BoatBanter.com

-   -   Yet Another Tragic Case...... (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/88530-yet-another-tragic-case.html)

Eisboch December 2nd 07 11:46 PM

Yet Another Tragic Case......

Why do mandatory bicycle helmet laws exist? Largely, because of head
injuries.

So, assuming that is true, then how does that not also apply to
motorcycles? It would seem to me that if head injuries on bicycles
(max speeds - 15/17 mph) occur from low speed impacts, then they would
also occurr in higher speed accidents involving motorcycles.

Do bicycle helmet laws apply to adults?
Also, I think those laws are set by the town you are in, not the Fed or
state.

I don't want to argue the injury issue, but data indicates, including the
report I cited, that although a motorcycle helmet lessens the chance of
severe head injury, that advantage is offset by an increased chance of
neck/spine injury due to whiplash.

So, choose your method.

Eisboch

Eisboch

JoeSpareBedroom December 2nd 07 11:48 PM

Yet Another Tragic Case......

"Eisboch" wrote in message

[...]

Only a complete idiot needs data to understand that helmets reduce head
injuries in motorcycle accidents.

Let's see who raises their hand and admits to being a complete idiot.

Eisboch December 2nd 07 11:55 PM

Yet Another Tragic Case......

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

"Eisboch" wrote in message

I am just in an ornery mood. Somehow I caught a humdinger of a cold and
feel really lousy.
I can't remember the last time I was sick and it's something I don't
tolerate very well.

Eisboch

Time to make your blood inhabitable to germs. Jack Daniels.

I suspect it's from hanging around 5 walking Petri dishes (my grandkids)
over Thanksgiving.

Eisboch

JoeSpareBedroom December 3rd 07 12:00 AM

Yet Another Tragic Case......

"Eisboch" wrote in message

I am just in an ornery mood. Somehow I caught a humdinger of a cold and
feel really lousy.
I can't remember the last time I was sick and it's something I don't
tolerate very well.

Eisboch

Time to make your blood inhabitable to germs. Jack Daniels.

I suspect it's from hanging around 5 walking Petri dishes (my grandkids)
over Thanksgiving.

Eisboch

HEY!!!!!!!!!!!

"walking Petri dish" is my line. Where'd you get that from? You'll be
hearing from my team of lawyers.

Short Wave Sportfishing December 3rd 07 12:19 AM

Yet Another Tragic Case......

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 18:40:32 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

.. .
On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 13:54:07 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

married for 38 years or something ....

Um...didn't you say that Mrs. E read rec.boats once in a while? :)

Loose lips sink ships I guess.

I am just in an ornery mood. Somehow I caught a humdinger of a cold and
feel really lousy.
I can't remember the last time I was sick and it's something I don't
tolerate very well.

You and me both.

I am a horrible patient.

Short Wave Sportfishing December 3rd 07 12:20 AM

Yet Another Tragic Case......

On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 00:00:30 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

m...

"Eisboch" wrote in message

I am just in an ornery mood. Somehow I caught a humdinger of a cold and
feel really lousy.
I can't remember the last time I was sick and it's something I don't
tolerate very well.

Eisboch

Time to make your blood inhabitable to germs. Jack Daniels.

I suspect it's from hanging around 5 walking Petri dishes (my grandkids)
over Thanksgiving.

HEY!!!!!!!!!!!

"walking Petri dish" is my line. Where'd you get that from? You'll be
hearing from my team of lawyers.

Larry, More and Curly?

Short Wave Sportfishing December 3rd 07 12:32 AM

Yet Another Tragic Case......

On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 23:42:21 -0000, wrote:

On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 23:26:28 +0000, Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:

And then we got air bags anyway which caused a zillion injuries and
still do.

Not to mention severe allergic reactions as a result of the powder used
as a lubricant to aid inflation.

And I have yet to have an SAE qualified engineer tell me why, if seat
belts are so effective in reducing injuries, we need air bags as
additional restraints.

Remember the '50s cars? Metal dashboards, steering columns like spears,
metal door handles that would slice you like a knife, etc. etc. I'll
take the air bags and seat belts. Looking back, those old cars were
scary. Seat belts are not without problems. I've heard of broken
collarbones and even deaths caused by shock to the heart. Still, I'll
wear them.

