Default Mac vs PC

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Oct 30, 8:43 am, "Canuck57" wrote:
" JimH" ask wrote in
om...

"Reginald P. Smithers III" wrote in message
On Oct 30, 7:51 am, "Reginald P. Smithers III"
wrote:
Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 06:54:23 -0400, "Reginald P. Smithers III"
wrote:
Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 06:24:20 -0400, "Reginald P. Smithers III"
wrote:
The reason I have started to think about this is I have a Win XP
Duo
Core processor with 2GB of Ram, and I am amazed at how slow
Photoshop
CS3 loads, especially when I compare the speed of Photoshop CS3
running
on an older Mac
I have 4 Gb and noticed the same thing. A video app I have is
even
slower, but comes right up on a Mac at Mrs. Wave's school
machine.
I am thinking about reformatting my hard drive and reinstalling
WinXP
with just the software we currently run. My daughters have a
tendency
to download an install new software just to check it out. Windows
does
not do a good job completely uninstalling the software.
I don't have that problem anymore. I don't play games on this
computer, I regularly update and clean out the cookies and clean
the
registries every once in a while. I'm running the pro version of
XP -
whatever that is and I have enough processor speed and memory for
just
about anything.
I used to give my kids the old computer whenever I purchased a new
one.
That way they could play games and would not screw up my machine.
That didn't work because the old machine would not run the new
games.
then started giving my old machine to my mother who only used it for
email and the internet. She soon got tired of using an old computer
and
purchased a new low end model. I am now giving away my old machine
neighbors or a community center who gives them to kids who can't
afford
a computer.

I am considering giving away my new laptop with Vista and getting a
Mac or buying an older second hand laptop with XP

Why don't you just reformat the hard drive and install XP?

Bingo! If Vista is not to my sons liking I will buy a WinXP Home
retail
package ($80 on the net), reformat it and install that OS. He will
be
giving it a go while home and will make the decision.

So how does it feel to be charged twice for an OS?- Hide quoted text -

It is called "the cost of doing business"... Sometimes it sucks, but
like I said, if you want to do business, you gotta' do PC.

Not really true any more. I have almost finished setting up Linux, and just
have the VPN software to go and it will be work ready. In fact, for many of
my clients Linux and other UNIX is preferred as it is native to the
development I provide. By my case is not main stream. I couldn't stomach
the thought of paying for windows twice.

But Macs are a great alternative. Not as many if any get root kits, bot'ed
and open office can do anything MS Office can, just costs a whole lot less.
In the end a Mac owner will spend less time putzing with their PC and
patches and more time using it. Comes with wireless, modem and Ethernet so
when on the road with a boat, it can do anything a McWin PC can do.

Senior Member

wrote:
[...]

when on the road with a boat, it can do anything a McWin PC can do.- Hide quoted text -

Gotta" go to work now but later I would to continue this, if you guys
can keep the wheels on the conv. for a few hours But I would
note as I said before, all of our main systems are Unix, Linux,
Apache.... But I was dealing with the Mac vs Pc issue..

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 08:28:51 -0500, John H. penned the following well
considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

|When I first started teaching, we had Macs everywhere. I think they were
|being given to the schools in the hopes the kids would get hooked.
|Eventually the county in which I teach got the word and went with Dells,
|for the most part. Now it's hard to find a Mac in the school.

Yeah, great half-marketing strategy. Apple gave the schools tons of
computers.... and they were used and appreciated.

It didn't work because Apple did a poor job of placing computers in
the workplace. Employers didn't see any advantage in students trained
on computers and an operating system they didn't use.

So..... Dell is usually the low bid and school systems buy cheap. We
have thousands of computers at my school and they are all Dell....

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Oak Island, NC.

Homepage
http://pamandgene.idleplay.net/

Rec.boats at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats
-----------------
-----------------
HK HK is offline

Gene Kearns wrote:
On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 08:28:51 -0500, John H. penned the following well
considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

|When I first started teaching, we had Macs everywhere. I think they were
|being given to the schools in the hopes the kids would get hooked.
|Eventually the county in which I teach got the word and went with Dells,
|for the most part. Now it's hard to find a Mac in the school.

