Default Yo Tim!

Haven't seen you around much.
Been taking the Marquis out? And did you ever
blast or chip the trailer?

--Vic
Tim Tim is offline

On Aug 31, 5:17 pm, Vic Smith wrote:
Haven't seen you around much.
Been taking the Marquis out? And did you ever
blast or chip the trailer?

--Vic

Hi Vic. Actually I do contribute several posts here on the rec.boats,
but in some of the longer threads, I suppsoe one can get lost in the
shuffle.

Yes, I hve taked the Marquis out quite a bit this summer, and it's
really been a joy. I usually take it to the big lake (Carlyle) that
is, when it isn't blistering hot, which lately has been dominant with
high humidity. It's been great! I did use the chisel on many of the
rough spots on the trailer but didn't get it all done, jsut the worst,
I would suppose.

But for a quickafter hr. romp, I take the little Chris Craft 169
Scorption to the small lake (Omega at Forbes state park) Make a few
laps, lob around and swim a bit.

Both boats are fun for their now designated purposes, and even though
I really haven't enjoyed boating as much this year ans I wish that I
could (every weekend, etc.) I've still gone out quite a bit. I'd like
to go out thisweekend, but my son is up from Tenn. with his wife and
new baby, and I'd like to spend time at home with them. Don't want to
take the sweet little 8 mo. old out tot he lake... And concerning
Monday, my plans got changed. The band I play bass in, is playing at
a local, and rather large Labor Day festival. That'll be fun too!
Next weekend we play at a local Fall Festival, so thats also out, but
there's plenty of time left, and I'm going to take advantage of it.

Vic, thanks for asking.

Tim

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 23:29:57 -0000, Tim wrote:

On Aug 31, 5:17 pm, Vic Smith wrote:
Haven't seen you around much.
Been taking the Marquis out? And did you ever
blast or chip the trailer?

--Vic

Hi Vic. Actually I do contribute several posts here on the rec.boats,
but in some of the longer threads, I suppsoe one can get lost in the
shuffle.

Nah, I've seen you around, just not much on what's going on with the
Marquis for a couple months.

Yes, I hve taked the Marquis out quite a bit this summer, and it's
really been a joy. I usually take it to the big lake (Carlyle) that
is, when it isn't blistering hot, which lately has been dominant with
high humidity. It's been great! I did use the chisel on many of the
rough spots on the trailer but didn't get it all done, jsut the worst,
I would suppose.

That's how I do my cars, just the rough spots. I don't enter any
beauty contests. And I was wondering if the weather was keeping
you in. Up here it seems the last couple months have been hot or
rainy or both after a good start on the summer.

But for a quickafter hr. romp, I take the little Chris Craft 169
Scorption to the small lake (Omega at Forbes state park) Make a few
laps, lob around and swim a bit.

Both boats are fun for their now designated purposes, and even though
I really haven't enjoyed boating as much this year ans I wish that I
could (every weekend, etc.) I've still gone out quite a bit. I'd like
to go out thisweekend, but my son is up from Tenn. with his wife and
new baby, and I'd like to spend time at home with them. Don't want to
take the sweet little 8 mo. old out tot he lake... And concerning
Monday, my plans got changed. The band I play bass in, is playing at
a local, and rather large Labor Day festival. That'll be fun too!
Next weekend we play at a local Fall Festival, so thats also out, but
there's plenty of time left, and I'm going to take advantage of it.

When do you usually say your boating season is done down there?
Do you ever boat in the winter?

--Vic
Tim Tim is offline

On Aug 31, 6:53 pm, Vic Smith wrote:
[...]

No Vic, I've never boated in the winter, even though I know some real
die-hards who feesh out of a boat as long as the water isn''t frozen
over.

There's usually a reasonably warm few days even into the first of Nov.
where the temps are in the mid 50's and I'll still go out if ti's
sunny. but when we have our fall time change it starts getting dark at
approx 5:30 pm, I'd jsut as soon call it quits. when the weather
starts to get around freezing at night, that's when I drain them give
them a pink stuff transfusion, and tuck them away until about April.

Tim Tim is offline

On Aug 31, 6:53 pm, Vic Smith wrote:

That's how I do my cars, just the rough spots. I don't enter any
beauty contests. And I was wondering if the weather was keeping
you in. Up here it seems the last couple months have been hot or
rainy or both after a good start on the summer.

