Default Boat Dying

I have a 98 Searay with fuel injection. It will stall after running for a
while (20 to 30min) and setting (20min) and would start but die immediately.
I can hear the fuel pump pump up when you turn the switch on. It did this 2
years ago. I replaced the ignition module and the fuel pump relay. We did
not hardly use it last year. We were out today and it ran alright for well
over 30 minutes. We stopped and swam for 30 minutes. I pulled up to where
they hand drifted. We sat for 10-15 minutes and I started to leave. It
started OK but stalled immediately. It would start but die immediately. We
had to be towed into the dock. I am thinking vapor lock. The fuel filter
is new. I replaced the fuel pump in 2000 because of a recall from
mercrusier. Anybody have any thoughts.

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 19:35:09 -0500, "Wayne Brownlee"
wrote:

I have a 98 Searay with fuel injection. It will stall after running for a
while (20 to 30min) and setting (20min) and would start but die immediately.
I can hear the fuel pump pump up when you turn the switch on. It did this 2
years ago. I replaced the ignition module and the fuel pump relay. We did
not hardly use it last year. We were out today and it ran alright for well
over 30 minutes. We stopped and swam for 30 minutes. I pulled up to where
they hand drifted. We sat for 10-15 minutes and I started to leave. It
started OK but stalled immediately. It would start but die immediately. We
had to be towed into the dock. I am thinking vapor lock. The fuel filter
is new. I replaced the fuel pump in 2000 because of a recall from
mercrusier. Anybody have any thoughts.

Does the engine have a Mercruiser ECM (Electronic Control Module)? If
so I'd get a qualified tech with the proper diagnostic equipment to
have a look at it. There are a quite a few things that could cause
the condition you describe but the ECM data should give you a starting
point.

"Wayne Brownlee" wrote in message
I have a 98 Searay with fuel injection. It will stall after running for a
while (20 to 30min) and setting (20min) and would start but die
immediately. I can hear the fuel pump pump up when you turn the switch on.
It did this 2 years ago. I replaced the ignition module and the fuel pump
relay. We did not hardly use it last year. We were out today and it ran
alright for well over 30 minutes. We stopped and swam for 30 minutes. I
pulled up to where they hand drifted. We sat for 10-15 minutes and I
started to leave. It started OK but stalled immediately. It would start
but die immediately. We had to be towed into the dock. I am thinking
vapor lock. The fuel filter is new. I replaced the fuel pump in 2000
because of a recall from mercrusier. Anybody have any thoughts.

Check to see that there is very little restriction in the fuel line. Check
the screen in the tank. They seem to have weak low pressure pump. I ran
through 2 fuel filters and had to plumb out one to get pressure.

On Jul 31, 8:35 pm, "Wayne Brownlee" wrote:
I have a 98 Searay with fuel injection. It will stall after running for a
while (20 to 30min) and setting (20min) and would start but die immediately.
I can hear the fuel pump pump up when you turn the switch on. It did this 2
years ago. I replaced the ignition module and the fuel pump relay. We did
not hardly use it last year. We were out today and it ran alright for well
over 30 minutes. We stopped and swam for 30 minutes. I pulled up to where
they hand drifted. We sat for 10-15 minutes and I started to leave. It
started OK but stalled immediately. It would start but die immediately. We
had to be towed into the dock. I am thinking vapor lock. The fuel filter
is new. I replaced the fuel pump in 2000 because of a recall from
mercrusier. Anybody have any thoughts.

First. Make sure you don't have an ignition problem. You don't want to
be wasting time trying to fix a fuel problem if the coil or ignition
module has gone intermittant.
Jim

If it's vapor lock then it would work ok after it cooled down. Is it a
merc? Their ignition modules are very reliable. Could be the shift
interrupt switch if it is a merc alpha. Does it die as soon as you try to
put it into gear? You can test by diconnecting the interrupt switch on the
shift plate. It will be extremely difficult to get out of gear with the
interrupt disconnected but will go into gear and will run normally without
it.

If it dies after it gets into gear as you attempt to accelerate then it does
sound a bit like a fuel problem.

Death and Dying Mundo ASA 13 February 13th 07 07:20 PM
Dying Voltmeter? Jack Goff General 17 January 11th 07 05:18 PM
OT - Liberal ideas are dying Mule General 1 August 3rd 05 03:01 PM
i was dying to believe you some of my younger tags [email protected] ASA 0 April 22nd 05 10:34 AM
get your quickly dying tag without my obelisk [email protected] ASA 0 April 8th 05 03:19 PM