HK HK is offline

Default A little more on the Parker 34...

The Parker 34 is targeted for the 2008 Model year. The plug for the hull
is almost complete.

Parker is anticipating a large galley and table up in the pilot house.

In addition to the vee-berth in the bow, there will be a berth in the
“aft cabin area”, which means the sole of the pilothouse is elevated
enough to allow a aft-facing berth tucked in under.

The plan is for a separate enclosed head, with hot and cold pressurized
water for a shower. A compartment will be available aft for a generator,
if so optioned.

The Parker 34 will have a 12 foot beam. Power comes from twin Yamaha
350s. When asked how they will be attached, transom or bracket, the
response was "an integrated bracket," but not a euro-transom. Thank
goodness for that.

Hang on, Tom...your boat is coming.

On Nov 24, 9:20 am, HK wrote:
The Parker 34 is targeted for the 2008 Model year. The plug for the hull
is almost complete.

Parker is anticipating a large galley and table up in the pilot house.

In addition to the vee-berth in the bow, there will be a berth in the
"aft cabin area", which means the sole of the pilothouse is elevated
enough to allow a aft-facing berth tucked in under.

The plan is for a separate enclosed head, with hot and cold pressurized
water for a shower. A compartment will be available aft for a generator,
if so optioned.

The Parker 34 will have a 12 foot beam. Power comes from twin Yamaha
350s. When asked how they will be attached, transom or bracket, the
response was "an integrated bracket," but not a euro-transom. Thank
goodness for that.

Hang on, Tom...your boat is coming.

Sounds a lot like one of our local boats, except the local boat is a
sterndrive, not an outboard model.

http://www.islandsmarinecenter.com/i...ecenter_6.html

Gluttons for punishment can read a bit more about this boat below:

Ocean Sport Roamer 33,
High Expectations Fulfilled

We seldom fail to include Lopez Island's Fisherman Bay on a summer
cruise itinerary. There is plenty of anchorage, as well as two fine
marinas. We know just where the ice cream factory is located, the
weekly Saturday Market is fabulous, and the relatively flat terrain is
bicycle friendly. Boaters shopping for a sturdy, well conceived
fishing and cruising boat have an additional reason to visit Fisherman
Bay, where Islands Marine Center is the factory-direct dealer for
Ocean Sport boats. We had admired the Ocean Sports during previous
visits to Lopez, but in August of 2007 we accepted an invitation to
take a 33-footer out for a trial run. Based on what had previously
learned about Ocean Sport Boats our expectations were high, and we
were not disappointed.

Ocean Sport boats are built on Camano Island by Jim Lindell & Co.
Lindell has been building boats for well over 40 years and has earned
a reputation for solid construction, premium workmanship, and
innovative design. The Ocean Sport series represents a collaboration
between Ron Meng (owner and operator of Islands Marine Center since
1972) and Jim Lindell. Ron is himself an avid angler, and after
decades on the water has developed an appreciation for the unique
requirements of a boat designed to respond to the challenges of
Pacific NW boating.

Ocean Sport Roamers are available in two LOA's, 30 and 33 feet. The
primary difference between the two models is a three foot extension of
the cockpit permitting the inclusion of two additional fish holds.
While we will be examining the 33-footer in this issue, readers more
interested in a slightly smaller boat can enjoy nearly all of the same
features in the 30-foot version.

Design and Construction:

Ocean Sport boats seem to have been drawn with Pacific NW inland and
coastal conditions in mind. A high, raked bow with a series of
successive strakes and a progressive flare will prove to be a perfect
foil for our ubiquitous, short interval chop.
A deep hull, (20 degrees deadrise at the transom), will provide safety
and stability in rough conditions. The side and fore decks are easily
negotiated, even while battling a trophy salmon or 100-pound halibut.
The no-nonsense design of the comfortable and functional pilothouse
includes reverse raked forward windows shaded by an overhanging brow,
and the cabin top also extends very slightly beyond the aft bulkhead
door to provide some shelter from rain squalls when entering or
exiting the cabin. There is substantial freeboard, and the low
maintenance exterior surfaces are easy to clean with a brush and hose.

