Default Think you're ob$e$$ed with the *boating* hobby? (slightly OT)

Who knows how, but I have found my way onto the email list of some
model railroad company.
(I don't do model railroads).....

Today they sent a message titled "The Largest Model Railway in the
World", along with a link. I looked, (probably ensuring that I'll get
another 100 messages over the next year).

It seems that some folks in Germany have invested over 7 million USD
developing an overwhelming train layout. They even control daylight and
darkness to scale - apparently a day passes in about 15 minutes.

Next time I think my boat is expensive, I'll remember that it would be
possible to spend $7,000,000
and wind up with nothing more than a glorified Lionel outfit. :-)

As there is some indelible association between model trains and the
holiday season, most boaters like techno stuff, and because it is
useful to realize that other people have obsessions just as compelling
as owning a boat, here's the link:

http://www.miniatur-wunderland.de/data/cms/en/200/

Chuck Gould wrote:
[...]

I was amazed by the photos of the railroad

On 20 Dec 2006 14:14:39 -0800, "Chuck Gould"
wrote:

[...]

I love trains! Thanks for the site.
--
John H

*Have a great Christmas and a spectacular New Year!*

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 17:19:03 -0500, "Reginald P. Smithers III"
wrote:

Chuck Gould wrote:
[...]

You know, this may sound weird, but had anybody else been reminded of
a bad Japanese Godzilla movie?

With Godzilla stomping the hell out of the models? :)

no, these models were MUCH better than Godzilla.

I used to love when a big splash would occur in the water, and you would
see drips of water running down the mountain in the background.

Chuck Gould wrote:
[...]

I've been looking at a garden size Birney Safety Streetcar.
I'd like to get one to travel around the Christmas tree.
These street cars were in use in Halifax until spring of 1949 so the
only time I would have ridden in one was in my mother's belly.
http://home.istar.ca/~jazzsax/

dt dt is offline

wrote:

[...]

And it has a picture of a boat!!!

http://www.miniatur-wunderland.de/ph...avien/7504.jpg

Complete with 1:87 scale barnacles. Man, those people need a hobby.

Oh, wait...

DT

Snipped:

Complete with 1:87 scale barnacles. Man, those people need a hobby.

Oh, wait...

DT

Good gosh . . . imagine the concept . . . putting barncles on a
boat!!!!

Merry Christmas all!

John

Chuck Gould wrote:

As there is some indelible association between model trains and the
holiday season, most boaters like techno stuff, and because it is
useful to realize that other people have obsessions just as compelling
as owning a boat, here's the link:

http://www.miniatur-wunderland.de/data/cms/en/200/

Thanks, that was a great relief. So there must be nothing wrong with
spending the Christmas by trying to figure out whether inboards are
better than outboards for maneuvering in heavy weather...

Risto

Hobby Horse? Gordon Cruising 19 December 17th 06 10:28 AM
OT New hobby Don White General 123 January 20th 06 08:01 PM
Hobby horsing and water ingress JAXAshby ASA 0 June 5th 04 01:51 PM
Only Slightly OT Jim General 1 November 19th 03 04:18 AM