Default Outboard engine help please!!

I used 3 rebuild kits, replaced all gaskets, floats, float needles,
springs... I just notice that the 2nd cable off the throttle into the
motor is only for reverse anyway. So this is fixed high speed I guess.
I'll have to open the carbs up again and check the float distance,
they may be too far. The kit said 3/4" between gasket and float, but
the engine book says 1 1/8 between gasket and top of float. I may be
1/4" too much, would that make such a big difference?
BTW, after looking through this group archives, I found the tip about
heating the lower unit around the oil screws... Took 15 minutes total
for the job and now my oil is changed! No water came out.
I'll take it out tomorrow and fine tune the slow speed needle, I also
noticed that the steel pin which moves the entire 3 carb assembly was
1/2" away from the black plastic plate that engages it with the
throttle. This must be why I have some travel before I finally get
moving... I loosened the screw and adjusted slightly to test it for
now. I'm using a 50/1 mix but some seem to use 20/1 which would you
recommend? It's a 60Horse Johnson. Thanks for the help!

JD Power on Engines...... Chuck Gould General 31 February 17th 07 10:02 PM
Engine coupler Proxy General 14 July 17th 05 06:13 AM
Proper depth setting of outboard engine sherwindu Cruising 1 April 29th 05 01:36 PM
Usage of motoroil Steven Shelikoff General 153 September 17th 03 12:55 PM
Good outboard engine forums? Rob Pilgrim General 4 July 11th 03 12:30 AM