RGrew176

Default I-LYA Regatta

The I-LYA (Inter Lakes Yachting Association) held it's 110th regatta last week
at Put-in-Bay, Ohio.

We had a GREAT week. The weather was fantastic although a little hot by
Thursday and Friday. The severe thunderstorms did not pass through until after
the awards were all presented friday evening. The regatta is where many of the
I-LYA affiliated boat clubs get together in friendly competition. There are
several events to compete in.

Weather forecasting, just take a guess what the weather will be like the
following day at 3:00 PM (like the real weathermen do) and turn in your guess
by 5:00 PM the previous day. You just might win.

Docking contest. You pull into the dock and tie off. They set some marks 2' in
front of your bow and 2' behind your stern. You then push off and back out do a
360 degree rotation or turn and head back in and tie off. Your technique is
graded and you are timed. I took a 3rd place in this event. There are different
classes such as outboard, I/O and inboard both single and twin in each
application.

Chicane. In this contest you proceed forward through 4 placed buoys do a 360
degree turn or rotation and then proceed back through the buoys backwards. The
idea is to get as close to the same time backwards as you do forwards. I did
manage a 3rd place finish last year. There are several classes. Single
outboard, twin outboards. Single I/O, twin I/O's. Single inboard, twin inboards
and first thru third place finishes are awarded in each class. I did not do
well this year.

Compass navigation. You navigate a course by compass and also you have to
predict how long it will take you. You are graded by time and correctness of
heading. I have not tried this competition yet.

Predicted log. In this competition you run a set course. You must predict
exactly how long it will take you to run the course. You are only allowed to
use your compass no other navigational aids are allowed. You cannot wear a
watch or any timing device. A judge rides with you to record the times. The
closest to their predicted time is the winner. I have yet to compete in this
event.

Dinghy (inflatable) races. They are divided into classes. 9.8 HP and under. 9.9
HP to 14.9 HP. 15 HP to 24.9 HP and 25 HP and above. In the years I have been
participating there have been no participants above 15 HP. I have placed in
this event but not so this year. My inflatable has an air floor and most of the
ones who win have hard bottoms. They are hard to beat. You have the men's
competition followed by the ladies competition.

4 man canoe races. This is fun. We won our first two heats but lost our 3rd and
4th heats and finished 4th. No flag for us this time. This is the same as above
you have the mens followed by the ladies event.

Junior navigation. This is for the kids (12 to 18 . Three buoys are set and you
must proceed clockwise around the buoys and then turn around and do it again
counterclockwise. The idea is to have the same time in each direction. Then you
must use a compass and take readings from buoy 1 to 2, 2 to 3 and 3 to 1. You
are graded in each part and the winner is the one with the closest times and
the most accurate compass readings. Last year my stepson won the event even
though he had never piloted a dinghy until the day before when I took him out
to show him how to do it. He did not place this year, oh well there is always
next year.

Then there is my favorite event. The flying mile. In this event you run your
boat up to WOT and they use a radar gun to measure your speed. There are
several different classes. My class is Cruisers 32' to 37' in length and 451 Hp
to 550 HP I/O's. My 1999 3055 Ciera is powered by twin 5.7's @ 250 HP each or
500 HP. I ran a speed of 44 MPH to take a first place flag in this event. Not
to shabby for an almost 12000 lb boat. I had almost a full tank of gas and full
water onboard. I did tune up the boat (put in new spark plugs) because last
year I only ran 41 MPH but still good enough to win by 1 MPH. I had ordered
stainless props and hoped to have them in time for the event but they did not
arrive in time. I will have them for next year and hope to pick up at least one
more mile per hour with them. I have run in this event every year since 1999
except for 2001 and have won it each time so that is 4 first places in 5 years.
In 99 and 00 I also ran 44 MPH so I don't know if I can get any more speed out
of that hull. I may wax the bottom next year and see if that helps. I've got to
admit that Bayliner makes a pretty fast boat size for size. I wanted to
purchase and install two K & N filters in place of the stock flame arresters.
Supposed to give a boost to the engines because they allow the engines to
breathe better. But alas, the vertical clearance I needed to install them is
not there. Need 4 1/2" only have 4".

There were only 2 boats that ran faster than I did and both were offshores and
ran in a different class. One of them topped out at 76 MPH and the other at 68
MPH. One other boat ran 44 MPH but it was a single I/O and ran in a different
class. It was a 22 footer I believe.

It was a lot of fun. I am looking forward to next years regatta.

Don White

The next big event near my home waters is Chester Race Week
see http://www.cyc.ns.ca/raceweek/
It's been raining or foggy for a while and forecasted to stay the same until
this weekend.
We need a clear day to sail down as the trip will take a full eight hours
from our home club.