Default Inboard in salt water

I am looking at buying an older Ski Nautique inboard boat that was
used in fresh water. I was wondering if since I am going to be using
it in salt water if there is anything that I have to do to the boat
before I use it in salt water? I will be trailering it and flushing
it after every use. Thanks

My advice would be to make sure to have a galvanized trailer. Salt will make
minced meat of a painted steel trailer in no time. Other than that, make
sure the anodes are in good shape, and flush/wash it down good after every
outing.

Have fun with it!

--Mike

"JamesE" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am looking at buying an older Ski Nautique inboard boat that was
used in fresh water. I was wondering if since I am going to be using
it in salt water if there is anything that I have to do to the boat
before I use it in salt water? I will be trailering it and flushing
it after every use. Thanks

Thanks, I will check the anodes. The trailer looks to be a painted
one, so I was wondering how long this would last in salt water if I
washed it very thoroughly every time? It is the original trailer from
a 1985 boat so it is not worth much though it appears to be in good
shape. Is there anything I can do to make it last longer? Like maybe
painting it with rustoleum paint. I would like it to last two seasons
and then I can buy a galvanized one because after buying the boat I
won't have much money to spend on a new trailer right away.

"JamesE" wrote in message
oups.com...

Thanks, I will check the anodes. The trailer looks to be a painted
one, so I was wondering how long this would last in salt water if I
washed it very thoroughly every time? It is the original trailer from
a 1985 boat so it is not worth much though it appears to be in good
shape. Is there anything I can do to make it last longer? Like maybe
painting it with rustoleum paint. I would like it to last two seasons
and then I can buy a galvanized one because after buying the boat I
won't have much money to spend on a new trailer right away.

Just rinse it as best you can after each dunking, including the axles,
wheels, brakes (if it has them) and inside the frame tubes (if it has them).

Other than that, don't worry about it.

Eisboch
(on the Navigator Tuna Boat)

On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 15:19:21 -0400, "Eisboch"
wrote:

"JamesE" wrote in message
roups.com...

Thanks, I will check the anodes. The trailer looks to be a painted
one, so I was wondering how long this would last in salt water if I
washed it very thoroughly every time? It is the original trailer from
a 1985 boat so it is not worth much though it appears to be in good
shape. Is there anything I can do to make it last longer? Like maybe
painting it with rustoleum paint. I would like it to last two seasons
and then I can buy a galvanized one because after buying the boat I
won't have much money to spend on a new trailer right away.

Just rinse it as best you can after each dunking, including the axles,
wheels, brakes (if it has them) and inside the frame tubes (if it has them).

Other than that, don't worry about it.

Agreed.

Eisboch
(on the Navigator Tuna Boat)

Ever think about taking the lap top out on the other tuna boat?

Ever think about taking the lap top out on the other tuna boat?

You talking about the kayak? It's still up on the other boat in Scituate.
I plan to bring it down here to Kingman next time I come down. It would
work fine in the harbor and mooring areas as Kingman has an excellent WiFi
system. I haven't tried it in Scituate yet.

We are going to do a short haul on the Navigator the week after next and
powerwash, touch up the bottom paint as required, change the zincs and do a
general inspection. As a precaution we are also going to load up the fuel
with extra biocide and then polish it. I've got fuel that is probably 4
years old. After that, I plan to start using the Navigator again. Got the
itch.

Eisboch

On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 17:10:24 -0400, "Eisboch"

.. .

Ever think about taking the lap top out on the other tuna boat?

You talking about the kayak? It's still up on the other boat in Scituate.
I plan to bring it down here to Kingman next time I come down. It would
work fine in the harbor and mooring areas as Kingman has an excellent WiFi
system. I haven't tried it in Scituate yet.

We are going to do a short haul on the Navigator the week after next and
powerwash, touch up the bottom paint as required, change the zincs and do a
general inspection. As a precaution we are also going to load up the fuel
with extra biocide and then polish it. I've got fuel that is probably 4
years old. After that, I plan to start using the Navigator again. Got the
itch.

I totally understand the "itch". I really miss the Contender for
those blue water runs - in particular for years like this one seems to
be. I haven't had a bad day fishing yet.

I'm still thinking of a Grand Banks - something along the lines of
Pangea for just the two of us. Or maybe a Sundowner like Doug King
has only a little bigger.

I just can't bring myself to accept the whole slow boat to China
concept.

Well hey, if you plan on making a day trip, you have my email address.

The problem is the inside of the tubes (if it's a tube steel frame). No
amount of rinsing is going to flush inside the tubes. I suppose you could
flush it at a fresh water ramp by dunking it a few times. It's not going to
rust out overnight, but it *will* rust out over a couple of seasons.
However, if you plan on replacing the trailer down the road, I'm with the
other guys... flush it the best you can, and don't worry about it.

--Mike

"JamesE" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks, I will check the anodes. The trailer looks to be a painted
one, so I was wondering how long this would last in salt water if I
washed it very thoroughly every time? It is the original trailer from
a 1985 boat so it is not worth much though it appears to be in good
shape. Is there anything I can do to make it last longer? Like maybe
painting it with rustoleum paint. I would like it to last two seasons
and then I can buy a galvanized one because after buying the boat I
won't have much money to spend on a new trailer right away.

"JamesE" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks, I will check the anodes. The trailer looks to be a painted
one, so I was wondering how long this would last in salt water if I
washed it very thoroughly every time? It is the original trailer from
a 1985 boat so it is not worth much though it appears to be in good
shape. Is there anything I can do to make it last longer? Like maybe
painting it with rustoleum paint. I would like it to last two seasons
and then I can buy a galvanized one because after buying the boat I
won't have much money to spend on a new trailer right away.

I had a brand new enameled trailer back in 1984. After one season's use in
salt water the paint started to blister.
Could you sell that trailer to someone staying on freshwater lakes and apply
the proceeds to a new (or 2nd hand) galvanized trailer?

Thanks for the replies. I think I will try to sell the trailer and
buy a galvanized one since the salt water will ruin the trailer and
then it won't be worth anything. So I will see if anyone buys this
trailer and if not I will just use it as long as possible.