Default What did your boat dock..................

.........cost you this year? How big is your dock and what amenities
does your marina offer?

For us, $1,525. Drive up dock, 25 foot floater with water, electric
and dock box. The marina has 250 slips total, a pool, clubhouse and
top notch mechanics. The owners (3rd generation) live on site.

http://www.romps.com/

We moved to this marina because of our bad experiences with the dufus
*OMC Certified* mechanics at the marina we were at last year.

So how about you?

On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 17:25:04 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

On 1/7/2007 5:14 PM, JimH wrote:
........cost you this year? How big is your dock and what amenities
does your marina offer?

For us, $1,525. Drive up dock, 25 foot floater with water, electric
and dock box. The marina has 250 slips total, a pool, clubhouse and
top notch mechanics. The owners (3rd generation) live on site.

http://www.romps.com/

We moved to this marina because of our bad experiences with the dufus
*OMC Certified* mechanics at the marina we were at last year.

So how about you?

That's about the price, give or take, for a similar sized slip at the
local fisherman's marina. No pool or clubhouse, but a nice, smelly fish
cleaning station, general store, clean bathrooms, running water and
electric.

You cannot imagine what the fish cleaning station smells like in July
and August. Well, maybe you can!

Is Jimmy asking his silly questions again? What won't that boy do for
recognition and self esteem?
--

John

JimH wrote:
........cost you this year? How big is your dock and what amenities
does your marina offer?

Free. I brought in the boat so late in the season they didn't have the
heart to charge... In principle a 2.5m wide marina slip is 170
eurobucks per season. (No that's not the same as boat dollars!

Includes water and electricity. What's a drive up dock and a dock box?

No mechanics or pools of any kind but there is a clubhouse, it's not
fancy. This part of the marina is run by a volunteer organization - it
costs 35 bucks per year to be a member. The storage locker costs a bit
extra. Our part must be over 200 slips in the marina.

Risto

Varis wrote:
JimH wrote:
........cost you this year? How big is your dock and what amenities
does your marina offer?

Free. I brought in the boat so late in the season they didn't have the
heart to charge... In principle a 2.5m wide marina slip is 170
eurobucks per season. (No that's not the same as boat dollars!

Includes water and electricity. What's a drive up dock and a dock box?

No mechanics or pools of any kind but there is a clubhouse, it's not
fancy. This part of the marina is run by a volunteer organization - it
costs 35 bucks per year to be a member. The storage locker costs a bit
extra. Our part must be over 200 slips in the marina.

Risto

What a deal you have.

To answer your questions:

A drive up dock is one that you can park your car directly in front of.

A dock box is a box at the dock to store stuff you don't want to carry
aboard during the season, such as water toys.

There is nothing fancy about our marina either. It is just a nice
place with a solid reputation, including their mechanics staff. Our
good friends are also docking there within walking distance.

I will not be using the pool but my wife will during those times when
the Lake is stirred up and I decide to tinker with the boat.

It is that time of year for us up north to start to think about warm
weather and boating. ;-)

Tim Tim is offline

I'm not really sure what West Access Marina charges anymore, but back
in the mid 80's it was high. at leas, I thought it was high. For my
old ChrisCraft '27 ft. Cavalier, the cost was about a hundred per month
on a 9 month lease. may seem like a bargian today, but int he mid 80's
it wasnt' the greatest, especially for what one got. no shore power,
no water , nust a floating dock to tie up to. Security wasn't the
finest either. It's changed a lot over the years though, with new
owners and re-doing a lot of stuff. There's no pool, because the park
has a public swim beach right next to the marina. Seeing I don't have
any big barges, I'll trailer mine to the lake, and pay the $3.00 (or
$30.00 unlimited for the yr.) launch fee at the ramp, which is insisted
by the Army Corps of Engineers. I may pay for membership in the Marina
boat club, though. I'll just see what they ahve to offer this year.

Tim wrote:
[...]

$100 in 1985 is $178 in 2005 dollars. In those terms that dock would
cost over $1,600 today.

Tim Tim is offline

JimH wrote:

$100 in 1985 is $178 in 2005 dollars. In those terms that dock would
cost over $1,600 today.

Yes, if not more.

Here's their website. it's sort of vague, but tells you a little bit
about the place.

http://www.westaccess.com/

Default SPF 15, 30 or 45

What kind of suntan lotion does everyone keep on board their boat? do
you prefer oil or lotion? How much do you normally use in a season?

I try to keep on of each on board, so I have one of each. I buy the big
bottle of generic lotion and one bottle will last the season.

What is everyone's else favorite?

"Reginald P. Smithers III" wrote in message
. ..
What kind of suntan lotion does everyone keep on board their boat? do you
prefer oil or lotion? How much do you normally use in a season?

I try to keep on of each on board, so I have one of each. I buy the big
bottle of generic lotion and one bottle will last the season.

What is everyone's else favorite?

Congratulations! I think this is the first semi-boating related topic
you've posted on in months.
Keep up the good work.

Tim Tim is offline

Some people over at Olney IL had a cottage on less than a half acre lot
for about 20 yrs. He and his wife sold the lot, got rid of his pontoon
boat and runabout, and moved into town. the main reason he told me was
because he got tired of paying about $400 per month in reality tax. to
them it sure took the fun and joy outof having lake property. PLUS!
he was sick of running the fisheren off his dock and fishing around his
boat. he showed me gouges where people would cast a line and snag his
interiour, then cut the line and leave the hook . They ahd a 16th
birthday party for his daughter on his nice dock, and people were boat
fishing were coming up to the dock and asking if they could use the can
in the house etc.

wrote:
On 7 Jan 2007 14:14:42 -0800, "JimH" wrote:

........cost you this year? How big is your dock and what amenities
does your marina offer?

For us, $1,525. Drive up dock, 25 foot floater with water, electric
and dock box. The marina has 250 slips total, a pool, clubhouse and
top notch mechanics. The owners (3rd generation) live on site.

http://www.romps.com/

We moved to this marina because of our bad experiences with the dufus
*OMC Certified* mechanics at the marina we were at last year.

So how about you?

Comparison to owner dock.
I paid $72.5k in 1984 for a house with a dock. I have spent about
$4000-$5000 since then on dock improvements and maintenance, (lift and
new pier added, all my labor). The extra taxes probably go about $300
a year this year over a similar house across the street without a
dock.
Granted that is probably $400-500k now, even in this market but I am
not selling
Considering they are selling "Dockaminiums" here for $300k plus a
hefty mounthly fee, buying a house with a diock is not out of line.