Default Fuel / Oil Spill - is it normal ??

Hello,

I am new to boating. I have boat with a 135 Hp Mercruiser Alpha I Gen
II motor.
After coming from a lake trip and docking a boat I noticed a sheen of
(I am not sure) oil or fuel spreading from the outdrive. It was
spreading out slowely but I quickly pulled the boat out of the water
because I wasnt' sure what to expect. I am not even 100% sure it was
from my boat but I chose to believe that for safety. There was enough
sheen to surround my boat withing 15 min.

I checked the bilge and it was clean - no oil or fuel in it.
After pulling out the boat I did not see any oily residue/streak
anywhere on the outboard either.

I just bought this boat and I had a problem with (I think) dirty fuel.
Engine working unvenly mostly when idling when engine was hot. At the
time this happened the tank was almost empty with the dirtiest fuel
being sucked in and it was causing some engine shaking.

I went to a mechanic and he said that when the engine is being turned
off a cylinder may get a supply of fuel but not burn it because the
ignition is already off. This may discharge some fuel from the
exhaust. Since my engine was not working evenly (almost stalling on
idle) is it possible that it was spitting out more fuel than normal
and cause the larger then usual fuel sheen?
Perhaps there was not combustion in some cyliders due to dirty fuel
and some fuel escaped because of that.

I was also suspecting the outdrive lube but the check reservoir was
still full. The sheen was barely creating a color hue on the water. I
wonder if it can be told if it was created by a fuel or oil just from
looking at the sheen?

I did not put the boat back in the water yet because I need to
understand what possibly happened and if the dirty fuel / fuel line
could have caused this problem.
I definatly want to find out and don't want to spill anything in the
water.

Any thoughts anyone?

Thank you

More than likely one or two drops from the tilt rams. Oil usually used in
these is extremely thin & it is quite "normal" to lose the odd drop from
here. It helps lubricate the ram. (lol)
One drop on a smooth water usually looks like 40 gallons.
Just put the boat back in the water & enjoy yourself. hehe

ups.com...

On 29 May 2007 13:56:12 -0700, dobrygom wrote:

I am new to boating. I have boat with a 135 Hp Mercruiser Alpha I Gen
II motor.

It's possible you have a leaking seal on your outdrive and are leaking
gear lube. I had that happen once on my old boat.

I thought about a leaking seal on the outdrive too but the check
reservoir still shows full level of lube.
Is there a way to check how much of fuel/oil got spilled judgeing from
the area of the spill and the color of the sheen?
I would say in this case it was about 30 sq yards.
My friend also mentioned that on the other side of the lake was a gas
station and he often saw a similar layer there and the wind that day
was coming from that direction.
Maybe I thinik too much about it but since I am new to boating I try
to be on a safe side.

Thanks for your comments.