Default 1956 IBM hard drive

http://www.neatorama.com/images/2006...puter-1956.jpg

In September 1956 IBM launched the 305 RAMAC, the first computer with a hard
disk drive(HDD). The HDD weighed over a ton and stored 5MB of data.

That's not a typo ..... 5MB of data.

Eisboch

Senior Member

On Dec 4, 8:29 am, "Eisboch" wrote:
http://www.neatorama.com/images/2006...puter-1956.jpg

In September 1956 IBM launched the 305 RAMAC, the first computer with a hard
disk drive(HDD). The HDD weighed over a ton and stored 5MB of data.

That's not a typo ..... 5MB of data.

Eisboch

I built a computer that did addition in the fifth grade, it was not
nearly that big.
HK HK is offline

wrote:
On Dec 4, 8:29 am, "Eisboch" wrote:
http://www.neatorama.com/images/2006...puter-1956.jpg

In September 1956 IBM launched the 305 RAMAC, the first computer with a hard
disk drive(HDD). The HDD weighed over a ton and stored 5MB of data.

That's not a typo ..... 5MB of data.

Eisboch

I built a computer that did addition in the fifth grade, it was not
nearly that big.

I built a working nuclear cloud chamber for my 7th grade science
project. It worked perfectly. Damned thing incorporated a spark coil
from a Model A Ford.
Senior Member

On Dec 4, 9:15 am, HK wrote:
wrote:
On Dec 4, 8:29 am, "Eisboch" wrote:
http://www.neatorama.com/images/2006...puter-1956.jpg

In September 1956 IBM launched the 305 RAMAC, the first computer with a hard
disk drive(HDD). The HDD weighed over a ton and stored 5MB of data.

That's not a typo ..... 5MB of data.

Eisboch

I built a computer that did addition in the fifth grade, it was not
nearly that big.

I built a working nuclear cloud chamber for my 7th grade science
project. It worked perfectly. Damned thing incorporated a spark coil
from a Model A Ford.

I take it you don't beleive me, no problem, I don't really think I
have a credibility problem here Me and dad built it on a piece of
plywood with some wooden "T's". It was really suited better for a game
where you get to slide marbles down the chute in ones, twos, or
threes. The idea is to leave your opponent with the last T to turn...
But it was a computer in all practiacl purposes, it worked by switches
being either on or off as it were...
HK HK is offline

wrote:
On Dec 4, 9:15 am, HK wrote:
wrote:
On Dec 4, 8:29 am, "Eisboch" wrote:
[...]

I believe you. I also put together some switch operated computers. I
also built a working cloud chamber in the 7th grade and could provide
you with the details, although there is one detail I cannot recall
precisely. It was, after all, quite a while ago.

Senior Member

On Dec 4, 9:19 am, wrote:
On Dec 4, 9:15 am, HK wrote:

wrote:
On Dec 4, 8:29 am, "Eisboch" wrote:
[...]

being either on or off as it were...- Hide quoted text -

Oh, and it was not an origional idea, I based it on a game I had seen
on TV. Anyway,that year for the science fair I built a working city
with a bicycle generator for working lighting... I got dismissed as
they said I must have had help from dad, even though he was working in
Poughkeepsie at the time and told them I had indeed done it myself.. I
am and have always been a wiz with stuff like that, something called
three dimensional comprehension so beleive what you want, I will do
the same, cough, lobsta' boat, cough....
Senior Member

On Dec 4, 9:24 am, wrote:
On Dec 4, 9:19 am, wrote:

On Dec 4, 9:15 am, HK wrote:

wrote:
On Dec 4, 8:29 am, "Eisboch" wrote:
[...]

the same, cough, lobsta' boat, cough....- Hide quoted text -

Anyway, I got to go play with horsies now... Having been an active
member of this group for so long, horse **** has no effect on me, but
I don't like to touch it

"Eisboch" wrote in message
http://www.neatorama.com/images/2006...puter-1956.jpg

In September 1956 IBM launched the 305 RAMAC, the first computer with a
hard disk drive(HDD). The HDD weighed over a ton and stored 5MB of data.

That's not a typo ..... 5MB of data.

Eisboch

Not 5 MB of data. Bytes were a later invention. They were 7 bit
characters. 6 bits of data and a parity bit. Bytes came in when they
needed upper and lower case characters on the printer.

On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 08:29:22 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

http://www.neatorama.com/images/2006...puter-1956.jpg

In September 1956 IBM launched the 305 RAMAC, the first computer with a hard
disk drive(HDD). The HDD weighed over a ton and stored 5MB of data.

That's not a typo ..... 5MB of data.

If I remember correctly, the ones that DEC and DG built used head
motors that weighed 160 pounds and were made out of cast aluminum.

Damned things were bigger than washing macines.

On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 02:50:25 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 08:29:22 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

http://www.neatorama.com/images/2006...puter-1956.jpg

In September 1956 IBM launched the 305 RAMAC, the first computer with a hard
disk drive(HDD). The HDD weighed over a ton and stored 5MB of data.

That's not a typo ..... 5MB of data.

If I remember correctly, the ones that DEC and DG built used head
motors that weighed 160 pounds and were made out of cast aluminum.

Damned things were bigger than washing macines.

Had an Acme calculator back in '53. Took up the entire garage and
had to run a 440V service to heat up the tubes.
Probably weighed 8 tons total.
The biggest part was the "keyboard," which had pneumatically
assisted cast iron foot pedals in a 12" steel I-beam framework.
The servo cylinders for the "2" pedal always acted up, so I got a
wrong answer to the grocery list.
Wife convinced me just use paper and pencil so we could put the cars
back in there. Said she was also getting tired of me always having a
crew of ironworkers around to fix the thing. Those were the days, eh?

--Vic