Default Ping: Calif Bill

Did you get jostled around last night?
The in-laws in Pleasant Hill and Concord reported some pictures
knocked off the wall, etc. nothing major. Heard it was on the
Calavaras fault. Hope that doesn't set up stress in the Hayward fault.

Default Calif Bill

wrote in message
oups.com...
Did you get jostled around last night?
The in-laws in Pleasant Hill and Concord reported some pictures
knocked off the wall, etc. nothing major. Heard it was on the
Calavaras fault. Hope that doesn't set up stress in the Hayward fault.

Yes we shook fairly well. We are about 3 miles from the Calaveras fault,
but on a rocky hillside., not down in the alluvial plains that are the
valley floor around here. The Calaveras fault is much more likely to have a
7+ quake than the Hayward according to a lot of the seismologists. Friend
is with the USGS and is an earthquake guru and that is what he reports. My
mom lives very near the Hayward fault as it traverses the Oakland hills.
But her house was bolted to the foundation when it was build in 1908.
Amazes some people that they figured that out back then. Thanks for asking.
We had no damage, and only the chandelier rattled for about 5 minutes.

On Oct 31, 3:55 pm, "Calif Bill" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

The in-laws in Pleasant Hill aren't on the valley floor, but are
fairly low, the underlying soil structure is chert and weathered rock,
they barely felt it. One thing that people don't understand is that
with even a moderate quake, you can very likely have some sort of
structure damage. The Richter scale doesn't tell the whole story, as
there are two factors, acceleration, and velocity. So you can likely
have some sheetrock finishing to do, etc. Glad you came out with no
damage. When I was there taking a seismic course, at the time they
were studying the Hayward fault, and had a place close to Concord that
they'd excavated like slicing through it, so they could study the soil
(liquifaction, etc.) It was interesting.
But I don't know about the Calavaras being more likely to have a major
quake, they call the Hayward a tectonic time bomb, and are stressing
that it could produce a 7+ at any time. As a slip fault, it doesn't
slip much, stores the stresses, then when friction can't hold anymore,
wham.

On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 15:55:05 -0000, wrote:

On Oct 31, 3:55 pm, "Calif Bill" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

This thing on Saturday (
http://www.exoticeroticball.com/ ) followed
shortly be a health earthquake.

Any connection?

On Nov 1, 2:17 pm, John H. wrote:
On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 15:55:05 -0000, wrote:
On Oct 31, 3:55 pm, "Calif Bill" wrote:
wrote in message

groups.com...

[...]

Any connection?- Hide quoted text -

Care to even try to translate that into English?

On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 18:49:48 -0000, wrote:

On Nov 1, 2:17 pm, John H. wrote:
On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 15:55:05 -0000, wrote:
On Oct 31, 3:55 pm, "Calif Bill" wrote:
wrote in message

groups.com...

[...]

Whoops. Change 'health' to 'healthy', i.e. not a weak one!

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Oct 31, 3:55 pm, "Calif Bill" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

I know about damage. The Loma Prieta quake cracked the swimming pool.
About $5500 damage. Friend with the USGS says lot of his co-scientists
figure the Hayward is just not capable of a 7. Actually it slips a lot.
Why you can see a lot of the creep in the sidewalk and curbs.

On Nov 1, 9:37 pm, "Calif Bill" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

On Oct 31, 3:55 pm, "Calif Bill" wrote:
wrote in message

groups.com...

[...]

Why you can see a lot of the creep in the sidewalk and curbs.- Hide quoted text -

Oh, it slips, but not "a lot", compared to other faults. Take a look
at the difference between the San Andreas and the Hayward from an
airplane, you'll see what I mean. We took a tour of places along the
hayward, sidewalks, the stadium at Berkeley where it goes right
through it, etc.

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Nov 1, 9:37 pm, "Calif Bill" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

On Oct 31, 3:55 pm, "Calif Bill" wrote:
wrote in message

groups.com...

[...]

Just repeating what a friend who works for the USGS here and studies and
writes articles on earthquakes and fault lines says his fellow scientists
state about the Hayward fault. Very likely not capable of a 7 quake. But a
5.5 will still cause massive damage. Wife has requested a book from the
local library and was being transferred from the San Jose library. When she
asked why was not here yet, they said the SJ librarly had several thousand
books in piles on the floor.

Yo Calif Bill basskisser General 9 December 21st 06 08:26 PM
Ping: Calif Bill ( Loafer Creek) Bryan General 1 August 29th 06 06:17 AM
YO - Calif Bill!! JohnH General 2 April 30th 06 08:35 PM
Ping: Calif Bill basskisser General 2 April 28th 06 01:04 PM
Ping: Calif Bill JimH General 5 February 23rd 06 09:04 PM