HK HK is offline

Default Radio Check! Radio Check!

I was testing a new VHF handheld the other day, and I switched to
Channel 9 and asked for a "radio check" from anyone who was picking up
my signal. Got a couple of good responses, including one farther away
than I thought a handheld could reach, and one response from some
a**hole who was "annoyed" that I was asking for a radio check.

He said, "use another channel, dammit."

Well...

I know channel 16 is inappropriate for a radio check, but I always
thought channel 9 was just fine.

If you want a VHF radio check, what channel do you use?

John H. wrote:
On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 08:02:10 -0400, HK wrote:

I was testing a new VHF handheld the other day, and I switched to
Channel 9 and asked for a "radio check" from anyone who was picking up
my signal. Got a couple of good responses, including one farther away
than I thought a handheld could reach, and one response from some
a**hole who was "annoyed" that I was asking for a radio check.

He said, "use another channel, dammit."

Well...

I know channel 16 is inappropriate for a radio check, but I always
thought channel 9 was just fine.

If you want a VHF radio check, what channel do you use?

I use Channel 9. Herring Bay Marina usually has someone monitoring Ch 9,
and I'll call them. They've always been responsive and I've never gotten
any **** from them. Out on the water, I've often contacted Tidalfish guys
on Ch 68.

I normally call a specific marina or SeaTow on channel 9.

On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 08:02:10 -0400, HK wrote:

I know channel 16 is inappropriate for a radio check, but I always
thought channel 9 was just fine.

If you want a VHF radio check, what channel do you use?

Channel 9 is fine. Another strategy is to call SeaTow on channel 16,
switch to their working channel and ask for a signal report. SeaTow
seems to be OK with it, free advertising for them.
Jim Jim is offline

"HK" wrote in message
. ..
I was testing a new VHF handheld the other day, and I switched to Channel 9
and asked for a "radio check" from anyone who was picking up my signal. Got
a couple of good responses, including one farther away than I thought a
handheld could reach, and one response from some a**hole who was "annoyed"
that I was asking for a radio check.

He said, "use another channel, dammit."

Well...

I know channel 16 is inappropriate for a radio check, but I always thought
channel 9 was just fine.

If you want a VHF radio check, what channel do you use?

Dunno. But your response should have been "10-4 good buddy. Keep the shiny
side up"

On Oct 3, 5:02?am, HK wrote:
I was testing a new VHF handheld the other day, and I switched to
Channel 9 and asked for a "radio check" from anyone who was picking up
my signal. Got a couple of good responses, including one farther away
than I thought a handheld could reach, and one response from some
a**hole who was "annoyed" that I was asking for a radio check.

He said, "use another channel, dammit."

Well...

I know channel 16 is inappropriate for a radio check, but I always
thought channel 9 was just fine.

If you want a VHF radio check, what channel do you use?

Harry, how do you happen to annoy people who only hear you utter a
short phrase? Doesn't it normally require an entire sentence or
two? :-)

Any working channel should be fine for a radio check.

It's been so long since anybody was required to have an FTC license to
broadcast VHF within the US that maybe 1/3 or more of the boaters
don't *really* know how to use it. CB slang is rampant. It's one of
the few aspects in life where the careless and uninformed publicly
announce their ignorance.

Reminds me of a time about a yeat after the FTC suspended licensing.
I hailed somebody in proper format, including the call sign of my
station.
Some goombah cuts in on 16 immediately and snarks, "Asshole! Nobody
has call letters any more." Of course everybody with a license had
call letters until the license expired, but 16 wasn't the place to
debate this fool- nor was it worth the effort.

HK HK is offline

Chuck Gould wrote:
On Oct 3, 5:02?am, HK wrote:
I was testing a new VHF handheld the other day, and I switched to
Channel 9 and asked for a "radio check" from anyone who was picking up
my signal. Got a couple of good responses, including one farther away
than I thought a handheld could reach, and one response from some
a**hole who was "annoyed" that I was asking for a radio check.

He said, "use another channel, dammit."

Well...

I know channel 16 is inappropriate for a radio check, but I always
thought channel 9 was just fine.

If you want a VHF radio check, what channel do you use?

Harry, how do you happen to annoy people who only hear you utter a
short phrase? Doesn't it normally require an entire sentence or
two? :-)

"Chuck Gould on Slow Old Tub asking for a radio check...please report my
signal."

On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 07:27:11 -0700, Chuck Gould
wrote:

Some goombah cuts in on 16 immediately and snarks, "Asshole! Nobody
has call letters any more."

I hear commercial boats using call letters fairly frequently.

On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 10:31:08 -0400, HK wrote:

Gee, all I said was this:

"Chuck Gould on Slow Old Tub asking for a radio check...please report my
signal."

Was your low transom showing?

Gee, all I said was this:

"Chuck Gould on Slow Old Tub asking for a radio check...please report my
signal."

Was your low transom showing?

LT hanging over his belt.

radio check with VHF Charlie Brown General 5 December 10th 05 07:40 PM
SSB radio check Your name Electronics 7 June 16th 05 03:02 AM
Emergency marine radio - aviation 121.5 radio in a pinch? Mitchell Gossman General 12 June 20th 04 04:56 PM
Check This Out Bertie the Bunyip ASA 3 August 16th 03 01:20 PM
Lake Travis radio check [email protected] General 1 August 11th 03 10:48 PM