Senior Member

Default What guage wire??

I want to install my battery in the bow of my 16 foot skiff. The
battery will power the starter for a 25 horse electric start
evinrude.
The total cable length will be 18 feet, no breaks. What guage wire do
I need to use, do I need to use something as big as a car like 4
guage, or can I use 8?? How many amps does a typical 25 horse starter
draw?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just Wait

wrote in message
ups.com...
I want to install my battery in the bow of my 16 foot skiff. The
battery will power the starter for a 25 horse electric start
evinrude.
The total cable length will be 18 feet, no breaks. What guage wire do
I need to use, do I need to use something as big as a car like 4
guage, or can I use 8?? How many amps does a typical 25 horse starter
draw?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just Wait

The wire should always be thicker than the largest drill bit you have on
hand to make the necessary holes, and all the stores are closed. It's
inevitable.

Senior Member

On Sep 23, 11:27 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

I want to install my battery in the bow of my 16 foot skiff. The
battery will power the starter for a 25 horse electric start
evinrude.
The total cable length will be 18 feet, no breaks. What guage wire do
I need to use, do I need to use something as big as a car like 4
guage, or can I use 8?? How many amps does a typical 25 horse starter
draw?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just Wait

The wire should always be thicker than the largest drill bit you have on
hand to make the necessary holes, and all the stores are closed. It's
inevitable.

That would be some pretty big frekin' wire. I am a tool guy.
Anyways, I have some calculations here somewhere if someone can tell
me what that starter should draw... somewhere... Hopefully one of you
can just tell me what guage I should be using

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 23, 11:27 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

Tom should be along shortly, although he'll probably suggest using frozen
quantum proton streams to move the power from bow to stern.

"Gene Kearns" wrote
Crimp the lugs (no solder)

Whyzzat?

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 23, 11:27 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

Your buddy Tom should be able to tell you that. Somewhere he has my
phamplets for the starter motor he installed on the Johnson 25 on my
Princecraft.

Tim Tim is offline

On Sep 23, 11:31 am, "JimH" ask wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

I want to install my battery in the bow of my 16 foot skiff. The
battery will power the starter for a 25 horse electric start
evinrude.
The total cable length will be 18 feet, no breaks. What guage wire do
I need to use, do I need to use something as big as a car like 4
guage, or can I use 8?? How many amps does a typical 25 horse starter
draw?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just Wait

Besides Gene's suggestion, this discussion may also be of some help:http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000565.html

8 will probably do ok. but if you have access to 4 it would be
better. the brush leads in the starter itself, if combined don't equal
about 8 ga., so 8 will probably work, but 4 would work better.

Tim Tim is offline

On Sep 23, 2:11 pm, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:
On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 15:19:31 -0000,
wrote:

I want to install my battery in the bow of my 16 foot skiff. The
battery will power the starter for a 25 horse electric start
evinrude.
The total cable length will be 18 feet, no breaks. What guage wire do
I need to use, do I need to use something as big as a car like 4
guage, or can I use 8?? How many amps does a typical 25 horse starter
draw?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Go to Abuchon's and get 20 feet of #10 zip wire. You don't need
anything larger than #10 - that starter doesn't require tons of amps.

Assuming you have a RV type battery, get 5/16 and 3/8 lugs - crimp on.

Get some shrink tubing for the lugs.

Get some acid free soldering flux.

Optional - obtain a circuit breaker panel like this:

http://tinyurl.com/2lnqz4

Run the wire, Install the shrink wrap, install the lugs, crimp them
lightly, solder the lugs, shrink the shrink wrap, hook up the circuit
breaker box (assuming you obtain one) and that's it.

No need for #8 or #4 - you don't have anything heavy enough on that
boat to require that.

Just Wait

For what?

Even for #8 Tom, tis best to have and not nead, than to need and not
have."

\However to eat my own words, I think that going "marine" this, and
"marine" that is a bit of over kill. I mean, I work around farm
machinery that sits out in the weather for years, and will take much
more of a beating than What that little skiff will ever see. And not
meaning to be offensive to anyone, but going to a marina to get
"marine grade" for this project is a bit overkill to the wallet
instead of hardware store and automotive parts that will function fine
with less pricing.

Tom, if 8 g. is too big, then go 10g. it's good for about 70a. on
12v . After all, the least it will do while cranking the 25 horse (if
having a hard to start spell). is slowly melt the insulation
off.. ?:

Battery Charger and Wire Guage wjcons Electronics 2 July 27th 07 11:37 PM
bad trim guage Black-n-Gold General 6 July 17th 07 07:02 PM
Sunray Temperature Guage Glen & Wendie Shevel Cruising 0 July 27th 04 03:45 PM
Johnson 3 wire trim motor.. Red, Blue, green.. How to wire up? [email protected] General 5 May 30th 04 04:34 PM
Sych guage question Paul General 0 August 19th 03 08:37 PM