Ocean Sport hulls are constructed with an infusion injection "vacuum
bag" process that incorporates vinylester resin, knitted bi-
directional e-glass fabric, and a urethane corecell (tm) core. There is
no wood used in any structural components. This state-of-the-modern
boat builders'-art construction process produces hulls said to be 30
percent lighter and up to 150% stronger than a traditional hand-rolled
layup.
Hulls can be more uniform, there are fewer opportunities for voids in
the laminate, and the infusion process eliminates any concern about
whether the layup was entirely wet or if a shift change, lunch break,
or holiday closure might have interrupted the lamination of a specific
hull. Ocean Sport Boats are sold with a 5-year transferable warranty
on hulls and decks.

Fishermen and others who appreciate an open cockpit without a
protruding engine cover will be very pleased with the engine
placements. Volvo engines are mounted below a pair of hatches, and
coupled to duo-prop outdrives. There are both twin and single engine
configurations available, including a 280 HP twin gas 5.7 liter. Four
twin diesel options are offered, with HP ratings between 225 and 350
HP. The single diesel option utilizes the 350 HP Volvo D6 engine. Our
test boat was equipped with a 260-HP Volvo D4 engines, leaving plenty
of room in the compartment for routine servicing and to admire the
exceptional electrical handiwork of Ron Meng. (Ron does all of the
electrical rigging on the IMC boats.)

********

(Sidebar)

Specifications and Dimensions, Ocean Sport 33

LOA (with anchor roller & swim step): 35'9"
Beam: 10'9"
Draft (drives up): 2'3"
Draft (drives down): 2'11"
Avg. Dry Weight: 13,500 lb
Fuel Capacity: 330 USG
Water Capacity: 80 USG
Bridge Clearance w/radar: 9'2"
Headroom in main cabin: 6'4"- 6'6"
Deadrise: 20 degrees

(end sidebar)

****

Features on Deck:

The Ocean Sport Roamer 33 should appeal to boaters who enjoy spending
time on deck, whether fishing, crabbing, sunbathing, or dining and
entertaining al fresco. Boarding is facilitated by a transom door and
a sturdy swimstep, and a 3/4 swimstep is available for boaters who plan
to mount a kicker or trolling motor on the port side of the transom.
Ron Meng showed us a clever fish cleaning station which can be
substituted for a section of the swimstep's safety rail. "I can stand
on the swimstep and clean fish without getting any blood or guts in
the cockpit or cabin," said Ron.
Nonskid decks, built in tackle stowage, and enormous fish holds are
features sure to be appreciated by anyone in the cockpit. The gunwales
are 26-inches tall, with low intensity courtesy lights for convenience
and built in foot wells to allow an angler to get a toe hold and feel
secure and stable when both hands are busy reeling in a fish. The
skipper can be a fisherman as well, running the boat from the optional
cockpit control station.

Cleats are of generous dimension, and each is reinforced with a baking
plate to provide maximum strength. An electric windlass is standard
equipment, and all rails are 1-1/4" stainless steel. Ron Meng's
enthusiasm for fishing and an outdoor adventure lifestyle are clearly
evident in the exterior features of the Ocean Sport 33, but as we
began inspecting the cabin areas we realized that the Ocean Sport is
intended to be a capable cruiser as well. "We have happy Ocean Sport
owners who have never had a fish aboard their boats unless they bought
it at a market," said Ron Meng.

Interior Amenities:

The Ocean Sport 33 is a two-stateroom layout. The forward stateroom
includes two single berths in a "V" configuration, but is designed to
accept a filler cushion to create an oversized, tapered queen. A
hanging locker is to port, and the head with marine toilet, stainless
steel sink, and handheld sink is to starboard. Fit and finish are
impressive on the Ocean Sport, with holly strips inlaid into teak
locker doors and drawers. The door into the head has an arched top,
and all interior brightwork is finished with a high gloss two-part
poly coating that gives the same splendid appearance as would a couple
of dozen coats of hand-rubbed varnish.

