Default The most important food to take is...

JLH wrote:
On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 09:44:11 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

"Don White" wrote in message
"Eisboch" wrote in message
. ..
snip..
I am just about at the end of the diet phase of my program. For the
first time in 37 years I am under 200 lbs. I've got about 5-6 more
pounds to go, then I'll just focus on the exercise.

Eisboch

Congratulations..that's quite a feat, especially in the winter when we
tend to spend more time indoors hiding from the cold.

Thanks. I am pleased with the results of the efforts. The weight lifting
and cardiovascular workouts are very rewarding in terms of physical
condition.
Now that I am very close to the final goal, I'll admit to the total amount
of weight lost
so far ..... 60 pounds.

I also learned a lot about diet and exercise. Much of the conventional
wisdom is being disproved and a lot of the commercial hype is myth.

Eisboch

Wow! Congrats. I need to drop about 20, but I really like to eat. Haven't
looked for a diet yet, and wouldn't know where to start. If you've got a
source for some good ideas, pass them on please.

Check out weight watchers, they seem to have some of the best long term
results, because they (like Richard) emphasize positive changes in your
choice of food, quantity of food, and exercise. The fact that you have
to weigh in once a week is a strong psychological encouragement to stay
on the course. Basically it emphasizes lots of fruits and vegetables,
drinking lots of water, limiting simple carbs and replacing them with
complex carbs and increasing your exercise.

If you look at any diabetic plan, you will find great meal plans that
will be very effective in having you eat healthy, in reasonable
quantities and will result in weight lose. If you lose 3 lbs a week
that is excellent results, you really don't want a quick weight lose
program.

"JLH" wrote in message

Wow! Congrats. I need to drop about 20, but I really like to eat. Haven't
looked for a diet yet, and wouldn't know where to start. If you've got a
source for some good ideas, pass them on please.

Forget the commercial diets. Research and then design your own program.

Good information at:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/weight-loss/WT00018

and also the various links and tools found on the bottom of:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bmi-calculator/NU00597

Eisboch

"Reginald P. Smithers III" "remove wrote in
message . ..

If you lose 3 lbs a week that is excellent results, you really don't want
a quick weight lose program.

That's one of the "conventional wisdom" beliefs that has recently been
studied and seriously questioned.

What was once considered to be "rapid weight loss" and prone to regaining
the weight
has been proven to have just the opposite effect for motivational and
biological reasons.

It really depends on how much weight you need to lose.

For some, Weighwatchers, NutriSystems, Atkins, South Beach, etc. work but
more people that have relied on those programs regain the weight than those
that stick to the basics.

Eisboch

Eisboch wrote:
m...

Bet 'cha didn't know this:

"Butter (Boston)lettuce contains lactucarium which has effects similar to
those of opium. Because of its sedative properties, it is recommended for
treating insomnia, intestinal spasms and palpitations. It is said that the
emperor Domitian "tortured" his guests at banquets by serving them a head
of lettuce at the beginning of the meal. Not allowed to nod off in front
of his imperial majesty, they were forced to fight off their sleepiness
for hours."

Fiendishly clever that Domitian dude.

You're right. I didn't know that. I've been eating it as I described
probably 3 or 4 times a week.
It seems to kill the "hungries" and is quite tasty.

I am just about at the end of the diet phase of my program. For the first
time in 37 years I am under 200 lbs. I've got about 5-6 more pounds to go,
then I'll just focus on the exercise.

Wanna know how I know that?

I have an allergy to Boston Lettuce.

Congratulations on the weight. I've still got another 40 or so to go.

Eisboch wrote:
"Don White" wrote in message
"Eisboch" wrote in message
. ..
snip..
I am just about at the end of the diet phase of my program. For the
first time in 37 years I am under 200 lbs. I've got about 5-6 more
pounds to go, then I'll just focus on the exercise.

Eisboch

Congratulations..that's quite a feat, especially in the winter when we
tend to spend more time indoors hiding from the cold.

Thanks. I am pleased with the results of the efforts. The weight lifting
and cardiovascular workouts are very rewarding in terms of physical
condition.
Now that I am very close to the final goal, I'll admit to the total amount
of weight lost
so far ..... 60 pounds.

I also learned a lot about diet and exercise. Much of the conventional
wisdom is being disproved and a lot of the commercial hype is myth.

Such as?

~~ Chuck's ears have got to be burning by now ~~

JLH JLH is offline

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 10:20:52 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

"JLH" wrote in message
.. .

Wow! Congrats. I need to drop about 20, but I really like to eat. Haven't
looked for a diet yet, and wouldn't know where to start. If you've got a
source for some good ideas, pass them on please.

Forget the commercial diets. Research and then design your own program.

Good information at:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/weight-loss/WT00018

and also the various links and tools found on the bottom of:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bmi-calculator/NU00597

Eisboch

Thanks! That's appreciated.
--
*****Have a Spectacular Day!*****

John H
JLH JLH is offline

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 16:16:25 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

Eisboch wrote:
"Don White" wrote in message
"Eisboch" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Why? We're discussing ways to make your boat go faster.

Besides, that sounded like something Donnie would say.
--
*****Have a Spectacular Day!*****

John H

Eisboch wrote:
"Reginald P. Smithers III" "remove wrote in
message . ..

If you lose 3 lbs a week that is excellent results, you really don't want
a quick weight lose program.

That's one of the "conventional wisdom" beliefs that has recently been
studied and seriously questioned.

What was once considered to be "rapid weight loss" and prone to regaining
the weight
has been proven to have just the opposite effect for motivational and
biological reasons.

It really depends on how much weight you need to lose.

For some, Weighwatchers, NutriSystems, Atkins, South Beach, etc. work but
more people that have relied on those programs regain the weight than those
that stick to the basics.

Eisboch

Richard,
Weigh****chers is the basics, it is basically a diabetic diet, limit
sweets, breads, eat more complex carbs, high fruits and vegetables,
limit meats. It is the type of diet doctors and nuitritonist would
recommend for long term health. The only difference is weekly meetings
for support. You obviously didn't need the support, but some do. I
would take a guess you followed weight watchers plan, without knowing it.

"JLH" wrote in message

Why? We're discussing ways to make your boat go faster.

Besides, that sounded like something Donnie would say.
--
*****Have a Spectacular Day!*****

John H

Does it cupcake? Nice of you to be thinking of me.

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 11:26:59 -0500, "Reginald P. Smithers III"
"remove wrote:

Eisboch wrote:
[...]

Probably pretty much what I've had success with. Eat a balanced diet,
control portion size to limit calories, and exercise.
It's easy enough if you set you mind to it. Also easy to fall away
from too. But once you've done it, like a bicycle, you can do it
again. I think with today's easy lifestyle, most people have to get
on the bike now and then....or just get fat.

--Vic