Default The Right Stuff for...

On Tue, 01 May 2007 01:07:58 GMT, "Calif Bill"

news
On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 14:36:51 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:

...a seam-filling project.

It's been a long time since I have worked on a wood boat, so long that
even if I could remember what I used to fill seams and then paint them,
I'm sure it no longer would be available.

So, here's what we have...a seam between two planks on a deck. I want to
fill the seam with some sort of material that will dry to a fairly
smooth, sandable surface, be waterproof, and be paintable.

Plastic Wood? Anything better? I remember some "Petit" brand products
from 50 years ago, but I doubt they're still manufactured.

Well, it depends on how bad the seam is.

You could use bedding compound which is a fairing composite which I
used to use years ago - Interlux still makes a good compound - a
little pricey.

Or, you could use lead putty which I also don't know if they make
anymore with lead powder and linseed oil.

There is another way to make a bedding compound which I saw used on a
Towne Class sail boat a couple of years ago - fine ground calcium
carbonate and linseed oil - make a paste.

There are other options like chopped oakum and linseed oil - probably
the best through is a bedding compound.

How about a butyl rubber compound. Isn't that the stuff they used on the
decks of battleships?

Oh, how about flipping the thing over and using it as a mold for a
carbon fiber boat?

Neat idea.

It is the deck, not the hull that is FUBAR.

On Tue, 01 May 2007 02:34:08 GMT, "Calif Bill"

.. .

wrote:

[...]

So what? You can still make a carbon fiber copy. :)

On Tue, 01 May 2007 02:34:08 GMT, "Calif Bill"

. ..

wrote:

[...]

But you do not have to flip the boat for the deck. :)

On Tue, 01 May 2007 10:28:47 GMT, Charlie Morgan wrote:

There are times though when nothing other than 5200 will do. My wife had a
car that had a wide, rubber band on the front bumper held on by whatever
adhesive General Motors used at the time. It kept popping off despite
several attempts by the dealer to reattach it. Finally, I remembered that I
had some 5200 and smeared some onto the back side of the rubber band, then
taped it in place against the bumper until it cured. It never moved again.

Eisboch

I didn't say it should NEVER be used. I just said that people use it in a lot of
applications where it is the wrong thing, exactly because it is so tenacious.
There are very few uses for it on a boat.

Tenacity can be a good thing. I've found many good uses for it and
always carry some on the boat.

Charlie Morgan wrote:
On 30 Apr 2007 19:17:21 -0700, wrote:

On Apr 30, 9:53 pm, Charlie Morgan wrote:
On 30 Apr 2007 17:26:39 -0700, wrote:

On Apr 30, 8:17 pm, "RCE" wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 30, 7:58 pm, "RCE" wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
. Oh by the way, chuck you farley, still waiting for
your valuable input here.- Hide quoted text -
Oooops, sorry charlie, guess I should have read your profile before I
asked about your valuable input. Not to worry, now that I have, I
won't be holding my breath.
What's a "profile"?
Eisboch
look at the top of the post next to your name where it says "view
profile". You can go there and read past posts by a poster to
determine if he/she has posted relavent information, or if they just
throw intellectually lazy attacks to gain attention. Me, sometimes I
troll, sometimes I try to add good info but you can make your own
judgements there.
Must be a "Google Groups" thing.
Eisboch- Hide quoted text -
Must be, either way it is a tool I will be using more often before
responding to trolls. The attacker here seems to be very contrarian in
many groups, without much positive input that I can see. Would still
like to hear his suggestion as a solution to the origional post, hell,
he could turn over a new leaf
The only thing worse than an uninformed newbie, is an arrogant and idiotic
newbie.

CWM- Hide quoted text -

Still don't have any useful info to provide huh. Silly old man, name
calling is so above you. Like I said, based on your posting history, I
would have expected less.

So says the useless bomb-thrower who has no posting history at all.

CWM

Just filter him out. Easy.
Senior Member

On May 1, 7:13 am, Wayne.B wrote:
On Tue, 01 May 2007 10:28:47 GMT, Charlie Morgan wrote:
There are times though when nothing other than 5200 will do. My wife had a
car that had a wide, rubber band on the front bumper held on by whatever
adhesive General Motors used at the time. It kept popping off despite
several attempts by the dealer to reattach it. Finally, I remembered that I
had some 5200 and smeared some onto the back side of the rubber band, then
taped it in place against the bumper until it cured. It never moved again.

Eisboch

I didn't say it should NEVER be used. I just said that people use it in a lot of
applications where it is the wrong thing, exactly because it is so tenacious.
There are very few uses for it on a boat.

Tenacity can be a good thing. I've found many good uses for it and
always carry some on the boat.

So as I move along to another summer of hard work and boating, I go
with the knowledge that the general concencus here, even with my
friend charlie is that 5200 indeed has several if not many uses on a
boat, including and most probably for harry whose repair will probably
be the last one his little boat needs. Someone should still paste him
my suggestion of Occoume, 5200, and a hand full of bronze silicone
ring nails available at most hardware stores or Glen-L.com.

Senior Member

On May 1, 8:55 am, Charlie Morgan wrote:
On Tue, 01 May 2007 07:13:47 -0400, Wayne.B

wrote:
On Tue, 01 May 2007 10:28:47 GMT, Charlie Morgan wrote:

There are times though when nothing other than 5200 will do. My wife had a
car that had a wide, rubber band on the front bumper held on by whatever
adhesive General Motors used at the time. It kept popping off despite
several attempts by the dealer to reattach it. Finally, I remembered that I
had some 5200 and smeared some onto the back side of the rubber band, then
taped it in place against the bumper until it cured. It never moved again.

Eisboch

I didn't say it should NEVER be used. I just said that people use it in a lot of
applications where it is the wrong thing, exactly because it is so tenacious.
There are very few uses for it on a boat.

Tenacity can be a good thing.

Yes, it can. Not always, though. Part of doing a job well is selecting
the right tool for the job. A sledgehammer, properly applied will
certainly cure a headache.

CWM- Hide quoted text -

In this case it is probably the perfect tool for harrys job but I can
understand your backpedal here. Don't worry, I am done with you, point
proved.

Senior Member

wrote:
[...]

Look, dimwit. I started out saying 5200 was appropriate for very few
jobs, and that's the postion I have maintained all through the thread.
So, where's the backpedal?

When you have a few minutes to spare, please stick a rope up your
ass... and then climb it.

CWM- Hide quoted text -

You started off saying and I quote:
"5200 is a bad suggestion. There are very few if any proper uses for
it on a
boat.
It's been more than a while. 5200 is the wrong tool for almost any job
you can
name on a boat other than rebedding a keel. Even that is open to
intelligent
discussion. Do you arc weld your key in the ignition to make sure it
won't fall
out? Brush your teeth with battery acid to make sure no food particles
remain?"
Now that more that one other boater has suggested several great uses
for it on a boat and you, still have not come up with a better
solution for the origional poster you are just getting crude. No more
from you now, please.

Senior Member

wrote:
[...]

Okay, so you admit there was no backpedal. When you get to the top of
that rope, say hi to your mother for me.

CWM- Hide quoted text -

My mom was a saint. Spent her life with art, music, church, theatre,
and children, playing the organ for my dad till the day she died. I
will not address your playground mentality anymore here unless of
course you actually come up with a better fix than the one I suggested
for the origional poster. And I guess you probably can't get much
lower or juvenile than to attack my mom anyway.