Default New Boat Discounts

Getting ready to purchase a brand spankin' new 34' crusier. $250K
+MSRP. What kind of discount should i be looking for off of MSRP in
order to get a "fair" deal. Not looking to break the bank or the
dealer, i need him to make $$ so that he can fix what ever breaks
under warranty!

thanks in advance,

Bob

blentz wrote:
Getting ready to purchase a brand spankin' new 34' crusier. $250K
+MSRP. What kind of discount should i be looking for off of MSRP in
order to get a "fair" deal. Not looking to break the bank or the
dealer, i need him to make $$ so that he can fix what ever breaks
under warranty!

thanks in advance,

Bob

Bob,

There is no set amount off of MSRP, like autos it depends upon demand
for that model in your area and the time of the year. I can remember
when a Honda Accord was selling for $1500 higher than MSRP.

The way I did it was to find 3 similar models from different mfg'ers, I
negotiated the best price on all all 3, than I used the lowest price as
an negotiating tool for my preferred model. If the dealer is selling
all he can get a X price, don't expect him to want to sell to you at X -
X%.

But as a general rule, I have found you have to be able to walk away
from the deal, if you really want to get a "fair" deal. It is amazing
how they will negotiate after you walked away, saying you had to look
at brand X again.

On Feb 13, 11:06?am, "blentz" wrote:
Getting ready to purchase a brand spankin' new 34' crusier. $250K
+MSRP. What kind of discount should i be looking for off of MSRP in
order to get a "fair" deal. Not looking to break the bank or the
dealer, i need him to make $$ so that he can fix what ever breaks
under warranty!

thanks in advance,

Bob

First, make sure the $250k is really MSRP. Probably is, if you're
considering a new 34-footer, but there's no Monroney label on boats
like you'd see on a car, so the retail price may or may not have
anything to do with what the manufacturer "suggests" the dealer ask
for the boat.

Some boats have about a 25-30% gross margin at MSRP- but there may be
more margin than that at work in the boat you're considering. That
said, don't expect a 25-30% discount or anything even remotely close.
Flooring costs start chewing into that gross on the first day the boat
is in inventory, One can say "I don't want to pay for the dealer's
inventory finance charges!", but most people are glad to be able to
take delivery of the boat they want when they want it or to have an
actual boat to examine while shopping and so that normal business cost
is an expensive part of the overhead intended to be covered by the
gross margin. Volume in the boat business isn't anything at all like
the automobile business, and you won't walk away with a new boat "back
of invoice" in most normal situations. To remain in business and take
care of you after the sale, a dealer needs to make many thousands in
profits, not just a few hundred. If I were buying a new boat, I'd
offer about 75-80% of MSRP and then be prepared to come up in a few
small increments (very, very, slowly and never without a concession
from the seller).

They say a "good deal" is one where the buyer and the seller are
equally unhappy with the price. :-)

Where you can usually save a lot is on the "locally installed
options". Whew!
My favorite example is the "electronics package". It isn't unusual to
see a group of items that one could buy retail at Boaters World or
West Marine for maybe $5000 lumped together into an "electronics
package" that adds $20,000 to the asking price. There's probably a
day's wages for a rigger ($20-30/hour for a real pro), two days at the
most, reflected in that $15,000 markup.
Figure the dealer paid close to catalog retail for the electronics
(and he probably did), but don't be afraid to ask to see a big chunk
of the rest of the package price moved to your side of the ledger. :-)

Be tough, but be fair in negotiations. You don't want to make an enemy
of the guy who will be taking care of any "isms" that need to ironed
out of the new boat. You should expect and allow the dealer to make a
reasonable profit, and, in fact, unless he does you probably aren't
going to get together on a boat deal. No matter what you pay when you
buy and asset that will depreciate faster than ice on a sidewalk in
August it will be "too much", so it's just a matter of degree.