Take JohnH as an example (not picking on you John, just making a
point). There's a guy with an abdominal aortic aneurism - does a seat
belt make him safer?

Cardiac aortic tears, hip/pelvis breakage, entrapment, broken
sternums, ribs, shoulders - oh, I could go on and on about the
inherent dangers of seat belts.

In my own case, I was trapped in a burning car after being rear ended
at high speed at a stop light and couldn't get out because both
shoulders were dislocated, dazed and confused and I couldn't get to
the release. Fortunately, there was a by-stander who managed to haul
my ass out of the car.

Haven't worn a seat belt since.

My complaint about seat belts have to do with how use is reported.
Statistics are developed by ambulance run forms and accident reports.
The hitch in the process is that is Fire/EMS/Police ask if seatbelts
were used and the patient says yes, then that is what is reported.
Doesn't matter if the windshield is starred or the victim ejected, it
goes down as yes.

That means that the system is flawed and use over reported.

Short Wave Sportfishing December 3rd 07 12:34 AM

Yet Another Tragic Case......

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 18:46:12 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

So, choose your method.

Phasers, 500 feet at dawn. :)

Don White December 3rd 07 12:39 AM

Yet Another Tragic Case......

On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 23:15:42 -0000, wrote:

On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 13:30:30 -0500, Reginald P. Smithers III wrote:

I find it hard to believe that insurance companies, who actually know
the cost, would promote anything that would cost them more money. If
seat belts and helmets were not safer, insurance companies would
aggressively fight against the laws.

The push for mandatory seat belt laws didn't come from insurance
companies, it came from the auto industry. In 1984, the Secretary of
Transportation ruled that air bags would not be required if more than 2/3
of the population resided in states with mandatory seat belt laws. All
of a sudden, Detroit began lobbying for mandatory seat belt laws. It's
not about safety, it's about money.

And then we got air bags anyway which caused a zillion injuries and
still do.

Not to mention severe allergic reactions as a result of the powder
used as a lubricant to aid inflation.

And I have yet to have an SAE qualified engineer tell me why, if seat
belts are so effective in reducing injuries, we need air bags as
additional restraints.

We were told up here at the time of compulsory air bags... that the seat
belt compliance rate was low in the US (50 something %) vs around 90% for
Canadians.
We had to accept the extra cost of the airbags to make up for reckless
'mericans.

[email protected] December 3rd 07 12:40 AM

Yet Another Tragic Case......

On Dec 2, 7:00 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Eisboch" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

"Eisboch" wrote in message
om...

I am just in an ornery mood. Somehow I caught a humdinger of a cold and
feel really lousy.
I can't remember the last time I was sick and it's something I don't
tolerate very well.

Eisboch

Time to make your blood inhabitable to germs. Jack Daniels.

I suspect it's from hanging around 5 walking Petri dishes (my grandkids)
over Thanksgiving.

Eisboch

HEY!!!!!!!!!!!

"walking Petri dish" is my line. Where'd you get that from? You'll be
hearing from my team of lawyers.- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, and Madonna's profession...

John H. December 3rd 07 12:59 AM

Yet Another Tragic Case......

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 16:20:15 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

"John H." wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 20:30:25 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"John H." wrote in message
On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 15:19:33 -0500, John H. wrote:

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 14:59:11 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

"John H." wrote in message
news:s036l3l3ssaffo3bd3qh4iomab16mrvdtn@4ax. com...
On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 14:38:34 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

"John H." wrote in message
news:6626l35nu1auoptql7ll543hdd2l6l3o85@4a x.com...

I don't know. But I believe the number of severe head injuries due
motorcycle accidents would go down.

Of course they would.

Who's head?

Eisboch

You don't need a helmet!
--
John H

I asked you how much money you would save by forcing me to wear a
helmet.
You didn't know.

Thank you for your understanding.

Eisboch

Here are some results of the only extensive study of motorcycle
accidents
that I'm familiar with. Note #'s 45, 48, 49, and 53. Of side note is
number
26 for the anti-countersteering crowd.

