Default Question: Mounting pedestal into floor of Carolina Skiff

Am owner of a used Carolina Skiff J-16. Would like to install a
pedestal seat forward of the side console station. Now sure is it's
okay to drill into the deck. Any advice would be welcome.

dunk wrote:
Am owner of a used Carolina Skiff J-16. Would like to install a
pedestal seat forward of the side console station. Now sure is it's
okay to drill into the deck. Any advice would be welcome.

You'd best call the factory; there's likely nothing substantial under
that deck that would hold the screws, and I don't believe the deck is
thick enough for fiberglass "molys."
Dan Dan is offline

Harry Krause wrote:

dunk wrote:

Am owner of a used Carolina Skiff J-16. Would like to install a
pedestal seat forward of the side console station. Now sure is it's
okay to drill into the deck. Any advice would be welcome.

You'd best call the factory; there's likely nothing substantial under
that deck that would hold the screws, and I don't believe the deck is
thick enough for fiberglass "molys."

I have no idea what a fiberglass "moly" is but Harry makes up crazier
**** than that. If he's imagining a "molly bolt" forget that and move on.

If the deck is thick enough, and there is some room to work under it, I
would consider cutting a hole maybe 18" away from the mounting point and
installing a flush, gasketed, deck plate. Now you can install your base
with proper backing plates and have access to tighten - or remove - the
base later. Make sure you use nylon lock nuts or some loctite to keep
everything in place. A little 3M 5200 under the base will also help if
you don't plan on removing it later. Use 316 stainless nuts, washers,
and backing plates for the best results in a salt water environment.

If you aren't sure if the deck is thick enough or if there is something
under it that would be in the way, I would contact Carolina Skiff for
help with that.

Good luck,
Dan

On 12 Mar 2007 11:32:09 -0700, "dunk" wrote:

Am owner of a used Carolina Skiff J-16. Would like to install a
pedestal seat forward of the side console station. Now sure is it's
okay to drill into the deck. Any advice would be welcome.

This site is full of CS owners with the answers you seek.
The CS is highly modifiable and these guys do it all.
I just read it and pine away in my basement.
http://groups.msn.com/CarolinaSkiffOwners/general.msnw

--Vic