You can always go get more money, but you can never get any more time
than you've got coming to you. Life is short, enjoy your boat, make
your best deal, and then don't worry too much about the amount of
profit the dealer made or what somebody else "claims" to have paid for
the same boat.

On Feb 13, 2:06 pm, "blentz" wrote:
Getting ready to purchase a brand spankin' new 34' crusier. $250K
+MSRP. What kind of discount should i be looking for off of MSRP in
order to get a "fair" deal. Not looking to break the bank or the
dealer, i need him to make $$ so that he can fix what ever breaks
under warranty!

thanks in advance,

Bob

Did you get a hard-on bragging about this? Did this statement make
your small penis seem bigger?
Rich ****s like you that spend a quarter million on a boat, make me
sick.Help the poor asswipe....then MAYBE you'll be rewarded after
death. Actually, I hope the ****er sinks as soon as you cast off!
Your probably another ****stain who hides money offshore so he wont
have to pay tax on it, aren't you?
Another economy raping CEO probably.

Your Worst ****ing Nightmare

Corsair23 wrote:
On Feb 13, 2:06 pm, "blentz" wrote:
Getting ready to purchase a brand spankin' new 34' crusier. $250K
+MSRP. What kind of discount should i be looking for off of MSRP in
order to get a "fair" deal. Not looking to break the bank or the
dealer, i need him to make $$ so that he can fix what ever breaks
under warranty!

thanks in advance,

Bob

Did you get a hard-on bragging about this? Did this statement make
your small penis seem bigger?
Rich ****s like you that spend a quarter million on a boat, make me
sick.Help the poor asswipe....then MAYBE you'll be rewarded after
death. Actually, I hope the ****er sinks as soon as you cast off!
Your probably another ****stain who hides money offshore so he wont
have to pay tax on it, aren't you?
Another economy raping CEO probably.

Your Worst ****ing Nightmare

Take a deep breath and count to 10.

It is possible that this guy contribute more money and a larger percent
of is income to charity, than you would ever consider.

It is possible that he can afford this boat, because he had invented a
service or product that saves lives at a lower cost than what was
available before.

You have no knowledge of this guy, except his can afford a $250,000 boat
and he wants to make sure the dealer makes enough profit to stay in
business and be glad to have him as a customer.

Sounds to me like the OP was reasonable, and you have some issues you
need to work on.

On Feb 14, 2:53 pm, "Reginald P. Smithers III" "remove
wrote:
Corsair23 wrote:
On Feb 13, 2:06 pm, "blentz" wrote:
[...]

need to work on.- Hide quoted text -

and he wants to make sure the dealer makes enough profit to stay in
business

Since WHEN do the rich worry about anyone but themselves? They make
their money off the backs of the poor. I have NEVER met ONE generous
rich person yet.And they wonder " why someone keyed my new Caddy?" I
bet his small penis grew from bragging about this.
It is possible that he can afford this boat, because he had invented a

service or product that saves lives at a lower cost than what was available before.

Why are YOU making excuses for him?

Its gotta be a economy raping CEO..........
" Hang the rich....then ask questions"

wrote:
Corsair23 wrote:
On Feb 13, 2:06 pm, "blentz" wrote:
[...]

You're also hiding behind a ficticious account name.....I DONT ****ing
hide.
Dont like me? Come to my neighborhood.........

ups.com...
wrote:
Corsair23 wrote:
On Feb 13, 2:06 pm, "blentz" wrote:
[...]

Your name is Corsair? A boating robber.

JLH JLH is offline

On 14 Feb 2007 11:32:23 -0800, "Corsair23" wrote:

On Feb 13, 2:06 pm, "blentz" wrote:
Getting ready to purchase a brand spankin' new 34' crusier. $250K
+MSRP. What kind of discount should i be looking for off of MSRP in
order to get a "fair" deal. Not looking to break the bank or the
dealer, i need him to make $$ so that he can fix what ever breaks
under warranty!

thanks in advance,

Bob

Did you get a hard-on bragging about this? Did this statement make
your small penis seem bigger?
Rich ****s like you that spend a quarter million on a boat, make me
sick.Help the poor asswipe....then MAYBE you'll be rewarded after
death. Actually, I hope the ****er sinks as soon as you cast off!
Your probably another ****stain who hides money offshore so he wont
have to pay tax on it, aren't you?
Another economy raping CEO probably.

