Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
posted to rec.boats.paddle

Default Hobie Pedal-Sail-Paddle Kayak

Hi Paddlers,
I've had a Hobie Adventure Island kayak for almost a month now. I
love how it pedals and sails. The only time I paddle it is to go
backwards or sideways.
I've done several sails in winds ranging from 10 to 25 knots and it
is a blast. My top sailing speed is 9.1 mph, as measured with my
handheld Garmin Gmap 76 GPS. Sailing in high winds is a wet ride.
My top pedaling speed is in calm water is 6.7 mph. I can pedal
comfortably in the 4.5 to 5.2 mph range. I have the turbo fins rather
than the standard fins. Pedaling this 16' 65 pound kayak on calm water
feels like riding a bike on level ground in high gear. I did a 15 mile
pedal and felt tired but okay afterwards.
The kayak plus outriggers plus sail weigh 115 pounds and can handle
a load of 350 pounds. The kayak with pedal drive weighs 65 pounds. It
takes me about 10 minutes to install or remove the sail and outriggers.
This is my first sit-on-top kayak. It is very comfortable and is
similar to riding a recumbent bike, that is, pedaling while sitting in a
comfortable seat with a foot forward position.
Al K