Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
posted to alt.sailing

Default Preventing Dismasting

I have been reading a lot of articles about peple that got caught in bad
weather. Some of them lose their masts and some don't. Obviously getting
Dismasted is pretty bad so I was wondering about peoples opinions undere
severe conditions. I am new to sailing so i am still learning here.

The conditions I am thinking are that if you have a good strong heavy boat
made well for blue water cruising and get caught in heavy wind and seas that
may pose a threat to tearing your boat apart what do you do reccommend doing?
Lets say that the sails have been reefed to as small as possible and it is
still to hard to hold onto the rudder and keep her sailing. I have read, and
heard, that most boat are better at sailing than the people sailing them,
meaning that many people fight the rudder and try to sail in a particular
diretion when you can try to sail as much into the wind as possible and fight
the rudder less so that you don't snap a rudder cable. Should you try and
let the boat lead in really rough weather or is that just not possible?
Would it be a good idea to drop all sails, put out a sea anchor and go below
waiting it out? What are the potential problems here?

I want to assume that all safety gear is on board in working order and in use.
Also that you are not close enough to land to have to worry about running
aground, say 500NM out. This would also mean that you waould have no way of
sailing in before the storm hits to ride out the waether on land.

Thanks,
Bill

stain line preventing [email protected] General 11 April 14th 06 03:08 PM
Preventing pump impeller freeze up? Roger Long Cruising 8 October 15th 05 04:55 PM
Preventing Rot ?? Gary Warner General 15 August 3rd 04 04:44 AM
Preventing Rot ?? Gary Warner Boat Building 19 August 2nd 04 05:11 PM
FS. Fiberglass dinghy 7.5 ft, Dover, sails,rows in SF Bay Area MLapla4120 Marketplace 0 May 15th 04 09:20 PM