Tim Tim is offline

Default Would a front rudder help steer the thing?

Well, it was way too far away (about 400 mi) for me to get, but I
almost pulled the trigger on a 30 ft. pontoon boat. Looked pretty
good. (deffinately not new) but had lots of potential. It had a junk
50 hp Chrysler on it, but the transom was thick and wll braced,a nd I
thought I've got the engine for it with the 115 V-4 Evinrude I now
have. so I was really getting itchy. then I though, now that thing
will steer like a log wagon because of its length. no tight
manuverability. For running the Ohio or Illinois river[s], and even
the Wabash in Indiana, and Carlyle lake it would be ok, too, and those
places are where I'd take it. But for getting in tighter turns would a
front rudder help steer it?
I know that cars and some pickups trucks have had 4 wheel steering for
years. And I didn't know if a small rudder mounted between the front
of the pontoons would be worthy on this size of a craft, or not.

I know I'm probably answering my own question, but it probably
wouldn't be that practical, otherwise they'd all be coming out with
them.

Any Ideas?

Thanks!

On Apr 14, 3:09�pm, "Tim" wrote:
[...]

Putting a second rudder on the front would likely result in capsizing
at any serious turn of speed.

"Chuck Gould" wrote
Putting a second rudder on the front would likely
result in capsizing at any serious turn of speed.

How you gonna get a serious turn of speed in a 30' pontoon boat?

"Ernest Scribbler" wrote in message
"Chuck Gould" wrote
Putting a second rudder on the front would likely
result in capsizing at any serious turn of speed.

How you gonna get a serious turn of speed in a 30' pontoon boat?

Wonder if a robust Minn Kota electric motor at the bow would assist
steering...... acting like a poor man's bow thruster.

Tim Tim is offline

On Apr 15, 8:12 am, "Don White" wrote:
"Ernest Scribbler" wrote in message

"Chuck Gould" wrote
Putting a second rudder on the front would likely
result in capsizing at any serious turn of speed.

How you gonna get a serious turn of speed in a 30' pontoon boat?

Wonder if a robust Minn Kota electric motor at the bow would assist
steering...... acting like a poor man's bow thruster.

Don, after the fact, i thougth of that myself. and with it cabled up
to the steering, it could also act as a rudder I suppose, or jsut
throw it in and use it to aid docking ect.

that's also and idea.

On Apr 15, 6:21�am, "Tim" wrote:
On Apr 15, 8:12 am, "Don White" wrote:

"Ernest Scribbler" wrote in message

m...

"Chuck Gould" wrote
Putting a second rudder on the front would likely
result in capsizing at any serious turn of speed.

How you gonna get a serious turn of speed in a 30' pontoon boat?

Wonder if a robust Minn Kota electric motor at the bow would assist
steering...... acting like a poor man's bow thruster.

Don, after the fact, i thougth of that myself. and with it cabled up
to the steering, it could also act as a rudder I suppose, or jsut
throw it in and use it to aid *docking ect.

that's also and idea.

The normal method of moving the bow somewhat independently of the
stern is to use a thruster, not a second rudder.

On Apr 15, 5:44?am, "Ernest Scribbler"
wrote:
"Chuck Gould" wrote

Putting a second rudder on the front would likely
result in capsizing at any serious turn of speed.

How you gonna get a serious turn of speed in a 30' pontoon boat?

With far too much horsepower. :-)

Tim Tim is offline

On Apr 15, 9:22 am, "Chuck Gould" wrote:
On Apr 15, 5:44?am, "Ernest Scribbler"
wrote:

"Chuck Gould" wrote

Putting a second rudder on the front would likely
result in capsizing at any serious turn of speed.

How you gonna get a serious turn of speed in a 30' pontoon boat?

With far too much horsepower. :-)

But Chuck, one doesn't have to run the engine wide open all the time.

I was thinking about low throttle, and bow assistance.

Pushing away from a dock, a thrusting device aka trolling motor would
be fine, but i was thinking more to make the craft more nimble under
weigh.

Dan Dan is offline

Tim wrote:
On Apr 15, 9:22 am, "Chuck Gould" wrote:
On Apr 15, 5:44?am, "Ernest Scribbler"
wrote:

"Chuck Gould" wrote
Putting a second rudder on the front would likely
result in capsizing at any serious turn of speed.
How you gonna get a serious turn of speed in a 30' pontoon boat?

With far too much horsepower. :-)

But Chuck, one doesn't have to run the engine wide open all the time.

I was thinking about low throttle, and bow assistance.

Pushing away from a dock, a thrusting device aka trolling motor would
be fine, but i was thinking more to make the craft more nimble under
weigh.

Tim,

How fast will you be moving where you need the added steering control?
The trolling motor idea sounds good for 5 MPH or so. Here's one with
a remote control for the steering!

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/produc...pg=fbm_terrova

Dan