Default Water Drain Plug

Hi all,

I have an old 14' Alumacraft boat. The boat does not have a water
drain plug so if I leave it on the trailer it fills up with water.
What I would like to do is add a drain plug to it. Has anyone here
ever done that?

Thanks,

Dave

"dave_in_mn" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

I have an old 14' Alumacraft boat. The boat does not have a water
drain plug so if I leave it on the trailer it fills up with water.
What I would like to do is add a drain plug to it. Has anyone here
ever done that?

Thanks,

Dave

I have not installed one before but it is an easy $13 fix.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Tempo...QQcmdZViewItem

http://tinyurl.com/2x9goh

On Apr 1, 3:52?pm, "JimH" wrote:
"dave_in_mn" wrote in message

oups.com...

Hi all,

I have an old 14' Alumacraft boat. The boat does not have a water
drain plug so if I leave it on the trailer it fills up with water.
What I would like to do is add a drain plug to it. Has anyone here
ever done that?

Thanks,

Dave

I have not installed one before but it is an easy $13 fix.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Tempo...eiver-Kit_W0QQ...

http://tinyurl.com/2x9goh

What sort of screws would you recommend, Jim?
He doesn't want to use bronze or steel fasteners on that fitting or he
will soon have a drain hole on that aluminum boat a heck of a lot
bigger than he wanted. The fitting itself is plastic, which eliminates
the corrosion from that source, but it looks like it needs to be
fastened on with screws and that might be a concern unless carefully
and properly done.

"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 1, 3:52?pm, "JimH" wrote:
"dave_in_mn" wrote in message

oups.com...

Hi all,

I have an old 14' Alumacraft boat. The boat does not have a water
drain plug so if I leave it on the trailer it fills up with water.
What I would like to do is add a drain plug to it. Has anyone here
ever done that?

Thanks,

Dave

I have not installed one before but it is an easy $13 fix.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Tempo...eiver-Kit_W0QQ...

http://tinyurl.com/2x9goh

What sort of screws would you recommend, Jim?

Actually I would think the installations calls for the use of nuts and
bolts, not screws.

1. Stainless nuts and bolts. The bolt holes in the hull would be oversized
so the bolts do not touch the hull. I would also use plastic sleeves to
encase the bolts, ensuring no contact with the aluminum.

or

2. Aluminum nuts/bolts. I would then use JB Weld to reinforce the outside
edges of the plug frame, both inside and outside the boat.

It is not a difficult fix Chuck.

On Apr 2, 7:50 am, "JimH" wrote:
"Chuck Gould" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Apr 1, 3:52?pm, "JimH" wrote:
"dave_in_mn" wrote in message

groups.com...

[...]

It is not a difficult fix Chuck.- Hide quoted text -

Jim, what would be wrong about using simple, easy to find aluminum
rivets?

"basskisser" wrote in message
oups.com...

On Apr 1, 3:52?pm, "JimH" wrote:
"dave_in_mn" wrote in message

[...]

They can't be tightened when necessary. And, to make them watertight, they'd
need as much fiddling with as nuts & bolts, so he may as well just use nuts
& bolts.

On 2 Apr 2007 00:06:03 -0700, "Chuck Gould"
wrote:

What sort of screws would you recommend, Jim?
He doesn't want to use bronze or steel fasteners on that fitting or he
will soon have a drain hole on that aluminum boat a heck of a lot
bigger than he wanted. The fitting itself is plastic, which eliminates
the corrosion from that source, but it looks like it needs to be
fastened on with screws and that might be a concern unless carefully
and properly done.

I have put a *lot* of stainless steel screws into aluminum back in my
sailing days. There is usually no issue at all unless you are in salt
water and want to get them out at a later date. In that case the
threads need to be coated with silicone sealant before installing.

On Apr 2, 4:50?am, "JimH" wrote:

It is not a difficult fix Chuck.- Hide quoted text -

No, it isn't. But mixing metals with an aluminum hull shouldn't be
done without some precautions. Thanks for adding the details to your
recommendation. :-)

On Apr 2, 7:50 am, "JimH" wrote:
"Chuck Gould" wrote in message

roups.com...

On Apr 1, 3:52?pm, "JimH" wrote:
"dave_in_mn" wrote in message

[...]

& bolts.- Hide quoted text -

It's easier to use and find aluminum rivets than aluminum bolts, nuts
and washers. It's also easy to to wring off an aluminum bolt.

Tim Tim is offline

basskisser wrote:

It's easier to use and find aluminum rivets than aluminum bolts, nuts
and washers. It's also easy to to wring off an aluminum bolt.

I'm sure it is easy "to to wring" off an aluminum bolt