Default Sea Ray / Mercruiser reliability?

I'd like to get a motor boat.

The local dealer mainly sells Sea Ray.

I have read about problems with the Mercruiser motors as well as
corrosion and wet wood on the boats. Is this really a problem, or was it
just the unlucky guy?
(http://www.docksidereports.com/boatr..._sundancer.htm
http://www.everythingboats.com/ryob/...w&boat_id=1041
)

This is for a fresh water lake in Switzerland, and I am thinking of
either a small open boat (some 20 feet) or a cabin cruiser around 30
feet.

TIA

Marc

--
Switzerland/Europe
http://www.heusser.com

(http://www.docksidereports.com/boatr...=view&boat_id=...
)

This is for a fresh water lake in Switzerland, and I am thinking of
either a small open boat (some 20 feet) or a cabin cruiser around 30
feet.

TIA

Marc

--
Switzerland/Europe
http://www.heusser.com
remove CHEERS and from MERCIAL to get valid e-mail

I agree with the review that they are better than average boats, at
much higher than average prices. Are they worth the price, that's up
to you. As far as the Mercruser engines, their good engines, if
maintained properly. Do what your supposed to, prop the boat
correctly, and it'll last many years.

John

alid wrote:
I'd like to get a motor boat.

The local dealer mainly sells Sea Ray.

I have read about problems with the Mercruiser motors as well as
corrosion and wet wood on the boats. Is this really a problem, or was it
just the unlucky guy?
(http://www.docksidereports.com/boatr...=view&boat_id=...
)

This is for a fresh water lake in Switzerland, and I am thinking of
either a small open boat (some 20 feet) or a cabin cruiser around 30
feet.

TIA

Marc

--
Switzerland/Europe
http://www.heusser.com
remove CHEERS and from MERCIAL to get valid e-mail

If you are going to trailer it then these are not issues. If you plan
on leaving it in a slip on the lake then I
would recomend a real inboard instead of a mercruiser i/o. Boats get
most of their "wear" sitting in the
water exposed to the elements. If you trailer it and keep it properly
covered then it will last a long time.

On May 11, 9:26?am, Marc Heusser
alid wrote:
I'd like to get a motor boat.

The local dealer mainly sells Sea Ray.

I have read about problems with the Mercruiser motors as well as
corrosion and wet wood on the boats. Is this really a problem, or was it
just the unlucky guy?
(http://www.docksidereports.com/boatr...=view&boat_id=...
)

This is for a fresh water lake in Switzerland, and I am thinking of
either a small open boat (some 20 feet) or a cabin cruiser around 30
feet.

TIA

Marc

--
Switzerland/Europe
http://www.heusser.com
remove CHEERS and from MERCIAL to get valid e-mail

Two observations:

That's a David Pascoe review, and he has been known to make errors &
sensationalize.

The boat he's bashing is a 1995 model.

You might ask your Sea Ray dealer if there is wood used in any
structural portion of
the model you are considering. You may be surprised at how much
technology has
advanced in the last few years.

Mercruiser is owned by the same corporation that owns Sea Ray. The
Mercruiser will
be no more or less reliable in a Sea Ray than if it were installed in
any other boat brand,
and Mercruiser is probably the most commonly used gasoline engine in
the industry.

Sea Ray is a high quality product. If you like the boat, you can own
one with confidence.

Here's a link to a page with a video of the mechanized production
process used by Sea Ray.

http://www.searay.com/content/videos.asp?movie=Tech56K

Chuck Gould wrote:
On May 11, 9:26?am, Marc Heusser
alid wrote:
[...]

Before anyone accuses you of Spamming, let's just be honest. Don't you
get paid $100 every time you mention a specific boat brand? After all,
talk about sending your message out to a very large audience, there must
be 50 to 100 users who read rec.boats.

I followed up with a few of the major mfg'ers and they will only pay me
$50 to mention them in rec.boats, do you have any suggestions how I can
increase my pay check?

HK HK is offline

Marc Heusser wrote:
I'd like to get a motor boat.

The local dealer mainly sells Sea Ray.

I have read about problems with the Mercruiser motors as well as
corrosion and wet wood on the boats. Is this really a problem, or was it
just the unlucky guy?
(http://www.docksidereports.com/boatr..._sundancer.htm
http://www.everythingboats.com/ryob/...w&boat_id=1041
)

This is for a fresh water lake in Switzerland, and I am thinking of
either a small open boat (some 20 feet) or a cabin cruiser around 30
feet.

TIA

Marc

Keep shopping. For what you pay for a SeaRay, you can do a lot better.
They are overpriced substantially.

HK wrote:
Marc Heusser wrote:
I'd like to get a motor boat.

The local dealer mainly sells Sea Ray.

I have read about problems with the Mercruiser motors as well as
corrosion and wet wood on the boats. Is this really a problem, or was
it just the unlucky guy?
(http://www.docksidereports.com/boatr..._sundancer.htm
http://www.everythingboats.com/ryob/...w&boat_id=1041
)

This is for a fresh water lake in Switzerland, and I am thinking of
either a small open boat (some 20 feet) or a cabin cruiser around 30
feet.

TIA

Marc

Keep shopping. For what you pay for a SeaRay, you can do a lot better.
They are overpriced substantially.

SeaRay consistently ranks at the top with J. D. Powers Qaulity Index.

http://www.boaterslife.com/sea-ray-c...d.1425.3.6.htm

Reginald P. Smithers III wrote:

talk about sending your message out to a very large audience, there must
be 50 to 100 users who read rec.boats.

Hmmmm, let's see ... for the year 2006 there were 57,990 messages posted
to rec.boats by 2,252 different posters. That doesn't in any way count
the lurkers, which I would guess numbers in the many thousands. Check
it out he http://netscan.research.microsoft.com/Default.aspx

By the way, looks it like Netscan will be taken down at the end of the
month. Too bad.

Larry Weiss
"...Ever After!"

"Larry Weiss" wrote in message
Reginald P. Smithers III wrote:

talk about sending your message out to a very large audience, there must
be 50 to 100 users who read rec.boats.

Hmmmm, let's see ... for the year 2006 there were 57,990 messages posted
to rec.boats by 2,252 different posters. That doesn't in any way count
the lurkers, which I would guess numbers in the many thousands. Check it
out he http://netscan.research.microsoft.com/Default.aspx

By the way, looks it like Netscan will be taken down at the end of the
month. Too bad.

Larry Weiss
"...Ever After!"

I would guess that 2,200 of those 2,252 different posters are Reginald
Smithers and his various alias's. ;-)

HK HK is offline

JimH wrote:
"Larry Weiss" wrote in message
Reginald P. Smithers III wrote:

talk about sending your message out to a very large audience, there must
be 50 to 100 users who read rec.boats.

Hmmmm, let's see ... for the year 2006 there were 57,990 messages posted
to rec.boats by 2,252 different posters. That doesn't in any way count
the lurkers, which I would guess numbers in the many thousands. Check it
out he http://netscan.research.microsoft.com/Default.aspx

By the way, looks it like Netscan will be taken down at the end of the
month. Too bad.

Larry Weiss
"...Ever After!"

I would guess that 2,200 of those 2,252 different posters are Reginald
Smithers and his various alias's. ;-)

The a**hole faked one of my IDs here for months.