Default Troubleshooting a gas gauge

Got in the boat this weekend and when I fired it up, it was showing
*below* E on the gas gauge. I never run it much below just a tick
under 1/4, so I knew something was wrong. I filled it up at the gas
dock, and it's still showing hard below E, just as far down as the
hand can go.

Does anyone know the resistance value used for the float sender unit?
I know that the sender has a potentiometer (a "volume control") that
varies its resistance value between full and empty. The gauge sees
that resistance, and turn it into a reading. I just need to know what
values to look for so I can figure out if the gauge or the sender is
bad.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Jim Jim is offline

"Jack Goff" wrote in message
Got in the boat this weekend and when I fired it up, it was showing
*below* E on the gas gauge. I never run it much below just a tick
under 1/4, so I knew something was wrong. I filled it up at the gas
dock, and it's still showing hard below E, just as far down as the
hand can go.

Does anyone know the resistance value used for the float sender unit?
I know that the sender has a potentiometer (a "volume control") that
varies its resistance value between full and empty. The gauge sees
that resistance, and turn it into a reading. I just need to know what
values to look for so I can figure out if the gauge or the sender is
bad.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Short the sender to ground. The gauge should read full. The wire wound pot
is about 200 ohms, I think.

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Jack Goff wrote:
Got in the boat this weekend and when I fired it up, it was showing
*below* E on the gas gauge. I never run it much below just a tick
under 1/4, so I knew something was wrong. I filled it up at the gas
dock, and it's still showing hard below E, just as far down as the
hand can go.

Does anyone know the resistance value used for the float sender unit?
I know that the sender has a potentiometer (a "volume control") that
varies its resistance value between full and empty. The gauge sees
that resistance, and turn it into a reading. I just need to know what
values to look for so I can figure out if the gauge or the sender is
bad.

Thanks in advance for any help.

0-180 Ohms.

There are a couple of different ranges used. I know there are at least 2.
10-180 ohm
33-240 ohm

Short the teminal to ground and you should get a full reading. If not,
check that the sender has a ground wire. I had had a bad connector to the
ground screw one time.

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 18:09:30 -0400, Jack Goff wrote:

Got in the boat this weekend and when I fired it up, it was showing
*below* E on the gas gauge. I never run it much below just a tick
under 1/4, so I knew something was wrong. I filled it up at the gas
dock, and it's still showing hard below E, just as far down as the
hand can go.

Does anyone know the resistance value used for the float sender unit?
I know that the sender has a potentiometer (a "volume control") that
varies its resistance value between full and empty. The gauge sees
that resistance, and turn it into a reading. I just need to know what
values to look for so I can figure out if the gauge or the sender is
bad.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Check the rivet holding the connector for the ground wire on the sending
unit. Mine worked itself loose and the ground was lost. A new sending unit
solved the problem.
--
John H

Thanks, everyone. That's all I need to figure out the problem.

I'm sure it'll be the most difficult thing to replace. That would be
the gauge, the sender is a piece of cake. The gauge will require a
contortionist.

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 21:20:10 -0400, Jack Goff wrote:

Thanks, everyone. That's all I need to figure out the problem.

I'm sure it'll be the most difficult thing to replace. That would be
the gauge, the sender is a piece of cake. The gauge will require a
contortionist.

Jack, let us know what the problem was. I'm betting on the ground connector
on the sending unit.
--
John H

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 19:28:57 -0500, John H. penned the following well
considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

[...]

If you have to replace the sending unit, I recommend these over the
stupid floppy arm rheostat ones....

http://www.wemausa.com/specifications/specSSS.htm

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Oak Island, NC.

Homepage
http://pamandgene.idleplay.net/

Rec.boats at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats
-----------------
-----------------

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 08:24:05 -0400, Jack Goff penned the following
well considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

Swam to the side of the boat under the gas tank, and found the wires
that come out from the tank sender unit and pass under the boat.
Pulled on them, and they pulled right out... chewed completely
through.

WTF?

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Oak Island, NC.

Homepage
http://pamandgene.idleplay.net/

Rec.boats at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats
-----------------
-----------------

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 12:06:24 -0400, Gene Kearns
wrote:

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 08:24:05 -0400, Jack Goff penned the following
well considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

Swam to the side of the boat under the gas tank, and found the wires
that come out from the tank sender unit and pass under the boat.
Pulled on them, and they pulled right out... chewed completely
through.

WTF?

Muskrat love.

Troubleshooting an Anchor: JR North General 7 December 31st 06 10:42 PM
Troubleshooting an Anchor: basskisser General 0 December 30th 06 06:34 PM
Speedometer troubleshooting oelf92 Electronics 0 June 16th 06 06:06 PM
Diesel troubleshooting Mike General 38 March 25th 04 07:24 PM
Icom 802 troubleshooting Keith Electronics 29 November 24th 03 07:32 PM