ULB ULB is offline

Default Motor to Catalina on 2HP?

Lets say two people set out and try to do Long Beach to Catalina. 14
foot flat skiff (jon boat) with a 2HP motor (4 stroke).

Boat is un-sinkable. Would you try it, and what conditions? What
would you take other than obvious? Obvious, sat phone, flares, food
and water, oh yeah, fire extinguisher. Gots to being the poles.
hehe!

Just thinking out loud.

Take care,

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 20:04:00 -0700, ULB
wrote:

Lets say two people set out and try to do Long Beach to Catalina. 14
foot flat skiff (jon boat) with a 2HP motor (4 stroke).

Boat is un-sinkable. Would you try it, and what conditions? What
would you take other than obvious? Obvious, sat phone, flares, food
and water, oh yeah, fire extinguisher. Gots to being the poles.
hehe!

Just thinking out loud.

======================================

Wrong boat for the trip for lots of reasons, too many to enumerate.

At the very least use an inflatable and carry a registered, automatic
EPIRB. Other people have already done stupid, so why bother?

wrote:

Lets say two people set out and try to do Long Beach to Catalina. 14
foot flat skiff (jon boat) with a 2HP motor (4 stroke).

Boat is un-sinkable. Would you try it, and what conditions? What
would you take other than obvious? Obvious, sat phone, flares, food
and water, oh yeah, fire extinguisher. Gots to being the poles.
hehe!

Just thinking out loud.

======================================

Wrong boat for the trip for lots of reasons, too many to enumerate.

At the very least use an inflatable and carry a registered, automatic
EPIRB. Other people have already done stupid, so why bother?

Darwin candidate! Coming in to Alamitos Bay today the forcast for the
afternoon was gale force winds becoming Santa Anas. Santa Anas are high
winds blowing offshore. Lost a hoop while going for lobster last night and
went out to see if I could find it in daylights. I did as the tide was
slack. Line had got a tangle in it when I let it out last night asbouy was
most likely under water because of the current. Had the wind change faster
than ever today. Was calm and about 300 yards from the channel entrance a
blast hit me and spun the boat around an was instant white caps and nasty.
As I got to my slip, the VHF was alive with calls for help. One from a
Columbia 25 and the aux motor did not have enough power to get him into the
wind and the harbor. Was being pushed out to sea. So a 2 hp on a small
boat may mean you are found floating and dead off Chile 6-7 months later.
Research teh story of the sailboat going to Cat early this year / late last
year that dismasted.

"ULB" wrote in message
oups.com...
Lets say two people set out and try to do Long Beach to Catalina. 14
foot flat skiff (jon boat) with a 2HP motor (4 stroke).

Boat is un-sinkable. Would you try it, and what conditions? What
would you take other than obvious? Obvious, sat phone, flares, food
and water, oh yeah, fire extinguisher. Gots to being the poles.
hehe!

Just thinking out loud.

Take care,

Twenty-six miles across the sea
Santa Catalina is a-waitin' for me
Santa Catalina, the island of romance
Romance, romance, romance

Water all around it everywhere
Tropical trees and the salty air
But for me the thing that's a-waitin' there, romance

It seems so distant, twenty-six miles away
Restin' in the water serene
I'd work for anyone, even the Navy
Who would float me to my island dream

Twenty-six miles, so near yet far
I'd swim with just some water-wings and my guitar
I could leave the wings
But I'll need the guitar for romance
Romance, romance, romance

Twenty-six miles across the sea
Santa Catalina is a-waitin' for me
Santa Catalina, the island of romance

A tropical heaven out in the ocean
Covered with trees and girls
If I have to swim, I'll do it forever
'Til I'm gazin' on those island pearls

Forty kilometers in a leaky old boat
Any old thing that'll stay afloat
When we arrive we'll all promote romance
Romance, romance, romance

Twenty-six miles across the sea
Santa Catalina is a-waitin' for me
Santa Catalina
The island of romance
Romance, romance, romance

Twenty-six miles across the sea
Santa Catalina is a-waitin' for me

ps.. I wouldn't think of trying it in my aluminum Yukon 15 with it's 25 hp
outboard.

HK HK is offline

ULB wrote:
Lets say two people set out and try to do Long Beach to Catalina. 14
foot flat skiff (jon boat) with a 2HP motor (4 stroke).

Boat is un-sinkable. Would you try it, and what conditions? What
would you take other than obvious? Obvious, sat phone, flares, food
and water, oh yeah, fire extinguisher. Gots to being the poles.
hehe!

Just thinking out loud.

Take care,

Stupid is as stupid does.

Senior Member

On Oct 22, 6:25 am, HK wrote:
ULB wrote:
Lets say two people set out and try to do Long Beach to Catalina. 14
foot flat skiff (jon boat) with a 2HP motor (4 stroke).

Boat is un-sinkable. Would you try it, and what conditions? What
would you take other than obvious? Obvious, sat phone, flares, food
and water, oh yeah, fire extinguisher. Gots to being the poles.
hehe!

Just thinking out loud.

Take care,

Stupid is as stupid does.

I was ok till he suggested he was "thinking"

"ULB" wrote
Would you try it,

No.

and what conditions?

Perfect or better.

What would you take other than obvious?

A bigger boat.

In good conditions the passage appears to be survivable in a small boat.
Small being a relative term. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_8lCa9-qoc

"Ernest Scribbler" wrote in message
et...
"ULB" wrote
Would you try it,

No.

and what conditions?

Perfect or better.

What would you take other than obvious?

A bigger boat.

In good conditions the passage appears to be survivable in a small boat.
Small being a relative term. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_8lCa9-qoc

Jerky but interesting video.
I was gonna say...I'd have tried that voyage in perfect weather conditions
on my Sandpiper 565...very similar to the Potter 19.

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 08:43:08 -0400, "Ernest Scribbler"
wrote:

In good conditions the passage appears to be survivable in a small boat.
Small being a relative term. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_8lCa9-qoc

That small sailboat is much more seaworthy than a jon boat:

1. Higher freeboard

2. Ballast and self righting ability

3. Water tight hatches/protection from down flooding

4. Secondary means of propulsion

5. Self draining cockpit

6. Protection from the elements

and the list goes on...

"Wayne.B" wrote
That small sailboat is much more seaworthy than a jon boat:

Agreed. Hence the caveat.