Default Deep frying a turkey

wrote in message
On Nov 22, 8:37 am, "BillP" wrote:
"Don White" wrote in message

Yes...oven cooked is the only way we'd even consider cooking our
turkey.

I guess you've never had one slow cooked over lump charcoal and apple
wood.

Oh, hell......we actually agree on something, sigh.....

There's hope for you yet.

"BillP" wrote in message

"Don White" wrote in message

Yes...oven cooked is the only way we'd even consider cooking our turkey.

I guess you've never had one slow cooked over lump charcoal and apple
wood.

Fried are nice a juicy and quick. We have done them that way on camping
trips. The oven roasted give you the drippings for excellent gravy, and I
also like to cook them in my offset firebox smoker for 8-9 hours with some
alderwood for smoke. They are all good.

"Don White" wrote in message

Yes...oven cooked is the only way we'd even consider cooking our turkey.

I guess you've never had one slow cooked over lump charcoal and apple
wood.

Fried are nice a juicy and quick. We have done them that way on camping
trips. The oven roasted give you the drippings for excellent gravy, and I
also like to cook them in my offset firebox smoker for 8-9 hours with some
alderwood for smoke. They are all good.

If you ever decide to try one on the grill or smoker, loogypicker and I do
the same thing, and it works. Buy a cheap pack of turkey wings, put in a
cast iron pan, and roast at 350 in the oven for a couple hours. This will
provide a good base for gravy, and it can be done early.
--
John H

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 16:37:39 GMT, "BillP" wrote:

"Don White" wrote in message
.. .

Yes...oven cooked is the only way we'd even consider cooking our turkey.

I guess you've never had one slow cooked over lump charcoal and apple wood.

This year I did one on the water smoker (9 hours) and one on the Weber
rotisserie (3 hours). Both were great, but the rotisserie cooked bird won
the contest. Next year I'll do the same.
--
John H

"Don White" wrote in message

Yes...oven cooked is the only way we'd even consider cooking our turkey.

I guess you've never had one slow cooked over lump charcoal and apple wood.

This year I did one on the water smoker (9 hours) and one on the Weber
rotisserie (3 hours). Both were great, but the rotisserie cooked bird won
the contest. Next year I'll do the same.

I found by only cooking the bird to 161 degrees (not a 160 or 162
degrees) the carry over heat will bring the bird up to proper temp. and
will be as moist as any meat you have ever ate.

PS - I got the 161 degree temp from Alton Brown, he is the original Mr.
Anal.

Senior Member

On Nov 21, 10:53 pm, HK wrote:
Eisboch wrote:
I was half thinking of trying to cook a deep fried turkey this year, just
for something different.

Until I came upon this, that is ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqemKVTf_38

Eisboch

Too redneck for me. We prefer baked, in the oven, with the perfume of
the baking bird filling the house.

Nope, not redneck. Redneck is under a garbage can, with a beer can,
some tinfoil, and a pile of charcoal. That's how my friends neighbor
does it down south, and ole' Jim Bob is about as redneck as you can
get... You should see what he can do with a potato and a hunk of
tubing

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 22:48:28 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

I was half thinking of trying to cook a deep fried turkey this year, just
for something different.

Until I came upon this, that is ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqemKVTf_38

Eisboch

No no- that's the Fourth of July method complete with fireworks. The
Thanksgiving method is much more subdued. Notice some of the comments
he made - the turkey was partially frozen and the pot was overfilled.
Best method is to put the turkey in the pot then add enough water to
cover well. Remove the turkey and mark the liquid level then fill to
that level with oil to ensure that you don't overfill. Also make sure
the turkey is completely thawed and dry. It's best to not fry on a
wooden deck. If done right, fried turkeys are moist and flavorful.
Enjoy.
Senior Member

On Nov 21, 11:48 pm, (Tom) wrote:
On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 22:48:28 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:
I was half thinking of trying to cook a deep fried turkey this year, just
for something different.

Until I came upon this, that is ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqemKVTf_38

Eisboch

No no- that's the Fourth of July method complete with fireworks. The
Thanksgiving method is much more subdued. Notice some of the comments
he made - the turkey was partially frozen and the pot was overfilled.
Best method is to put the turkey in the pot then add enough water to
cover well. Remove the turkey and mark the liquid level then fill to
that level with oil to ensure that you don't overfill. Also make sure
the turkey is completely thawed and dry. It's best to not fry on a
wooden deck. If done right, fried turkeys are moist and flavorful.
Enjoy.

Yeah, they intentionally set it up for effect. They used a frozen
turkey, not dried of, and filled the oil waaaaaay to high. To my eye,
that turkey was also overweight, most of those fryers call for 13 lbs
or less, iirc. On the other hand, they are pretty dangerous and
because I use them for steaming wood and various other things, I
picked up a couple a few years back just in case they come off the
market.
Jim Jim is offline

"Eisboch" wrote in message
I was half thinking of trying to cook a deep fried turkey this year, just
for something different.

Until I came upon this, that is ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqemKVTf_38

Eisboch

I had the experience of assisting in a turkey fry a couple of years ago.
It's a very exciting way to cook turkey, especially if the cook is oblivious
to the hazzards involved. The results were terrible.The legs and wings came
out crunchy and the meat was like leather.
I've done roasted turkey, Turkey on the BBQ, and Microwave turkey. All
produce acceptable results, but I like the BBQ method the best. The secret
is to keep water in the pan the turkey is cooking in. A 9X9 brownie pan is
large enough for a 15 lb. bird. You can use wood chips if you like the smoke
flavor.

BAR BAR is offline

Eisboch wrote:
I was half thinking of trying to cook a deep fried turkey this year, just
for something different.

Until I came upon this, that is ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqemKVTf_38

Eisboch

All you have to do is follow the directions and everything works out
fine. Fried turkey is the best.

Turkey Oil Strainer Jack Redington General 142 December 6th 06 04:49 PM
Turkey Day Eisboch General 7 November 28th 06 03:19 AM
Turkey! Joe ASA 22 November 27th 05 02:28 AM
Turkey Dave Manby General 1 May 2nd 04 11:46 PM
Turkey Dave Manby UK Paddle 0 April 26th 04 10:46 AM