I do.
--
John H

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 22:34:23 GMT, "BillP" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Ah, there's the problem. I don't have enough friends with 50" HDTVs so I
can compare them all.
--
John H

wrote:

[...]

The real reason she won't allow one in the bedroom, is she doesn't want
me keeping her awake watching TV.

On Dec 13, 5:28 pm, John H. wrote:
On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 16:23:36 -0500, " JimH" ask wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

How nice. It is not like you will get to enjoy it.

Do you buy her vacuum cleaners for her birthday?

Have I done something to **** you off, JimH?

Have I not said enough about our Marine?

--
John H- Hide quoted text -

Don't forget, he also has a daughter that graduated after a fashion to
help stroke his ego, too!