Whoops: http://www.ibmwr.org/otech/hurt.html
--
John H

Ya know, why are we discussing this? The most obvious bikers are the ones
with the loudest bikes, and unbeknownst to them, everyone wants them dead.
Everyone. There are no exceptions, except the two or three of you who will
say you are the exceptions. Let them ride without helmets. Hell...let them
ride blindfolded. Who cares?

I don't believe anyone wants them dead. Quieter, yes. Dead, no. It's
funny,
but when I hear of a motorcycle accident on the beltway, there's an extra
twinge that doesn't happen when I hear of a car accident. I'm sure Marines
feel it for Marines, soldiers for soldiers and so on.

--
John H

The safety debate is not center to my opinion on this helmet subject, but in
the spirit of considering other points of view, here's something you may
find of interest.

http://www.bikersrights.com/statisti...goldstein.html

Eisboch

You don't suppose those folks may have been biased, do you? How many
accidents did they actually visit? The Hurt folks visited some 900. Also, I
simply don't believe this statement:

"Previous studies simply divide accident victims into a helmeted group and
non-helmeted group. As a result all differences in fatality rates, injury
rates and injury severities between groups are erroneously attributed to
helmet use."

I don't believe that an amputated leg where the driver wasn't wearing a
helmet was blamed on the lack of a helmet.

The safety debate is center to my opinion, as I don't sell helmets.
Therefore we are approaching this from totally different perspectives. I
suggest we agree to disagree.
--
John H

John H. December 3rd 07 01:02 AM

Yet Another Tragic Case......

On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 23:01:21 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

.. .

"John H." wrote in message
[...]

I believe you're wrong. People who intentionally make their bikes louder do
it to be a pain in the ass. Normal people notice this and respond
accordingly.

I think you're wrong. I think some folks actually believe the argument that
loud bikes are safer bikes. They've been fed this by Harley magazines for
years. Finally, the American Motorcycle Association is taking a stand
against overly loud pipes.

I have somewhat louder mufflers on my Guzzi. I didn't do it to **** anyone
off, but because I like the sound of the pipes. No, they're not
straight-thru.
--
John H

John H. December 3rd 07 01:07 AM

Yet Another Tragic Case......

On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 00:32:09 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

[...]

I think I'd rather be in a seat belt than not, even with the aneurysm.
--
John H

Eisboch December 3rd 07 04:57 AM

Yet Another Tragic Case......

"John H." wrote in message

The safety debate is center to my opinion, as I don't sell helmets.
Therefore we are approaching this from totally different perspectives. I
suggest we agree to disagree.
--
John H

Ok, but let me leave you with one final thought.

I don't disagree that wearing a helmet is safer. Leaving the motorcycle in
the garage is even more safe. My thinking, however, is that life is a gift
to be lived within reasonable limits. There are responsibilities that go
with it .... providing for a family, contributing to society, paying taxes
for the common good, etc.

But there's also an aspect of life that involves your personal interests,
sources of enjoyment and choice. In them there are risks, but you should
have the right to evaluate those risks and make personal decisions in terms
of what they mean to you.

It seems to me that if we continue to allow ourselves to be regulated to
death by governments influenced by organizations or groups with their own
agenda and accept being told what risk you can take and how like a bunch of
lemmings, we will end up with a very boring and limited existence.

Eisboch

John H. December 3rd 07 12:34 PM

Yet Another Tragic Case......

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 23:57:43 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

"John H." wrote in message
.. .

[...]

It has been left with me.

Two amens.
--
John H

Wayne.B December 3rd 07 05:34 PM

Yet Another Tragic Case......

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 14:13:22 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

There's a direct corollary to boating here. There are minority interest
groups constantly trying to restrict or ban boater's right to enjoy their
interests. Some are well founded, but many are simply attempts to restrict
boaters because "they" don't share the same interest.

Yes, and some boater offended their sensibilities in some way by
running with an open exhaust or throwing a wake over their seawall,
etc.

Wayne.B December 3rd 07 05:46 PM

Yet Another Tragic Case......

