Default Florida Trip Notes

Vic Smith wrote:
like the gulf, which is usually pretty flat.

Don't count on that. When the wind blows, the waves kick up just like
big water anywhere else. I don't know how many people die around here
every year due to misjudging the weather, but it happens on a fairly
regular basis. Bring a serious open water boat unless you're planning
on staying in the rivers and bayous.

Rick

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 16:48:37 -0400, wrote:

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 13:43:17 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

in Cook
county. RE tax last year was 4K, for a 1200 sq ft house

Then the taxes shouldn't shock you. I wonder why all the snow birds
have their panties in such a bunch. They make it sound like they are
getting robbed. I guess they are just ****ed that we cap tax hikes to
3% for homesteaded residents. 3% a year still adds up pretty fast and
they reset the assessment if you move to whatever you paid so you
could buy a smaller house and end up with higher taxes.

Maybe the squawkers came from low tax areas, maybe they're
just plain squawkers. Taxes aren't cheap here, but it's a decent area
with good schools, which always eat most of the taxes.
My home insurance cost is low, about 500.
BTW, 1200 sq ft here is different than in Florida, because there's
another 1200 sq ft of basement. But then a bungalow style house like
I have has small rooms compared to a 2000 sq ft house in Florida.
But I will miss my basement, and maybe my detached garage.
Nice retreats.
Anyway, I'm thinking about going at least 20 miles inland from the
gulf, probably north of Tampa, but not really sure.
The housing price/insurance difference by staying away from the salt
will buy a nice boat and years of marina space. And no way I could
get the wife - or myself really - to move where there's a possibility
of tidal surge taking the house unless I was wealthier than I am.
I really need to get down there for a few weeks just "investigating"
instead of "vacationing."
I've got some work to do on the house up here too, if I want
to rent or sell it, so I'm looking at 2009 for the move, and who knows
what changes will happen before then.
But hey, at least this has got me putting down some plans.
I mentioned before planning a short stay at a relative's inland home
during this vacation to give my wife a view of something other than
the waterfront condos and resorts we always go to.
Though I enjoyed the visit and learned a lot too, it was done mostly
to turn my wife into considering Florida. It worked.
I love it when a plan comes together!

--Vic
HK HK is offline

wrote:

[...]

Might I suggest you investigate the area from Tallahassee south to the
gulf, via Route 319. The terrain is hilly, a lot different than most of
California, Tallahassee is an interesting small city, there's a big
national forest along the way, and when you get down to Panacea, there's
good boating and fishing.

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 19:11:04 -0400, HK wrote:

Might I suggest you investigate the area from Tallahassee south to the
gulf, via Route 319. The terrain is hilly, a lot different than most of
California, Tallahassee is an interesting small city, there's a big
national forest along the way, and when you get down to Panacea, there's
good boating and fishing.

Thanks. I'll check it out. BTW, where I visited about 40 miles west
of Ocala was a bit hilly too. In fact, it was called Beverly Hills
(-:
I'm not averse to going farther north, and can certainly take all the
"cold" Florida can throw at me. I remember you saying there are
actual seasons north, and the one thing I don't like about Florida
is lack of distinct seasons - at least as I know them.

--Vic

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 00:22:00 -0400, wrote:

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 18:00:57 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

BTW, 1200 sq ft here is different than in Florida, because there's
another 1200 sq ft of basement.

The difference is I also have 2200 sq/ft screen cage that I can use
for living space 11 months a year, 12 if you are willing to wear
clothes. ;-)
I only have 1315 sq/ft "under air" and another 356 in a "Florida
room", 448 sq/ft of my screen cage is open under a roof, according to
the tax collector and they have better pictures of my house than I do.

