Default The Right Stuff for...

On 30 Apr 2007 16:50:43 -0700, wrote:

On Apr 30, 7:18 pm, Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 17:59:52 -0400, Harry Krause

wrote:
Wayne.B wrote:
On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 16:27:58 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:

Bondo? I don't think so.

I agree with that.

Ask the guys on rec.boats.building, someone will have a good
suggestion.

What kind of boat is this?

It's an old rowing dory. The hull is in good shape, the small forward
deck looks like pine. I might remove the deck entirely, and replace it
with a couple of pieces of 1" oak I have in the garage, or buy a nice
piece of marine ply.

Ahem...

I happen to have in dry storage, 12 pieces of 3 inch thick, 24 inch
wide, mostly clear pine which would be perfect for that project.

You'd have to resaw the planks, but they would be perfect.

I'll let you have them cheap.- Hide quoted text -

Wow, 24 wide, clear, air dried? I bet it was. Man I think I'm gettin'
a hard on. Wonder if you could even replace that at any price now
adays.

Well, it can be done, but it's hard to do. You can get custom millers
like Hull Forest Products over in Pomfret to find some for you, but
it's not easy.

I bought them about ten years ago for a boat project I wanted to do -
build a Swampscott Dory, but I became involved in a different
restoration project and just never got around to it.
Senior Member

On Apr 30, 8:17 pm, "RCE" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

On Apr 30, 7:58 pm, "RCE" wrote:
wrote in message

groups.com...

. Oh by the way, chuck you farley, still waiting for
your valuable input here.- Hide quoted text -

Oooops, sorry charlie, guess I should have read your profile before I
asked about your valuable input. Not to worry, now that I have, I
won't be holding my breath.

What's a "profile"?

Eisboch

look at the top of the post next to your name where it says "view
profile". You can go there and read past posts by a poster to
determine if he/she has posted relavent information, or if they just
throw intellectually lazy attacks to gain attention. Me, sometimes I
troll, sometimes I try to add good info but you can make your own
judgements there.

Must be a "Google Groups" thing.

Eisboch- Hide quoted text -

Must be, either way it is a tool I will be using more often before
responding to trolls. The attacker here seems to be very contrarian in
many groups, without much positive input that I can see. Would still
like to hear his suggestion as a solution to the origional post, hell,
he could turn over a new leaf

wrote:

[...]

Forgot to add that they are twelve feet long.
Senior Member

Wow, 24 wide, clear, air dried? I bet it was. Man I think I'm gettin'
a hard on. Wonder if you could even replace that at any price now
adays.

Well, it can be done, but it's hard to do. You can get custom millers
like Hull Forest Products over in Pomfret to find some for you, but
it's not easy.

I bought them about ten years ago for a boat project I wanted to do -
build a Swampscott Dory, but I became involved in a different
restoration project and just never got around to it.

Forgot to add that they are twelve feet long.- Hide quoted text -

OK, now you'r just rubbin' it in.

wrote:

Bondo? I don't think so.
I agree with that.

Ask the guys on rec.boats.building, someone will have a good
suggestion.

What kind of boat is this?

It's an old rowing dory. The hull is in good shape, the small forward
deck looks like pine. I might remove the deck entirely, and replace it
with a couple of pieces of 1" oak I have in the garage, or buy a nice
piece of marine ply.

Ahem...

I happen to have in dry storage, 12 pieces of 3 inch thick, 24 inch
wide, mostly clear pine which would be perfect for that project.

You'd have to resaw the planks, but they would be perfect.

I'll let you have them cheap.

A bit of overkill there. 3" thick? Sheesh.

RCE wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
. Oh by the way, chuck you farley, still waiting for
your valuable input here.- Hide quoted text -

Oooops, sorry charlie, guess I should have read your profile before I
asked about your valuable input. Not to worry, now that I have, I
won't be holding my breath.

What's a "profile"?

Eisboch

It's what you used to have before you started exercising.

wrote:

Bondo? I don't think so.
I agree with that.

Ask the guys on rec.boats.building, someone will have a good
suggestion.

What kind of boat is this?

It's an old rowing dory. The hull is in good shape, the small forward
deck looks like pine. I might remove the deck entirely, and replace it
with a couple of pieces of 1" oak I have in the garage, or buy a nice
piece of marine ply.

Ahem...

I happen to have in dry storage, 12 pieces of 3 inch thick, 24 inch
wide, mostly clear pine which would be perfect for that project.

You'd have to resaw the planks, but they would be perfect.

I'll let you have them cheap.

A bit of overkill there. 3" thick? Sheesh.

Hey - find a mill and have them resawed.

wrote:

Bondo? I don't think so.
I agree with that.

Ask the guys on rec.boats.building, someone will have a good
suggestion.

What kind of boat is this?

It's an old rowing dory. The hull is in good shape, the small forward
deck looks like pine. I might remove the deck entirely, and replace it
with a couple of pieces of 1" oak I have in the garage, or buy a nice
piece of marine ply.
Ahem...

I happen to have in dry storage, 12 pieces of 3 inch thick, 24 inch
wide, mostly clear pine which would be perfect for that project.

You'd have to resaw the planks, but they would be perfect.

I'll let you have them cheap.

A bit of overkill there. 3" thick? Sheesh.

Hey - find a mill and have them resawed.

Uh, this "deck" is a bit of cover for the anchor rode at the bow. It's
about 18" long, and maybe 18" wide at its widest point. It's shaped like
a triangle and is two pieces of maybe 1/2" pine support by a little bit
of frame. It looks original to the boat, which is at least 50 years old,
and has been living in a shed for a long, long time. The planks in the
hull are in pretty good shape, no rot, no cracks. I'm just messing
around with it at the moment.

news
On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 14:36:51 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:

...a seam-filling project.

It's been a long time since I have worked on a wood boat, so long that
even if I could remember what I used to fill seams and then paint them,
I'm sure it no longer would be available.

So, here's what we have...a seam between two planks on a deck. I want to
fill the seam with some sort of material that will dry to a fairly
smooth, sandable surface, be waterproof, and be paintable.

Plastic Wood? Anything better? I remember some "Petit" brand products
from 50 years ago, but I doubt they're still manufactured.

Well, it depends on how bad the seam is.

You could use bedding compound which is a fairing composite which I
used to use years ago - Interlux still makes a good compound - a
little pricey.

Or, you could use lead putty which I also don't know if they make
anymore with lead powder and linseed oil.

There is another way to make a bedding compound which I saw used on a
Towne Class sail boat a couple of years ago - fine ground calcium
carbonate and linseed oil - make a paste.

There are other options like chopped oakum and linseed oil - probably
the best through is a bedding compound.

How about a butyl rubber compound. Isn't that the stuff they used on the
decks of battleships?