Default What paint shoudl I use

I had to remove my Westerbeke 5kw Diesel generator from my boat this
weekend for some maintenance. The rails that the generator is mounted to
are badly rusted, so I want to take this opportunity to clean them up
thoroughly and re-paint them so that they won't be rusting again in the near
future.

What type of primer and paint should I use for this job? Would this paint
also be acceptable to touch up the generator. There are a few rusty spots
on it.

Thanks!

Gary

Ed Ed is offline

I use rustoleum.... It seems to work well on my gen and engine. I
don't use it on the exhaust mainly because it just burns off anyway.

one issue if you use a lot of it...I painted one day, left the dock the
next day and my generator died and I had to run the blowers for a couple
hours before it would restart. Mains worked fine... strange... I
suggest painting and then allowing to dry and then run the blowers for a
while before and during use for the first few days.

Gary wrote:
I had to remove my Westerbeke 5kw Diesel generator from my boat this
weekend for some maintenance. The rails that the generator is mounted to
are badly rusted, so I want to take this opportunity to clean them up
thoroughly and re-paint them so that they won't be rusting again in the near
future.

What type of primer and paint should I use for this job? Would this paint
also be acceptable to touch up the generator. There are a few rusty spots
on it.

Thanks!

Gary

The generator will probably be out of the boat for a few weeks, so I doubt
running the blower will be necessary. It will be good and dry when it goes
back in.

No mention of primer? Do I not need any for Rustoleum? Is this a special
marine grade of Rustoleum or is it what I can buy at a normal hardware /
home improvement store?

Thanks again!

Gary

Gary wrote:
I had to remove my Westerbeke 5kw Diesel generator from my boat this
weekend for some maintenance. The rails that the generator is mounted

are badly rusted, so I want to take this opportunity to clean them up
thoroughly and re-paint them so that they won't be rusting again in the

near
future.

What type of primer and paint should I use for this job? Would this

paint
also be acceptable to touch up the generator. There are a few rusty

spots
on it.

Thanks!

Gary

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 18:28:25 GMT, "CalifBill"
wrote:

Rust-Lock Metal Prep from West Marine works well to convert rust to
non-rust.

As does Ospho, available at most hardware stores.

"Wayne.B" wrote
As does Ospho, available at most hardware stores.

I found a good Ospho knock-off at Autozone. I forget the name. Green liquid
in a white bottle, near the bondo and such.