I pay $1489 but without the "homestead" it would be $3777

I agree on the garage (aka detached shop), I couldn't live without it.
I also have a 12x16 masonry shed

Yeah, I would need a shed if my wife won't change her storage habits.
Here it's common for people to have a portion of the basement loaded
with various junk. Mine is walled as 2/3 rec room and 1/3
shop/storage.
Two 8' workbenches I built back there and the other wall stacked with
cardboard boxes full of "stuff." Now being converted to plastic
containers of "stuff" because I demanded we do that. Must have 300
bucks in plastic containers by now.
Christmas stuff, Halloween stuff, kid's old school stuff, kid's old
toys stuff, wife's extra clothes and linens stuff.
Since I don't care for wood work any more, and built a work bench in
the garage, I don't really need that part of the basement, but I know
I'll need a shed because my wife will want a place for some "stuff."
I've noted, and so has she, that we'll have much more open living
space in a Florida home, but not as much storage area for "stuff"
in the house.

--Vic

wrote:

[...]

Hee hee...it doesn't get any better...besides my stuff...I'm storing my
mom's possessions as she is now in a nursing home ward (waiting for a
private room), my oldest son's stuff..he's out in Vancouver, and my youngest
son's stuff, who moved in temporarily 15 months ago.
I may have to build another wing onto the house as a storage warehouse.

Vic seems like a good guy so I'll let him on a good thing, the Fl Big
Bend area N of Crystal River and east of Apalachicola on the Gulf
side. Great fishing, small towns, easy to get a cheaper slip.
Housing costs are on the low side and we have real seasons. If you
want the best of being inland and availability of salt water, try
Wakulla County. If ya want more city, try Leon Co (Tallahassee). If
you want real old FL, try Cedar Key.

wrote:

Anyway, I'm thinking about going at least 20 miles inland from the
gulf, probably north of Tampa, but not really sure.
The housing price/insurance difference by staying away from the salt
will buy a nice boat and years of marina space.

Up there in the Keystone area norh of Tampa you can get on a lake but
that can get pricy. I bet you can shop right now tho. I have a good
friend up there. My daughter and SIL bounced around Florida a lot when
he was a park ranger. I agree it can be nice up in the pan handle but
you do get "seasons" and they seem to get more storms.
They were in Pensacola, Port St Joe (Mexico Beach) and down the road
in Naples. Then he wen off to Ft Lauderdale to "undevelop property for
the city and now he is wih water management in West Palm Beach.
Okeechobee may be their next stop. That is a step back in time but
there is a huge lake to boat on also plenty of water to manage.
Alas, much like the lake at the top of this thread, not as much water
as there was a while ago. Again "mis" management of the water was the
biggest problem and again they blame the COE. COE paniced after the
2005 storm season and drained the lake. It never filled back up.

I really haven't had any interest in FW fishing since I first tried
salt, and have no interest in lake living. I'm pretty set on living
away from water and using the house/insurance price difference for the
boat and berthing it. But I almost never say never.
I saw a 3 BR house - maybe condo- for rent in Cape Coral, with davited
dock, on a canal edging the Caloosahatchee, at jaw-dropping cheap
yearly rate.
Can't remember exactly, but it was about 1200 a month.
Seems silly to me, but they're even renting brand new homes off the
water for 850 or so. Don't know how long that'll last, but the
speculators are sucking it up right now.
The Crystal River area I visited was nice though, inexpensive for my
needs, and Kings Bay is a short drive. It's a ways to the gulf on the
river, but doable enough if you aren't in a hurry. I'm not.
Might even find the river satisfies me without getting to the gulf if
the fishing helps it along.
Still have to look north, and maybe even on the east coast.
I'm planning a trip soon to look around. There's just too much I
don't know about Florida.

--Vic
Senior Member

wrote:

[...]

--Vic- Hide quoted text -

Buddy of mine just got a little chunk of land just off the
intersection of 10 and 75. They just put a Hilton and a Walmart in so
something is coming down the line. Got it real cheap too and is
building a house. A couple of decades from now, his back lot will be
worth a mint for building lots...

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 08:27:51 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

I saw a 3 BR house - maybe condo- for rent in Cape Coral, with davited
dock, on a canal edging the Caloosahatchee, at jaw-dropping cheap
yearly rate.
Can't remember exactly, but it was about 1200 a month.

There are good water front rental bargains all over SWFL right now.
Many speculators bought houses with the intent of doing a quick buck
flip and got stuck when prices went south. Try to rent with an option
to buy if you can get it. The banks have taken back a lot of these
properties from the speculators and are willing to bargain agressively
to get them off their books.