Default Rotary Steering on Whaler Montauk

A few weeks now after trying suggestions from this group: I filled
steering tube at motor with Marine grease, but still steers very, very
stiff to left and super easy to the right. So it looks like I just
need to replace the system... I will buy this one he
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te... 22&hasJS=true

How do I figure the length needed? I'll just take the old one out
first, but not sure what points to measure from.

On 24 May 2007 20:10:22 -0700, wrote:

A few weeks now after trying suggestions from this group: I filled
steering tube at motor with Marine grease, but still steers very, very
stiff to left and super easy to the right. So it looks like I just
need to replace the system... I will buy this one he
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te... 22&hasJS=true

How do I figure the length needed? I'll just take the old one out
first, but not sure what points to measure from.

If I remember your original post, you have a rack and pinion system
now rather than a rotary system?

If the current steering is rotary, then just measure the cable from
end-to-end. If the current system is rack-and-pinion, add about a
foot or two.

I don't remember how big your boat was, but the way to measure it is
to start at the steering wheel and follow the route of the original
cable.

That's about the only way to do it.

Thanks, it is rotary, as I was told and now can see. It's a round
helm , no rack and pinion.

Senior Member

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...ndard-item.jsp...

How do I figure the length needed? I'll just take the old one out
first, but not sure what points to measure from.

If I remember your original post, you have a rack and pinion system
now rather than a rotary system?

If the current steering is rotary, then just measure the cable from
end-to-end. If the current system is rack-and-pinion, add about a
foot or two.

I don't remember how big your boat was, but the way to measure it is
to start at the steering wheel and follow the route of the original
cable.

That's about the only way to do it.

Hey, is there much difference in his choice and the one I found he
http://store.boatdiscounters.com/saqucopa.html
If not I suppose I should probably go with cabellas for the known good
service reputation. I am powering a 16 foot Brockway (flat bottom
skiff) with a 25 horse, don't expect to go fast anytime soon.

Cabelas has that one too, check the site, it may even be cheaper!

Steering on '82 Montauk with 60 horse Johnson Motor [email protected] General 4 May 11th 07 03:47 AM
Lubricating Teleflex Steering - How? [email protected] General 6 June 30th 06 04:01 PM
Boston Whaler Montauk spray cover Gerald Atkin General 0 September 26th 04 05:38 PM
cable steering Gregory McGuire General 1 June 8th 04 12:52 AM
Boston Whaler Montauk Bill Kiene General 10 September 4th 03 02:56 PM