Your Worst ****ing Nightmare

Are you pretending to be JimH on a rant, or are you just jealous that
someone may have more initiative, more education, and worked harder than
you did?

Do you think there's no one in the group who has a boat that's at least 34'
long? Are all of them 'rich ****s'?
--
***** Have a super day! *****

John H

On Feb 14, 11:32�am, "Corsair23" wrote:
On Feb 13, 2:06 pm, "blentz" wrote:

Getting ready to purchase a brand spankin' new 34' crusier. $250K
+MSRP. What kind of discount should i be looking for off of MSRP in
order to get a "fair" deal. Not looking to break the bank or the
dealer, i need him to make $$ so that he can fix what ever breaks
under warranty!

thanks in advance,

Bob

Did you get a hard-on bragging about this? Did this statement make
your small penis seem bigger?
Rich ****s like you that spend a quarter million on a boat, make me
sick.Help the poor asswipe....then MAYBE you'll be rewarded after
death. Actually, I hope the ****er sinks as soon as you cast off!
Your probably another ****stain who hides money offshore so he wont
have to pay tax on it, aren't you?
Another economy raping CEO probably.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *Your Worst ****ing Nightmare

Get real.

This is 2007, not the 1950's. Scrimping and saving to spend $250,000
on a boat doesn't put anybody into the "rich ***k" category. Hate to
break it to you, but $250,000 is not much money in this day and age.
2-3 times the price of a luxury car, or about a year's income for a
family with two breadwinners in upper-middle management at decent
jobs.

Spending a year's income on a boat is not ridiculous, especially as it
can be an enduring asset that will can be owned and enjoyed for 15-20
years and the money put into the boat would normally have gone into
some other form of recreational spending (skiing, flights to Europe,
time share condo, etc) if it weren't being spent on the boat.

Most people who own and enjoy a decent boat do so *instead* of
something else, not in addition to everything everybody else is
enjoying.

I just did a photo shoot on and write-up on a boat that is $3.4mm. Now
in my opinion that's getting pretty well out of sight for the majority
of us, and whoever winds up owning it proably could be considered
"rich" by most standards- yet I wouldn't be surprised in the least if
the 1/10 of 1% of the population able to comfortably afford such a
boat were once again spending only about a year's income (maybe much
less) on its purchase.

So if you're spending weekends in a 1969 16' Reinell with a rotten
plywood transom and an engine that blows more oil than the Exxon
Valdez, (and if that represents a year's income to you) it's probably
not the fault of people who own modest boats like a 34-footer. Why
take your anger out on somebody who possibly made better choices along
the line? Your first problem, apparently, is that you think $250,000
is still a lot of money.......in an era where "millionaires" are as
common as "hundred-thousandaires" were maybe 15-20 years ago. (If I
saw $1mm blowing down the street you can bet I'd stop to scoop it up,
but if I ever got lucky enough to have that sort of money I'd never
claim to be "rich" in the modern economy). In November 2006, the
average American household had a net worth of $465,000. Considering
the 10's of millions of Americans living in near poverty (or worse),
there are a lot of multi-million net worths out there in this day and
age to bring the average up to $465,000.

Cite:

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...00Million.aspx

Your second problem may have something to do with your anger that
somebody is enjoying a moderate amount of success in life. Who knows?
With a check-up from the neck up you too could soon be earning at a
rate that would allow you to afford a $250,000 boat.

Condolences to the OP who ventured into rec.boats to meet up with a
hostile response from some guy who needed to make repeated references
to the male
organ. Do stick around, this type of nonsense used to be, but isn't
really any longer commonly encountered here.