Default Volvo 5.7 vs Mercruiser 5.7

Looking at the 2008 Chapparal Sunesta and trying to determine which
motor would be the better option. We did test the 5.0 and the power
was pretty weak out of the hole and have not tried the 5.7 yet. Would
like to know Pros and Cons of this volvo vs mercruiser. Differences in
maintenance and such. Plan on using this boat for mostly cruising and
minor wakeboarding at Possum Kingdom Lake in Texas which has high salt
and mineral content for an inland lake.

Also does anyone know of any good mechanics in that particular area as
well (That can service Volvo IF we decide to go that route).

Thanks again for all your comments.

- Pauly

Both engines are the 350 chevy. The volvo outdrive is a more modern design
that the merc alpha. But there are a gazillion alphas out there so service
and parts are cheaper.

The 5.0 is the chevy 305. I would not expect vast differences. The 350
does have a tad more torque. There are higher hp offerings in the 350s but
expect to pay accordingly. The next engine size up is the big block 454 if
that is an option for that boat which also comes in a number of power
choices. The big block will be paired with one of the bravo drives in the
case of merc, not an alpha.

oups.com...

Volvo MD 5A Paulo Cruising 0 August 15th 05 08:30 PM
Volvo KAD 32 Black-n-Gold General 0 April 18th 05 08:52 PM
Mercruiser vs Volvo outdrive question Floyd in Tampa General 3 October 21st 04 02:12 AM
'97 Volvo 3.0 motor cliff General 1 June 18th 04 04:24 AM
volvo-penta vs mercruiser Fred General 1 September 28th 03 10:36 PM