posted to rec.boats.paddle

Default Newbie question, Baltic sea near Stockholm, which Kayak?

"Moby Dick" wrote in
oups.com:

Maybe he meant 5 figures in Swedish kroner.....

Nope. Five figures in US dollars. I've seen a couple sites that custom
cedar strip boats with a price tag over $10,000. Here's one example:
http://www.cedar-strip.com/pages/services.html

On the other hand, I spent about $750 to build my cedar strip Outer Island

On Feb 11, 6:55 pm, Steve Cramer wrote:
John Fereira wrote:
On the other hand, you can also buy pre-built cedar strip boats.
I've seen them advertized from several places in the 5 figure range.

Do you really mean 5 figures, as in $10,000+ or 4 figures, the first
of which is a 5? I can agree with the second. Careta Boatworks makes a
nice stripper for ~$5000. I think Allen Sinquefield's baidarkas are
quite a bit less.
http://www.sinquefieldcustomboatworks.com/index.htm

Of course, they're not in Sweden

Steve

posted to rec.boats.paddle

On Feb 12, 12:53 pm, "Moby Dick" wrote:
Maybe he meant 5 figures in Swedish kroner.....

Or he was counting the cents. :-)

Sounds to me like you want to rent different boats until you've tried
out a dozen hulls, then make a decision based on personal preference
and experience. Don't fall into the trap that only the newest, best,
most expensive boat is acceptable; marketing hype is just that...hype.
Whatever works best for you is the best boat to have. And a good used
boat will hold its value a LOT longer than the newest rage.

--riverman

posted to rec.boats.paddle

On Feb 11, 8:54 am, "Moby Dick" wrote:
Hi Folks, I just joined this group a few minutes ago. Rather than
search the postings, I'm going to ask a newbie question which has
probably been asked a million times....

What kayak should I buy?

Here's the skinny, I may (90% probability) be transfered (as part of
my job, not as soem sort of Star Trek beaming up and over process) to
Stockholm, Sweden. My wife and I are trying to figure out what hobbies
we can do and since we've both kayaked (in the sea) several times in
the past few years, we though we'd like to take up kayaking much more
seriously.

I don't want to buy a beginner kayak that I'd grow out of real quick.
I don't want something too advanced either.

I just bought an issue of "Canoe & Kayak" and wow there are a lot of
manufacturers of Kayak. Google searches also reveal numerous
sources.....I was also surprised how expensive these babies can be!

I got a formal letter today saying that a formal offer wold be made
for my Sweden assignment. So it looks like there's some kayaking in my
future! I appreciate all the input, especially the advice to reant a
few before buyings and the links to various Swedish kayaking stores.

posted to rec.boats.paddle

John Fereira wrote:
"Moby Dick" wrote in
oups.com:

Maybe he meant 5 figures in Swedish kroner.....

Nope. Five figures in US dollars. I've seen a couple sites that custom
cedar strip boats with a price tag over $10,000. Here's one example:
http://www.cedar-strip.com/pages/services.html

On the other hand, I spent about $750 to build my cedar strip Outer Island

Yes, but you were building a boat. The 12 kilobuck example there is
described as "An art exhibit and collector's item." I think you need to
be deeply into the conspicuous consumption mindset to buy a $12K kayak.
Don't think that's exactly what our friend Moby had in mind.

Steve

Usenet note: I seem to be middle posting here. There are groups where
top posting is preferred, I believe. My preference is to comment
directly below the statement I'm replying to.

John Fereira wrote:
On the other hand, you can also buy pre-built cedar strip boats.
I've seen them advertized from several places in the 5 figure range.
Do you really mean 5 figures, as in $10,000+ or 4 figures, the first
of which is a 5? I can agree with the second. Careta Boatworks makes a
nice stripper for ~$5000. I think Allen Sinquefield's baidarkas are
quite a bit less.
http://www.sinquefieldcustomboatworks.com/index.htm

Of course, they're not in Sweden

Steve

Trim and its affect on helm (newbie question) Dave General 1 October 20th 06 12:34 AM
Kayak Newbie Question of the Week Steve Cramer General 1 July 17th 06 07:34 AM
Newbie PFD question rb608 Touring 8 December 9th 05 11:56 PM
newbie q: kayak with a space for a backpack. revyakin Touring 6 September 13th 03 05:42 PM
Group newbie with a prop question... WildestDream General 4 August 29th 03 05:30 AM