Default Portable AC

Does anyone have any experience using one of these 12V portable AC
units on a boat. They look like a good option, but I was curious if
anyone had any feedback on how they cool and how much ice they use.
The website says 20lbs an hour which is a lot, wondering if anyone has
used this before. http://www.swampy.net/ac12.html

258Vista wrote:
Does anyone have any experience using one of these 12V portable AC
units on a boat. They look like a good option, but I was curious if
anyone had any feedback on how they cool and how much ice they use.
The website says 20lbs an hour which is a lot, wondering if anyone has
used this before. http://www.swampy.net/ac12.html

I'm wondering why the ice chest? Just to pump hot air in and suck cold
out, might as well use a cardboard box.

Sam Sam is offline

"basskisser" wrote in message
ps.com...

258Vista wrote:
Does anyone have any experience using one of these 12V portable AC
units on a boat. They look like a good option, but I was curious if
anyone had any feedback on how they cool and how much ice they use.
The website says 20lbs an hour which is a lot, wondering if anyone has
used this before. http://www.swampy.net/ac12.html

I'm wondering why the ice chest? Just to pump hot air in and suck cold
out, might as well use a cardboard box.

You're not really that dumb, are you?

258Vista wrote:
Does anyone have any experience using one of these 12V portable AC
units on a boat. They look like a good option, but I was curious if
anyone had any feedback on how they cool and how much ice they use.
The website says 20lbs an hour which is a lot, wondering if anyone has
used this before. http://www.swampy.net/ac12.html

I'm wondering why the ice chest? Just to pump hot air in and suck cold
out, might as well use a cardboard box.

You're not really that dumb, are you?

What difference would it make? The function of an ice chest is to
insulate. If you are pumping hot air into it, why would you need to
insulate it? If you think different, show me the science.

258Vista wrote:
Does anyone have any experience using one of these 12V portable AC
units on a boat. They look like a good option, but I was curious if
anyone had any feedback on how they cool and how much ice they use.
The website says 20lbs an hour which is a lot, wondering if anyone has
used this before. http://www.swampy.net/ac12.html

I'm wondering why the ice chest? Just to pump hot air in and suck cold
out, might as well use a cardboard box.

You're not really that dumb, are you?

What difference would it make? The function of an ice chest is to
insulate. If you are pumping hot air into it, why would you need to
insulate it? If you think different, show me the science.

I don't think the insulated cooler is as necessary as something that
will hold the water after the ice melts. This is besides the fact I'm
just wondering if this thing works well and if it really requires that
much ice. 20 lbs an hour is not really an option when you are on a
boat, but if 20lbs would cool the cabin for a night that would be cool.

258Vista wrote:

258Vista wrote:
[...]

Waterproof cardboard. I'm sure it uses that much ice. Just think you
have to exchange thermal energy. So, you have to put a lot of heat into
the thing to get cool air out. That is exactly why an insulated cooler
is useless. You are blowing hot air directly into the thing, and it is
immediately expelled out as cool air. The replier that said I was
stupid must fail to understand this.

Sam Sam is offline

"basskisser" wrote in message
ups.com...

258Vista wrote:
Does anyone have any experience using one of these 12V portable AC
units on a boat. They look like a good option, but I was curious if
anyone had any feedback on how they cool and how much ice they use.
The website says 20lbs an hour which is a lot, wondering if anyone has
used this before. http://www.swampy.net/ac12.html

I'm wondering why the ice chest? Just to pump hot air in and suck cold
out, might as well use a cardboard box.

You're not really that dumb, are you?

What difference would it make? The function of an ice chest is to
insulate. If you are pumping hot air into it, why would you need to
insulate it?

This unit works by pumping cold *water* through a heat exchanger, not air
across ice.

If you think different, show me the science.

The science is basic- heat always moves to cold.
The cooler is insulating the ice from absorbing heat from whatever it is
resting on, thus saving the ice for where it can be used more efficiently-
in the heat exchanger.

258Vista wrote:
[...]

Horse****!!! The science is cold is simply lack of heat. You are
blowing the same exact air across the ice that the ice would be exposed
to. If you are pumping 90 degree air into that cooler, what difference
would it make whether or not the container was insulated??? Try it.
Take a given amount of ice and put in a ice chest. Place another in a
cardboard box. Blow the same exact amount of air into each, with the
same exact equipment, and the same exact exhaust. Measure the
temperature of the exhaust. Guess what? They'll be the same.

On 7 Dec 2006 07:36:47 -0800, "258Vista" wrote:

Does anyone have any experience using one of these 12V portable AC
units on a boat. They look like a good option, but I was curious if
anyone had any feedback on how they cool and how much ice they use.
The website says 20lbs an hour which is a lot, wondering if anyone has
used this before. http://www.swampy.net/ac12.html

How are you gonna get 20lbs of ice per hour on a boat? You'll have to
stay at the marina, where you might as well plug in a regular air
conditioner.

Steve
Tim Tim is offline

258Vista wrote:
Does anyone have any experience using one of these 12V portable AC
units on a boat. They look like a good option, but I was curious if
anyone had any feedback on how they cool and how much ice they use.
The website says 20lbs an hour which is a lot, wondering if anyone has
used this before. http://www.swampy.net/ac12.html

I like the testimonials:

Mitchell Oates of Mooresville, NC. (President, Charlotte Chapter of the
Electric Auto Association e-mailed:
"Last summer, on days when temperatures were in the 80's, having the
Icester on medium and blowing out into the cab kept the cab comfortable
on the way to work. Running on high this same way actually made it very
cool in the cab and I would have to direct air flow away from me as it
would start to get uncomfortably cool on exposed skin. On days when
temperatures were in the 90's, I would turn the Icester so that it was
blowing directly on me.While the cab itself was on the muggy side,
having the air blow directly on me kept me comfortable. Two bags of ice
from a local store fill the ice chest to capacity, and even on high on
the hottest days, on arrival at work, more than half the ice was still
left.

Why didn't the "President" of the Auto Electric Association, jsut get
his auto air conditioner fixed?