Alan

Default What time of year to purchase a boat

All,

I'm looking to purchase a SeaRay 280. My question is the boat show in
annapolis maryland is coming in October. Is it best to buy a boat then
or wait till say December and buy off season? Or can I just get a good
deal now? Any thoughts/comments appreciated.

Thanks
Alan
Doug Kanter

It may vary slightly depending on your climate, which relates to the
dealer's perception of how much "buying season" is left. But, here in
upstate NY, two dealers I've visited are already saying "We could probably
do better on some of these, considering that it's August". They don't want
to pay interest on their money through the whole winter. Start haggling now.

"Alan" wrote in message
m...
All,

I'm looking to purchase a SeaRay 280. My question is the boat show in
annapolis maryland is coming in October. Is it best to buy a boat then
or wait till say December and buy off season? Or can I just get a good
deal now? Any thoughts/comments appreciated.

Thanks
Alan

Paul

Hehe, that's a good story. The surgeon always recommends surgery.

That reminds me of a funny story my cousin told me.

He had just started work at a Marina that also sold boats when he
heard the owner talking to a potential buyer about one of the boats.
The owner said, "This is the best time of year to buy a boat". After
the customer left my cousin asked the owner why it was "the best time
of year" to buy a boat.

The answer he got was, "It's ALWAYS the best time of year to buy a
boat."

Sean

Larry W4CSC

Drive down to Florida in the spring when the owners are staring at
that damned shallow ICW map all the way to Yankeeland in the face.
Why take the 50% wallet hit on a new piece of crap made out of putty
from SeaBayliner? There's some fantastic used boats sitting at the
dock in Florida just waiting for you to haul 'em home.

Man you can buy a helluva used boat for what SeaBayliner-Brunswick
wants for that 28 footer!.....

Take a look INSIDE the hull at what you're buying!
http://www.yachtsurvey.com/Fiberglass_Boats.htm

On 25 Aug 2003 18:23:29 -0700, (Alan) wrote:

All,

I'm looking to purchase a SeaRay 280. My question is the boat show in
annapolis maryland is coming in October. Is it best to buy a boat then
or wait till say December and buy off season? Or can I just get a good
deal now? Any thoughts/comments appreciated.

Thanks
Alan

Larry W4CSC

Maybe we could get the power grid fixed if every politician
regulating the power companies wasn't on their payrolls.

Gould 0738

Take a look INSIDE the hull at what you're buying!
http://www.yachtsurvey.com/Fiberglass_Boats.htm

You think he's buying a boat with a failed repair?

Funny, you don't direct him to Pasco's site where he praises the Sea Ray build
quality. Why is that, exactly?

Gould 0738

I asked:

Funny, you don't direct him to Pasco's site where he praises the Sea Ray

build
quality. Why is that, exactly?

Larry replied:

A picture is worth a thousand boat magazine ads......

No, no, no. I'm not suggesting that you should direct people to boating
magazine ads.

Allow me to restate:

Every time Sea Ray is mentioned in the NG, you trot out that link to one of
David Pasco's sites. It shows serious delamination on an old Sea Ray, with a
bunch of mismatched mystery goop behind the glass that is visually apparent to
differ from the original build material. As in this case, you say, "See what
you're buying! Look how Sea Ray is made!" You rely on David Pasco as an
authority to support your opinion.

So, my question is, why do you never direct people to the portion of the same
Pasco site where he discusses Sea Ray in depth (might even be the same model
the last guy asked about), and where he concludes that Sea Ray, although it has
a few faults, remains one of the best built boats you can buy?

Is it fair to use somebody as an authority to support your opinion if you're
going to
take one small item and blow it out of context and proportion while ignoring
that same person's extensive discussion of the actual boat in question?

Are you saying that Pasco's comments specific to Sea Ray are a "boating
magazine ad"?

And one final question, tongue in cheek.
You say:

A picture is worth a thousand boat magazine ads......

Hmmm. What if the boating magazine ad includes a picture? :-)
Gould 0738

No, not at all, oh spinning person......I rely on the PICTURES of pure
**** to drive home the point. They're not as stupid as you think.
They CAN think for themselves. Sea Ray hasn't sued Pascoe to get
falst statements and pictures off the net, have they?

I don't give a damn if Pascoe never typed a thing on this
website.....Just LOOK AT THE PICTURES is more than enough exposure to
the average Joe to tell he doesn't want to expose his family to this
kind or crap, from ANY boat company....

Larry W4CSC

Isn't it becoming more practical by the day to make
Iraq's desert the new World Nuclear Waste Disposal Site?

Looking at the pictures, oh angry and cursing person, is most beneficial when
one has the expertise to evaluate what is seen.

Just like Fox News, we should strive to be fair and balanced. Here's a comment
from
David Pasco regarding Sea Ray's general quality. What do you suppose he means
when he uses the phrases "hard to beat"
and "excellent (used boat) value"?

Quote:

Summing up: On the outside, the overall quality is pretty good. Not much
chintzy hardware, and the basic structures are holding up well. With care, it
still looks good. The rub rails aren't all loose, dented and falling off, and
stress cracking is minimal. As a used boat, it offers excellent value. As a new
boat, they're still hard to beat quality wise, but the quality margin over the
competition can be a pretty thin line at times.

Lloyd Sumpter

ANYTIME is the best time to purchase a boat!

Lloyd

sea eagle SR 12.6 mini-review Ken Stauffer General 2 August 25th 03 06:27 AM
Buying first boat w/ 3 partners ? BooBoo12321 General 24 August 21st 03 05:59 PM
I-LYA Regatta RGrew176 General 1 August 5th 03 02:34 PM
Priming a jet boat? Ragdoll General 15 July 31st 03 05:02 AM
Replacing part of the boat floor.... HELP!! [email protected] General 6 July 29th 03 10:46 PM