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 13:39:19 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

But you have to realize that for every death or serious injury, there are
hundreds of thousands, if not millions, that never crash or have an
accident.

Not to be argumentative but I think that motorcycle accident and death
rates are way higher than that. We average about one motorcycle death
per week here in SWFL.

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/car...ycle-deat.html

"The fatality rates for cruiser and "standard" riders rank the lowest,
at 5.7 deaths per 10,000 registered motorcycles. Touring bikes, such
as the Harley example, averaged 6.5 deaths, with sport bikes totaling
10.7 deaths per 10,000."

Wayne.B December 3rd 07 05:49 PM

Yet Another Tragic Case......

On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 18:03:38 -0500, HK wrote:

It should be mandatory. Period.

So you believe that it is a proper role of government to protect
people from themselves?

What do you do when they take away your unsafe, low transom boat?

(for your own good, of course)

Ever the a**, eh, Dwayne?

Just answer my question Hairy. I believe there's a legitimate
philosophical issue at stake:

Do you believe that it is a proper role of government to protect
people from themselves?

Reginald P. Smithers III December 3rd 07 05:53 PM

Yet Another Tragic Case......

Wayne.B wrote:
On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 14:13:22 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

There's a direct corollary to boating here. There are minority interest
groups constantly trying to restrict or ban boater's right to enjoy their
interests. Some are well founded, but many are simply attempts to restrict
boaters because "they" don't share the same interest.

Yes, and some boater offended their sensibilities in some way by
running with an open exhaust or throwing a wake over their seawall,
etc.

I am all for freedom of boating, as long as it matches my kind of
boating. Since i don't fish, I think all fishing should be restricted
to 7 days a year, and all fishing boats should be taxed 50% higher than
I am. This will substantially reduce our gas consumption, and will help
reduce wakes and busy traffic on the weekend. To make sure all
fisherman are included in the tax, I recommend we register all fishing
poles.

Eisboch and Wayne won't have to pay the tax, since I think their kind of
boating is the preferred boating style.

JoeSpareBedroom December 3rd 07 05:56 PM

Yet Another Tragic Case......

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 18:03:38 -0500, HK wrote:

It should be mandatory. Period.

So you believe that it is a proper role of government to protect
people from themselves?

What do you do when they take away your unsafe, low transom boat?

(for your own good, of course)

Ever the a**, eh, Dwayne?

Just answer my question Hairy. I believe there's a legitimate
philosophical issue at stake:

Do you believe that it is a proper role of government to protect
people from themselves?

Slight detour: Kids learn both good and bad habits from their parents. Even
the stupidest parents might wear seat belts if they were afraid of being
ticketed, and then their kids see them doing the right thing. I like the
law. And, the cops *do* write a lot of tickets here for failure to use
belts.

HK December 3rd 07 05:57 PM

Yet Another Tragic Case......

Wayne.B wrote:
On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 18:03:38 -0500, HK wrote:

It should be mandatory. Period.
So you believe that it is a proper role of government to protect
people from themselves?

What do you do when they take away your unsafe, low transom boat?

(for your own good, of course)

Ever the a**, eh, Dwayne?

Just answer my question Hairy. I believe there's a legitimate
philosophical issue at stake:

Do you believe that it is a proper role of government to protect
people from themselves?

Sure. I ain't no loonitarian. I believe in helmet laws, seat belts, a
really effective, hard-working FDA (not a Bush FDA), a really effective,
hard-working OSHA (not a Bush OSHA), et cetera.

HK December 3rd 07 05:58 PM

Yet Another Tragic Case......

Wayne.B wrote:
On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 14:13:22 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

There's a direct corollary to boating here. There are minority
interest groups constantly trying to restrict or ban boater's right
to enjoy their interests. Some are well founded, but many are simply
attempts to restrict boaters because "they" don't share the same
interest.

Yes, and some boater offended their sensibilities in some way by
running with an open exhaust or throwing a wake over their seawall,
etc.

I am all for freedom of boating, as long as it matches my kind of
boating.

No one wants to tax your playing with your rubber duckies in your tubby.

