BoatBanter.com

-   -   1956 IBM hard drive (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/88637-1956-ibm-hard-drive.html)

Eisboch December 4th 07 01:29 PM

1956 IBM hard drive

http://www.neatorama.com/images/2006...puter-1956.jpg

In September 1956 IBM launched the 305 RAMAC, the first computer with a hard
disk drive(HDD). The HDD weighed over a ton and stored 5MB of data.

That's not a typo ..... 5MB of data.

Eisboch

[email protected] December 4th 07 02:09 PM

1956 IBM hard drive

On Dec 4, 8:29 am, "Eisboch" wrote:
http://www.neatorama.com/images/2006...puter-1956.jpg

In September 1956 IBM launched the 305 RAMAC, the first computer with a hard
disk drive(HDD). The HDD weighed over a ton and stored 5MB of data.

That's not a typo ..... 5MB of data.

Eisboch

I built a computer that did addition in the fifth grade, it was not
nearly that big.;)

HK December 4th 07 02:15 PM

1956 IBM hard drive

wrote:
On Dec 4, 8:29 am, "Eisboch" wrote:
http://www.neatorama.com/images/2006...puter-1956.jpg

In September 1956 IBM launched the 305 RAMAC, the first computer with a hard
disk drive(HDD). The HDD weighed over a ton and stored 5MB of data.

That's not a typo ..... 5MB of data.

Eisboch

I built a computer that did addition in the fifth grade, it was not
nearly that big.;)

I built a working nuclear cloud chamber for my 7th grade science
project. It worked perfectly. Damned thing incorporated a spark coil
from a Model A Ford.

[email protected] December 4th 07 02:19 PM

1956 IBM hard drive

On Dec 4, 9:15 am, HK wrote:
wrote:
On Dec 4, 8:29 am, "Eisboch" wrote:
http://www.neatorama.com/images/2006...puter-1956.jpg

In September 1956 IBM launched the 305 RAMAC, the first computer with a hard
disk drive(HDD). The HDD weighed over a ton and stored 5MB of data.

That's not a typo ..... 5MB of data.

Eisboch

I built a computer that did addition in the fifth grade, it was not
nearly that big.;)

I built a working nuclear cloud chamber for my 7th grade science
project. It worked perfectly. Damned thing incorporated a spark coil
from a Model A Ford.

I take it you don't beleive me, no problem, I don't really think I
have a credibility problem here;) Me and dad built it on a piece of
plywood with some wooden "T's". It was really suited better for a game
where you get to slide marbles down the chute in ones, twos, or
threes. The idea is to leave your opponent with the last T to turn...
But it was a computer in all practiacl purposes, it worked by switches
being either on or off as it were...

HK December 4th 07 02:23 PM

1956 IBM hard drive

wrote:
On Dec 4, 9:15 am, HK wrote:
wrote:
On Dec 4, 8:29 am, "Eisboch" wrote:
[...]

I believe you. I also put together some switch operated computers. I
also built a working cloud chamber in the 7th grade and could provide
you with the details, although there is one detail I cannot recall
precisely. It was, after all, quite a while ago.

[email protected] December 4th 07 02:24 PM

1956 IBM hard drive

On Dec 4, 9:19 am, wrote:
On Dec 4, 9:15 am, HK wrote:

wrote:
On Dec 4, 8:29 am, "Eisboch" wrote:
[...]

being either on or off as it were...- Hide quoted text -

Oh, and it was not an origional idea, I based it on a game I had seen
on TV. Anyway,that year for the science fair I built a working city
with a bicycle generator for working lighting... I got dismissed as
they said I must have had help from dad, even though he was working in
Poughkeepsie at the time and told them I had indeed done it myself.. I
am and have always been a wiz with stuff like that, something called
three dimensional comprehension so beleive what you want, I will do
the same, cough, lobsta' boat, cough....

[email protected] December 4th 07 02:28 PM

1956 IBM hard drive

On Dec 4, 9:24 am, wrote:
On Dec 4, 9:19 am, wrote:

On Dec 4, 9:15 am, HK wrote:

wrote:
On Dec 4, 8:29 am, "Eisboch" wrote:
[...]

the same, cough, lobsta' boat, cough....- Hide quoted text -

Anyway, I got to go play with horsies now... Having been an active
member of this group for so long, horse **** has no effect on me, but
I don't like to touch it;)

John H. December 4th 07 04:27 PM

1956 IBM hard drive

On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 06:28:37 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Dec 4, 9:24 am, wrote:
On Dec 4, 9:19 am, wrote:

On Dec 4, 9:15 am, HK wrote:

wrote:
On Dec 4, 8:29 am, "Eisboch" wrote:
[...]

Oh, pferdeäpfel.
--
John H

Calif Bill December 4th 07 10:00 PM

1956 IBM hard drive

"Eisboch" wrote in message
http://www.neatorama.com/images/2006...puter-1956.jpg

In September 1956 IBM launched the 305 RAMAC, the first computer with a
hard disk drive(HDD). The HDD weighed over a ton and stored 5MB of data.

That's not a typo ..... 5MB of data.

Eisboch

Not 5 MB of data. Bytes were a later invention. They were 7 bit
characters. 6 bits of data and a parity bit. Bytes came in when they
needed upper and lower case characters on the printer.

Wayne.B December 5th 07 01:22 AM

1956 IBM hard drive

On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 23:13:55 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

My first computer had a paper tape reader and I had to cold start boot
strap it.

The first computer I ever programmed was like that:

Summer of 1967, Control Data 160A, 4K 12 bit words, as big as a large
desk, cost approx $80K, paper tape in, paper tape out, environmental
requirements: 72 degrees F +/- 2 degrees, 50% humidity +/- 10%. We
copied the cold boot tape onto metalic mylar to keep it from wearing
out quite as fast.

Bear in mind that $80K then was like $500K now. Surprisingly enough
we actually got some useful work out of the machine and I launched my
entire adult career with it.