Gary

Default Which dripless stuffing box to buy?

I've had pretty good luck posting to this group, so I'll try once
more. I have a 30' Searay w/twin 350 inboards, shaft size is 1.25".
I would like to swap out my old stuffing boxes for the new dripless
kind. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm not afraid to spend some
extra money to get the best.
Thanks in advance.

Gary

Keith

Well, 1/4 more turn and it would be dripless. I don't mind having a cup of
water come through in 12 hours of cruising, and none while stopped. Sure was
easier and cheaper than a "dripless" packing system, which by the way can
catastrophically fail and sink your boat.

--

Keith
__
"WaIIy" wrote in message
On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 07:09:42 -0500, "Keith"
wrote:

I'll second that. Goretex is great stuff, and will result in an almost
dripless system if installed properly. See:

http://www.gore.com/sealants/english...icepacking.pdf

Keyword : "Almost"

BORDEN1000

Well, 1/4 more turn and it would be dripless. I don't mind having a cup of
water come through in 12 hours of cruising, and none while stopped. Sure was
easier and cheaper than a "dripless" packing system, which by the way can
catastrophically fail and sink your boat.

All excellent points.

BTW, did you try it in your rudder packing?

Greetings:

Where can I buy a small amount to repack my stuffing box / rudder port???

Thanks

BL

ps...I agree The "dripless" sounds cool, but it is too close to the bleeding
edge for me. My flax - soon to be gore-tex system is simple and proven.

Keith

I've never had to repack the rudder box, but I'll use the Goretex when I do.
You can buy it directly from them, but I think you have to call them. See
the site at: http://www.gore.com.

--

Keith
__