The main cabin features a helm in the starboard forequarter, a port
watch seat with a 3-way back that can face forward toward the front
windows, aft toward the dinette, or be folded away when the dinette is
converted to a double berth. A chart table is easily accessible when
the port watch seat is in the forward facing position. Large windows
ensure great visibility to all quarters of the compass. Years of
experience boating in all types of Pacific NW weather inspire Ron Meng
and Jim Lindell to offer a defrosting system for the front cabin
windows- a hot water based system manufactured by Seattle's Sure
Marine.

Headroom in the main cabin is exceptional, with 6'4" to 6'6" of
clearance available.

The galley is aft of the helm on the starboard side, and includes a
sink, a two burner propane stove, and a Sea Freeze (tm) refrigerator
freezer. The Sea Freeze unit uses a remote compressor, increasing
effective capacity of the cooler by a significant amount while using
only a standard under-counter cut out. A microwave oven is installed
under the aft settee of the port side convertible dinette. The dinette
will easily seat 4, will seat six good friends, and knocks down
quickly to an additional double berth if the two regular staterooms
can't accommodate the crowd.

Boaters who don't care too much about standing headroom but want a
huge amount of space in which to stretch out and relax will appreciate
the aft stateroom on the Ocean Sport 33. Companionway steps aft of the
dinette lead to a berthing area that is 7'5" long and 4'6" wide on the
port side of the vessel below the dinette. We have seen these "down
under" berths done poorly in some boats, resulting in spaces that seem
dark and claustrophobic. We are happy to report that the Ocean Sport
33 does an excellent job with the second stateroom, creating an
environment that would be enjoyed by most adults and probably coveted
as a secret hideaway by many kids. There is room to stand and dress in
the companionway.

Underway:

The Volvo D4's were easy to start, and ran exceptionally smoothly at
all speeds. One advantage of sterndrives in a design of this type is
that the engines are well removed from the main cabin and helm area.
Noise levels are reportedly 64db at cruise speed, placing the boat
with some of the quietest competition. Ron Meng credits some of the
sound attenuation to the effectiveness of the corecell(tm) hull. "Our
boats are incredibly well insulated," said Ron. "One year in January
we had a snow storm in the San Juans that missed Seattle entirely. I
had to run a boat down to the Seattle Boat Show, and left Lopez
without bothering to knock the snow off the top. You should have heard
everybody's reactions when I got to the Ballard Locks, even though I
was running the diesel heater to ward off the chill the cabin
insulation kept the snow on the cabin top from melting. Everybody
wanted to know where I had come from to have so much snow on the
roof."

The weather was typical of a sunny August afternoon, with a steady
breeze and light chop in Upright Channel. We applied enough power to
get on plane, and the Ocean Sport responded very quickly. We were
impressed that once established on plane, the boat could maintain a
plane at speeds as low as 11 knots- a factor sure to appeal to boaters
looking for some potential fuel economy as well as speed in their next
vessel.

Running the Ocean Sport Roamer was a lot like driving a sports car,
and certainly every bit as much fun. The boat will turn tightly, and
responds instantly to the helm. At the higher speeds we ran we were
literally flying across the wave tops, but there was none of the
smashing and splashing often associated with planing through chop. We
discovered the 33 Ocean Sport Roamer has a good turn of speed when
needed.

At 2500 rpm we made 23.4 kt, burning a combined 13 gph. Throttling up
to 2800 increased the speed to 28.3 kt, and fuel consumption to 15.8
gph. Sustained high speed cruising can be enjoyed at 3200 rpm, where
the nautical world flies by the cabin windows at an impressive 33 kt
at a combined fuel burn of 18.4 gph. Speed demons may occasionally
press the boat to WOT, (3600 rpm), and will experience speeds of 37.4
kt while burning 28 gph at that throttle setting.