The weather has been blistering, and I probably would have taken the
big boat out more with the family,but I never saved the time to make a
Bimini or purchase one. at almost 52, I really don't know if time is
speeding up, or if I'm slowing down. No, I HAVE been very busy this
year, it seems like . really busier than I thought I'd be.

Probably and possibly this fall, I might take the Marquis on a river
cruise on the Ohio, for a loong (possinbly 4 day) weekend. Go down to
Cave in Rock on a thursday evening, run the Ohio and be back home
tue's evening. sleep on the boat etc. I'll do it if I can talk the
wife into the idea. It won't be so warm then, and leaves turning the
banks of the Ohio should be beautiful that time of the year.

Eh, we'll see.

Tim Tim is offline

[...]

Vic, you still have plans to move to FL? Did you decide on a boat
yet?

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 20:37:01 -0700, Tim wrote:

No Vic, I've never boated in the winter, even though I know some real
die-hards who feesh out of a boat as long as the water isn''t frozen
over.

Like me. I've been known to go fishing on Webster Lake with skim ice
the day before Christmas.

This summer I chartered with a guide on Lake Murray and he told me he
had a charter once in late January. Temperature was 17 or so and
winds were upwards of 20. He called the client and kinda gave a hint
that it might be better to wait a couple of days before until the
weather got warmer and the client said "What the hell kind of guide
are you?".

ROTFL!!

Turns out the two guys were from Alaska.

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 07:30:50 -0500, John H.
wrote:

Tom, put on your boat knowledge hat for a minute. I'm being offered a Key
West, 18', CC, with the Yamaha 4stroke 150 HP and aluminum trailer for
about $28K.

A Scout, with the same engine, etc, would run about $4-5K more. Are they
worth it?

I prefer the Scout over the Key West in that size boat. Very similar
to my Ranger in terms of fit and finish, it's fairly well thought out
for a smallish CC and the general build quality is better. Which is
not to say that Key West boats are junk - they aren't. In my opinion,
Scout pays a little more attention to little things. And I'll be the
first person to admit that I can be very picky.

In terms of specs, they are almost identical. Minor changes in
deadrise and draft, weights are similar and performance figures per
Yamaha are identical. Nice wide beam on both boats. Layout is
similar with a slight advantage to the Key West in storage and access
to storage.

Styling, I like the Key West over the Scout. Performance, I'd have to
give it to the Scout if only because of the bracket system they use
for the outboard which effectively adds 6 inches in length which
improves performance given the same engines.

My personal experience with Scout is a friends 205 CC which is a very
nice boat. Personal experience with a Key West was 196 Bay boat which
had some features I liked, but I was turned off by some things that
others would consider minor or non-issues. Like I said, I can be
picky.

So, given that, it's your decision. If you want similar performance,
proven quality and pay less, it's Key West. Not a bad choice.

On the other hand, pay more, a slightly better quality boat (in my
opinion), similar performance and pay more, it's Scout. Also not a
bad choice.

For the record, I still think, dollar-for-dollar, Polar is the best
boat out there in this size center console.

And now, I'm going to detail my Ranger and maybe fit in the
Princecraft in between mowing/trimming three lawns.

WHOO HOO!!

--
***** Hope your day is better than decent! *****

John H
HK HK is offline

wrote:

Tom, put on your boat knowledge hat for a minute. I'm being offered a Key
West, 18', CC, with the Yamaha 4stroke 150 HP and aluminum trailer for
about $28K.

A Scout, with the same engine, etc, would run about $4-5K more. Are they
worth it?

I prefer the Scout over the Key West in that size boat. Very similar
to my Ranger in terms of fit and finish, it's fairly well thought out
for a smallish CC an

And now, I'm going to detail my Ranger and maybe fit in the
Princecraft in between mowing/trimming three lawns.

WHOO HOO!!

Once you get the wax-on, wax-off down straight, pop on down here and
I'll let you wax a real quality boat with three piece construction, and
a quiet, fuel-efficient outdoor motor. I don't know or care where
Herring is going to use his new boat, but I do wonder why he needs 150
hp on a 1500-pound boat. Seems to me a 115 hp Yamaha would be a better bet.

My boat project for this morning is getting the damned Maryland
temporary registration stickers off the boat so I can affix the
permanent ones. These temp stickers must have some sort of superglue on
the back, because, unlike all the other stickers I have encountered,
they have resisted the storebrand un-stick-um goop. My heatgun burned
itself up three years ago. Grrrrrrrrrr.

*Then* I get to mows the lawn.