Yeah, great half-marketing strategy. Apple gave the schools tons of
computers.... and they were used and appreciated.

It didn't work because Apple did a poor job of placing computers in
the workplace. Employers didn't see any advantage in students trained
on computers and an operating system they didn't use.

So..... Dell is usually the low bid and school systems buy cheap. We
have thousands of computers at my school and they are all Dell....

I love the Apple stores at the two malls around here, and I sure like
the ergonomics of the Apple computers, but the higher end machines are
grossly overpriced, to the point of being ridiculous when you consider
what is actually inside the nice case. What's in the case? A proprietary
motherboard and chipset and beyond that, standard PC components
available everywhere at much much lower prices.

Apple spends a lot of time and money on the external design of its
produces, and this is as true for its PCs as it is for its iPods.

BAR BAR is offline

Gene Kearns wrote:
On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 08:28:51 -0500, John H. penned the following well
considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

|When I first started teaching, we had Macs everywhere. I think they were
|being given to the schools in the hopes the kids would get hooked.
|Eventually the county in which I teach got the word and went with Dells,
|for the most part. Now it's hard to find a Mac in the school.

Yeah, great half-marketing strategy. Apple gave the schools tons of
computers.... and they were used and appreciated.

It didn't work because Apple did a poor job of placing computers in
the workplace. Employers didn't see any advantage in students trained
on computers and an operating system they didn't use.

So..... Dell is usually the low bid and school systems buy cheap. We
have thousands of computers at my school and they are all Dell....

This is the converse of how UNIX took over software development.

wrote in message
ups.com...
messagenews:hJOdnX8QZJalgLranZ2dnUVZ_qvinZ2d@comca st.com...

wrote:
[...]

giving it a go while home and will make the decision.- Hide quoted text -

Listen guys... If you are going to surf the net, spellcheck ng posts,
and edit pics of your little kitty cat, Mac is fine... If you are
going to really make a living and do business, not so much.. Unless
you are an art teacher or magazine editor.. even then...

The new macs with the Intel CPU run windows just fine. Actually I hear that
it is the best Windows machine.

"BAR" wrote in message
. ..
Gene Kearns wrote:
On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 08:28:51 -0500, John H. penned the following well
considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

|When I first started teaching, we had Macs everywhere. I think they were
|being given to the schools in the hopes the kids would get hooked.
|Eventually the county in which I teach got the word and went with Dells,
|for the most part. Now it's hard to find a Mac in the school.

Yeah, great half-marketing strategy. Apple gave the schools tons of
computers.... and they were used and appreciated.

It didn't work because Apple did a poor job of placing computers in
the workplace. Employers didn't see any advantage in students trained
on computers and an operating system they didn't use. So..... Dell is
usually the low bid and school systems buy cheap. We
have thousands of computers at my school and they are all Dell....

This is the converse of how UNIX took over software development.

No it isn't. Bell Labs used to deliver Unix to the schools for the VAX
systems for $250 copy fee. $25k to a commercial customer. So lots of
programmers coming out of school were used to Unix and C.

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 07:22:26 -0400, "Reginald P. Smithers III"
wrote:

About 15 secs for CS3 the first time, but when I closed it to try it a
second time, it opened in less than 5. Seems like there is a FNP
Licensing Service program that takes awhile to check out everything when
you first open the software, but it stays running in the background even
after shutting Photoshop down.

Perhaps but I think there's another reason also. I'd guess that a lot
of the I/O buffers used in the previous open are still laying around
untouched. Any time you can avoid an I/O by reusing a buffer cache it
saves a lot of time.

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 07:59:36 -0400, " JimH" ask wrote:

Careful or John will accuse you of having a cheap AMD processor.

Or in the spirit of "leading by example" will have nothing to say at
all.