HK December 3rd 07 05:59 PM

Yet Another Tragic Case......

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 18:03:38 -0500, HK wrote:

It should be mandatory. Period.
So you believe that it is a proper role of government to protect
people from themselves?

What do you do when they take away your unsafe, low transom boat?

(for your own good, of course)

Ever the a**, eh, Dwayne?

Just answer my question Hairy. I believe there's a legitimate
philosophical issue at stake:

Do you believe that it is a proper role of government to protect
people from themselves?

Slight detour: Kids learn both good and bad habits from their parents. Even
the stupidest parents might wear seat belts if they were afraid of being
ticketed, and then their kids see them doing the right thing. I like the
law. And, the cops *do* write a lot of tickets here for failure to use
belts.

Here, too. I wish the land cops were more aggressive in nailing
litterers, and the water cops were more aggressive in nailing those
damned penis boats with the open exhaust pipes.

BAR December 3rd 07 06:05 PM

Yet Another Tragic Case......

HK wrote:
Wayne.B wrote:
On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 18:03:38 -0500, HK wrote:

It should be mandatory. Period.
So you believe that it is a proper role of government to protect
people from themselves?
What do you do when they take away your unsafe, low transom boat?

(for your own good, of course)

Ever the a**, eh, Dwayne?

Just answer my question Hairy. I believe there's a legitimate
philosophical issue at stake:

Do you believe that it is a proper role of government to protect
people from themselves?

Sure. I ain't no loonitarian. I believe in helmet laws, seat belts, a
really effective, hard-working FDA (not a Bush FDA), a really effective,
hard-working OSHA (not a Bush OSHA), et cetera.

Does the FDA and OSHA magically become good the day a Democrat is sworn
into the office of the president?

HK December 3rd 07 06:09 PM

Yet Another Tragic Case......

BAR wrote:
HK wrote:
Wayne.B wrote:
On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 18:03:38 -0500, HK wrote:

It should be mandatory. Period.
So you believe that it is a proper role of government to protect
people from themselves? What do you do when they take away your
unsafe, low transom boat?

(for your own good, of course)

Ever the a**, eh, Dwayne?

Just answer my question Hairy. I believe there's a legitimate
philosophical issue at stake:

Do you believe that it is a proper role of government to protect
people from themselves?

Sure. I ain't no loonitarian. I believe in helmet laws, seat belts, a
really effective, hard-working FDA (not a Bush FDA), a really
effective, hard-working OSHA (not a Bush OSHA), et cetera.

Does the FDA and OSHA magically become good the day a Democrat is sworn
into the office of the president?

Nope. But they get better, and spend a bit more time protecting the
public, and not the GOP corporate benefactors.

[email protected] December 3rd 07 06:10 PM

Yet Another Tragic Case......

On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 12:46:19 -0500, Wayne.B wrote:

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/car...ycle-deat.html

"The fatality rates for cruiser and "standard" riders rank the lowest,
at 5.7 deaths per 10,000 registered motorcycles. Touring bikes, such as
the Harley example, averaged 6.5 deaths, with sport bikes totaling 10.7
deaths per 10,000."

That is a higher rate than I would have thought, and considering that it
is per registered motorcycle, not per mile, it is quite high. I'm
guessing, but I would think that the average motorcycle only averages a
couple of thousand miles per year.

HK December 3rd 07 06:12 PM

Yet Another Tragic Case......

wrote:
On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 12:46:19 -0500, Wayne.B wrote:

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/car...ycle-deat.html

"The fatality rates for cruiser and "standard" riders rank the lowest,
at 5.7 deaths per 10,000 registered motorcycles. Touring bikes, such as
the Harley example, averaged 6.5 deaths, with sport bikes totaling 10.7
deaths per 10,000."

That is a higher rate than I would have thought, and considering that it
is per registered motorcycle, not per mile, it is quite high. I'm
guessing, but I would think that the average motorcycle only averages a
couple of thousand miles per year.

Evolution in action.

[email protected] December 3rd 07 06:13 PM

Yet Another Tragic Case......

On Dec 2, 7:32 pm, Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
[...]

