Default Laws of Nature aren't suspended for big boats

SEATTLE - Coast Guard Sector Seattle is investigating what caused a
touring vessel to run aground near Deception Island State Park on
Whidbey Island, Wash., at approximately 8 p.m. Thursday.
The 65-foot passenger vessel, Island Explorer II, had 52 people aboard
when it ran aground. Everyone aboard was safely evacuated and seven
passengers who had suffered injuries were taken to Island Hospital in
Anacortes for treatment. The extent of their injuries is not known at
this time.

Initial reports indicate that the vessel incurred hull damage and two
compartments began to flood. Pumps on board the vessel were able to
control the flooding. There are also no indications that the vessel
spilled any oil or released pollutants into the water.

The incident is currently under investigation.

###

If this boat was trying to run Deception Pass at 8PM last night, they
were only 40 minutes short of the peak flood of almost 4 knots. The
pass is narrow, littered with rocks along the edges, and major
whirlpools form unexpectedly when the current is running strong. The
news release doesn't say they were *in* Deception Pass, merely off the
state park, but if I had to place a bet I'd put money on this boat
getting into trouble in the pass itself.

It may not take all that much investigation to figure this one out if
the trouble was in the pass........error in judgment by the skipper.

"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Does the CG make a habit of checking for the cocktail factor when things
like this happen?

On Jun 8, 2:58?pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
[...]

like this happen?- Hide quoted text -

As far as I know, they do use ask folks suspected of boating while
impaired to blow a test. With over 50 people aboard, the skipper had
to have at least a 100-ton masters license and it would be a shame to
jeopardize that by drinking on duty. I'm leaning toward the "I can
make it, I've done it 100 times before" fallacy- but then again it's
only a guess that they struck a rock in the pass itself. Wit several
minor injuries requiring hospitalization, it had to be more severe
than a soft grounding.