Conclusions:

It's too bad that nobody has ever invented a Fun Meter for a boat,
because the Ocean Sport Roamer would rate very highly. We have always
heard positive things about boats built by Jim Lindell and the Ocean
Sport series specifically. Previous inspections of Ocean Sport
products had created an impression that the boats are well designed
and built, and our experience underway only served to confirm our high
expectations. We suspect that many buyers of Ocean Sports will be
interested in fishing, but anybody gravitating toward a boat with a
sensible deck plan and roomy cockpit should take the opportunity to
investigate an Ocean Sport Roamer.

Pricing for 30-foot Ocean Sport Roamers begins at $259,750 for a boat
with a single D6, 350 HP Volvo diesel. Set up with twin 260-HP D4's,
the base price of a 30-foot Roamer is $281,920. The 33 foot models
sell for $18,000 more than the 30-footers.

Ron Meng includes a hands-on orientation session with every vessel
sold. According to Ron, the thorough delivery process often stretches
into two or more days. Lodging and ground transportation while on
Lopez Island are included with each Roamer, and among all of the
excellent reasons to visit Lopez Island it would be hard to imagine
one any more compelling than taking delivery of a well designed and
carefully built Ocean Sport Roamer.

For additional information, please call Islands Marine Center at
360-468-3377 or email

"Chuck Gould" wrote in message

On Nov 24, 9:20 am, HK wrote:

The Parker 34 is targeted for the 2008 Model year. The plug for the hull
is almost complete.

Sounds a lot like one of our local boats, except the local boat is a
sterndrive, not an outboard model.

http://www.islandsmarinecenter.com/i...ecenter_6.html

Not too shabby. I like it.

Eisboch

HK HK is offline

On Nov 24, 9:20 am, HK wrote:

The Parker 34 is targeted for the 2008 Model year. The plug for the hull
is almost complete.

Sounds a lot like one of our local boats, except the local boat is a
sterndrive, not an outboard model.

http://www.islandsmarinecenter.com/i...ecenter_6.html

Not too shabby. I like it.

Eisboch

I do,too, but for the I/O's. Blech. I/O's.

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 12:20:19 -0500, HK wrote:

The Parker 34 is targeted for the 2008 Model year. The plug for the hull
is almost complete.

Parker is anticipating a large galley and table up in the pilot house.

In addition to the vee-berth in the bow, there will be a berth in the
“aft cabin area”, which means the sole of the pilothouse is elevated
enough to allow a aft-facing berth tucked in under.

The plan is for a separate enclosed head, with hot and cold pressurized
water for a shower. A compartment will be available aft for a generator,
if so optioned.

The Parker 34 will have a 12 foot beam. Power comes from twin Yamaha
350s. When asked how they will be attached, transom or bracket, the
response was "an integrated bracket," but not a euro-transom. Thank
goodness for that.

Hang on, Tom...your boat is coming.

A bracket is a bracket is a bracket - integrated or not.

And, for the record, I wouldn't buy a pilot house boat if it was your
money I was using.

In particular a Parker.

With Yamahas...

HK HK is offline

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
[...]

I prefer the brackets to the eurotransoms myself.

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 09:45:38 -0800 (PST), Chuck Gould
wrote:

http://www.islandsmarinecenter.com/i...ecenter_6.html

Gluttons for punishment can read a bit more about this boat below:

Ocean Sport Roamer 33,
High Expectations Fulfilled

Snipped

Puts any Parker I've seen to shame.
--
John H

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 15:19:04 -0500, HK wrote:

[...]

Of course you do - it's what you own.

I like the eurotransom on my boat - makes it look lean, mean and fast.

Which, at it happens, is true. :)
[...]

I do? My outboard boat does not have a bracket. The engine is bolted
right to the transom, which is what I prefer on small outboard boats.
The Parker I sold had a full width bracket/swim/boarding platform,
which, on that boat, was a great feature.

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 18:19:42 -0500, HK wrote:

[...]

Did you see the last article Chuck wrote? Wow, that boat sure puts Parkers
to shame, don't you think?
--
John H

The 51' Parker Chuck Gould General 1 August 19th 06 10:06 AM
Proper Parker Skipper General 0 February 20th 06 02:34 PM
Parker Death Trap akheel General 7 September 29th 03 06:19 PM