That means that the system is flawed and use over reported.- Hide quoted text -

Well, then show us some non-flawed statistics that would indicate that
NOT wearing a seat belt is safer than wearing one......

[email protected] December 3rd 07 06:18 PM

Yet Another Tragic Case......

On Dec 2, 6:26 pm, Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
[...]

Simple. Whiplash and other spinal injuries are reduced.
http://www.spineuniverse.com/display...rticle835.html

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration estimates that the
combination of an air bag in addition to a lap and shoulder belt
reduces the risk of serious head injury by 81 percent, compared with
60 percent reduction for belts alone.

[email protected] December 3rd 07 06:18 PM

Yet Another Tragic Case......

On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 13:12:50 -0500, HK wrote:

Evolution in action.

We are all going to die, Harry, and personally, I'd like to have a little
fun in this life. If you don't want to ride a motorcycle, don't.

Calif Bill December 3rd 07 06:38 PM

Yet Another Tragic Case......

"Eisboch" wrote in message

"John H." wrote in message

[...]

Extremely well said.

John H. December 4th 07 02:04 AM

Yet Another Tragic Case......

wrote:
On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 12:46:19 -0500, Wayne.B wrote:

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/car...ycle-deat.html

"The fatality rates for cruiser and "standard" riders rank the lowest,
at 5.7 deaths per 10,000 registered motorcycles. Touring bikes, such as
the Harley example, averaged 6.5 deaths, with sport bikes totaling 10.7
deaths per 10,000."

That is a higher rate than I would have thought, and considering that it
is per registered motorcycle, not per mile, it is quite high. I'm
guessing, but I would think that the average motorcycle only averages a
couple of thousand miles per year.

Evolution in action.

You picked the right word to talk about how Harleys are getting better!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_engine
--
John H

John H. December 4th 07 02:07 AM

Yet Another Tragic Case......

On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 12:53:34 -0500, "Reginald P. Smithers III"
wrote:

Wayne.B wrote:
[...]

Whoa, what about us fishing guys that don't fish on weekends? Where's my
lobbyist again?
--
John H

Wayne.B December 4th 07 02:39 AM

Yet Another Tragic Case......

On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 12:59:40 -0500, HK wrote:

I wish the land cops were more aggressive in nailing
litterers, and the water cops were more aggressive in nailing those
damned boats with the open exhaust pipes.

We agree on that. I'd like to see boat ramp managers empowered to
nail noisy boats and/or prevent launching

Reginald P. Smithers III December 4th 07 12:39 PM

Yet Another Tragic Case......

wrote:

Wayne.B wrote:
[...]

Screw you. I don't fish, so you have to pay a excise tax. Now if you
want to change your boating style into something I agree with, well we
might be able to add you into the preferred boating tax schedule.

John H. December 4th 07 01:21 PM

Yet Another Tragic Case......

wrote:

Wayne.B wrote:
[...]

Yo a mean-assed dude, man.
--
John H

JoeSpareBedroom December 4th 07 01:47 PM

Yet Another Tragic Case......

wrote in message
On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 10:18:36 -0800 (PST), wrote:

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration estimates that the
combination of an air bag in addition to a lap and shoulder belt
reduces the risk of serious head injury by 81 percent, compared with
60 percent reduction for belts alone.

Just imagine how safe it would be if you also had a helmet on.
Race car drivers prove that.
Helmets for all car passengers too!

Where does it stop?

George Carlin has the answer to your last question. If you'd like, I can
email you a 4.9 mb audio file in which he explains it.

[email protected] December 4th 07 02:07 PM

Yet Another Tragic Case......

On Dec 3, 9:39 pm, Wayne.B wrote:
On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 12:59:40 -0500, HK wrote:
I wish the land cops were more aggressive in nailing
litterers, and the water cops were more aggressive in nailing those
damned boats with the open exhaust pipes.

We agree on that. I'd like to see boat ramp managers empowered to
nail noisy boats and/or prevent launching

And marina owners should be able to nail those live aboards before
they dump **** and pee into the rivers on a regular basis... But I
guess the noise of a passing boat is much more disruptive;)